Diagnostic 9 low volts

AndyOz

Reaction score
Visit site
Became another statistic of car vs bike.(Not the FZ)
4 months later back to trying to get this FZ sorted.
Display reading just over 5volts.when in diagnostic mode 9
Battery charged and tested, Kill switch continuity fine.
First time this has occurred and previous issues aside, finally got it tick over issue free.
The only electrical components not tested are the wiring loom and the ECU
Any suggestions please.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While reading the voltage on the display did you also measure the battery voltage with a multimeter?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To test the battery it should be fully charged and then load tested. Don't jump start the bike from a car if the car engine is running or you may damage or destroy the regulator rectifier assembly. What are your charging voltages?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To test the battery it should be fully charged and then load tested. Don't jump start the bike from a car if the car engine is running or you may damage or destroy the regulator rectifier assembly. What are your charging voltages?

+100^^^.

Yank the battery, charge it and load test it- Basic's first..

*Just curious, how did you "test" it?

AndyOz

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. As the basics have been covered it's components that effect the return path to give this 5.3v on display.
Although the bike won't tick over due to loss of cylinders, cranking is not an issue or loss of ignition to any cylinders. So protection mode but no fault codes.?
Working my way through the manual, is the diagnostics in the ABS applicable here.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. As the basics have been covered it's components that effect the return path.
Although the bike won't tick over due to loss of cylinders, cranking is not an issue or loss of ignition to any cylinders.

Did you LOAD TEST the battery since last posting??

I take it, NOT answering, you didn't load test it, (especially when checking voltage thru the dash and NOT at the battery itself.)

And how did you test it before?

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. As the basics have been covered it's components that effect the return path.
Although the bike won't tick over due to loss of cylinders, cranking is not an issue or loss of ignition to any cylinders.

Sounds like it may be a fuel issue,

If the bike sat for a while a rodent may have nested and gnawed through something.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like it may be a fuel issue,

If the bike sat for a while a rodent may have nested and gnawed through something.

I'd like to confirm the battery is good before jumping about. Seems we may not know...

That, or he did get it load tested, found it to be bad, replaced it and disappeared..

Lastly, if someone can clarify:

Quote "return path to give this 5.3v on display. Although the bike won't tick over due to loss of cylinders, cranking is not an issue or loss of ignition to any cylinders" End quote..

Is the engine spinning over normally, just not firing off?

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to confirm the battery is good before jumping about. Seems we may not know...

That, or he did get it load tested, found it to be bad, replaced it and disappeared..

Lastly, if someone can clarify:

Quote "return path to give this 5.3v on display. Although the bike won't tick over due to loss of cylinders, cranking is not an issue or loss of ignition to any cylinders" End quote..

Is the engine spinning over normally, just not firing off?
I agree there seems to have been a problem in articulating what the issue was. At first I thought there was a problem with source voltage. Now I believe the op is saying there is another problem. The motor turns over okay and there is spark but it does not fire.
Now I'm thinking a fuel problem possibly related to electrical in relation to the ECU or wiring. Talking about fuel. What condition is the fuel?

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If there is a fuel problem, confirm there is 12vdc nom. at the fuel pump and fuel injectors supply. This voltage comes from the same fuse through a relay in the starting circuit-cut off relay assembly. If the bike starter turns over the engine but you have no injector or fuel pump, check for a blown fuse and then insure you have voltage from the starting circuit-cut off relay assembly. The wire color code from that assembly is red with a blue tracer. Another simple confirmation would be hearing the fuel pump prime sound when the key is turned to the on position.
Do you hear the fuel pump prime?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Considering it's 9:58am on Thursday in Oz, the op will have to answer us from the future:p

AndyOz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, sorry for the frustration. Still get really bad days so can only do occational visits.
Please move on from the battery (Electrician predominantly DC environment)
Bike cranks over trys to start, cylinders 2,3 exhaust cool. Both coil sets new, a failed cap replaced
Able to run onboard diagnostics yesterday code 62 shows history exists 1 no code No. and not able to reset. No other issues.
Dig into the wallet and replace the ecu?
Fuel pump primes, main fuses, back up fuses all good.
Working my way through the schematic, starting circuit cut off relay checks out with volts in and out.
No bad fuel but need to verify fuel solenoids. Relay activatings on diagnotics
Hope to get back at it on Monday. Thanks again.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you physically check for spark at all 4 spark plugs? Results?

If you do have spark at all 4, did you try spritzing some fuel down the throttle bodies and see if there's progress?

BTW, per the sticky in this forum, there is no code 62 (listed per the owner of the site based in Canada).

**Does your bike have an immobilizer system?

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As Scott points out, a shot of fuel or ether will no doubt give an idea if there is a fuel related problem. Is the Check engine light flashing when you try to start the motor?

Both the coils and the fuel injectors are operated in concert through the ECU providing ground paths for each of those systems. Insure the ECU has ground continuity through the color coded wires black and black with white tracer at the ECU plug.

Last edited:

AndyOz

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a yes to all four plugs. New plugs installed too.
I'll get onto the fuel sugestion and update to verify firing plus earth path.
Diagnostic code 62 "malfunction code reinstate" i believe this would not reinstate while a fault condition exists.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a yes to all four plugs. New plugs installed too.
I'll get onto the fuel sugestion and update to verify firing plus earth path.
Diagnostic code 62 "malfunction code reinstate" i believe this would not reinstate while a fault condition exists.

I think if you clear the codes and don't try to restart the engine the codes will be cleared but if you try to start the engine afterward and the referee throws a flag on the field you'll have a new error code. If the ref isn't throwing a flag there will be no new code.
The ECU looks at the coils and injectors and if it doesn't see the expected voltage and current it will push an error code.
If you have spark, and compression you should get at least a temporary start by putting a tiny bit of fuel into the throttle bodies.

If it kicks you'll know it's fuel starvation.

AndyOz

Reaction score
Visit site
All four fired. Slight warmth to down pipes
After on starting, the initial check clears on the clocks and on start engine warning light comes on and cylinders 1,4 not firing. Runs on 2,3
Just to verify primary coils resistance 2ohm secondary 14.53, 14.77kohms caps at 9.5kohm
Battery maintains 12.8volts.
Unfortunately no electronic schematics out there as to where this fuel system voltage check comes from (Have to assume the ECU) especially when i'm 12v+through the relay
Nothing coming up everything happy on on board diagnostics test, coils, fuel solenoids (even the headlight) except for 9 &62 showing low volts and history.
Also had the time to measure the values of the bikes components.
The yellow/green wire from the ECU to the clocks multi function meter, is that output from the ECU and value?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All four fired. Slight warmth to down pipes
After on starting, the initial check clears on the clocks and on start engine warning light comes on and cylinders 1,4 not firing. Runs on 2,3
Just to verify primary coils resistance 2ohm secondary 14.53, 14.77kohms caps at 9.5kohm
Battery maintains 12.8volts.
Unfortunately no electronic schematics out there as to where this fuel system voltage check comes from (Have to assume the ECU) especially when i'm 12v+through the relay
Nothing coming up everything happy on on board diagnostics test, coils, fuel solenoids (even the headlight) except for 9 &62 showing low volts and history.
Also had the time to measure the values of the bikes components.
The yellow/green wire from the ECU to the clocks multi function meter, is that output from the ECU and value?

Yellow with green tracer from ECU should be to the lean angle sensor. Yellow with a blue tracer is a data line that sends data to the instrument readout multi-function meter from the ECU.
If a diagnostic #9 is showing low volts you may have a bad run switch. The FZ6 is known to have a high frequency of failure with the kill switch. Sometimes jumping the kill switch tells a story. If there's resistance there, you may be feeding the coils with a lower amount of current/voltage than is required. The red with blue tracer wire that feeds the fuel pump and fuel injectors should be the nominal posittive12 vdc. If that voltage is significantly lower than the battery voltage you may have a bad relay in the "Starter circuit cut off relay assembly.

If all 4 cylinders fired and all 4 pipes are warm you may have a problem with the ECU operating the 1,4 fuel injectors. Check the ECU plug for a corroded pin. Both the coils and the injectors are fed with a steady positive 12 vdc and the ECU grounds the respective device, (coil or injector) to operate them in time. If the ground side is lost either through a connection or the switching transistor inside the ECU there will be a failure.
If you use a 12 light probe on the injector negative side and measure to ground when you crank the motor you should see the light pulse. Test 1,4 injectors and 2,3 injectors to see if the pulses look alike.
If you get a pulse on 2,3 but no pulse on 1,4 you can check the wiring through the plug to the ECU. No pulse with a good connection and steady light may mean the ECU control transistors for the 1,4 injectors is bad.

Last edited:

AndyOz

Reaction score
Visit site
Good feedback, Yes yellow/blue Thanks for clarifying.
I'll revisit the shutoff circuit (previous test, I believe, 2ohm - test lead resistance) can't see where i scribbled that one down.
Need to purchase/rig up a 12v lamp test for the remaining tests.
Back when completed
Again thanks for the insights.