Did the Air box mod, got pics!

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
I did a modification to my airbox yesterday. So far I only removed the snorkel.
The sound was more brutal. I went to the German Autobahn and I was able to hit 238km/h before it was 237km/h so it is not more powerful.

I did not remove the battery. I'm thinking of drilling small holes in the front where you have I big hole. I want done kind of filter so bigger things don't get inside the airbox.

Saturday I'm getting a pcv installed and the bike gets dyno tuned.

Now my question is if it is useful to make those extra holes. I need to do it before the dyno to get the mapping right.

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
I did some extra.reading and I'm gonna cut a extra but out above the current intake hole. Or I'm gonna drillsome big holes in that region. I want to leave the front closed to keep out more dirt and leaves.

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking the same. Instead of totally removing a huge chunk of the airbox how about using a hole saw to cut say 4 x 30mm holes? People have been doing that for years on cars (did it myself a few years ago on a V6 Audi TT - worked well)

Like this sorta thing
Drilled+Airbox+lo+res1087949641.jpg

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
No, I verified it with a wideband O2 sensor and datalogging software for a few hundred miles.

Did you block off the AIS system? As the system introduces air into the exhaust tract a false air fuel ratio reading would be obtained if the system wasn't blocked off.

Yamahaboyz

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Did you block off the AIS system? As the system introduces air into the exhaust tract a false air fuel ratio reading would be obtained if the system wasn't blocked off.

Yamahaboyz

Are you sure this could happen. I'm pretty sure the AIS only allows air into the exhaust at warm up and off throttle.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you sure this could happen. I'm pretty sure the AIS only allows air into the exhaust at warm up and off throttle.

When you install the Autotune, Dynojet recommends bypassing or removing the AIS as it will give false A/F readings.

Whether or not it affects it at all RPM ranges is something I don't know for certain.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
I desided to not modify the box any further. The shop that installed my pc 5 did not recommend it. He Told me the engine likes some pressure in the box to function well. And gains will be minimal and you can have a loss.

I currently have 91 hp but I'm using a bigger front sprocket (I thought it was a 16t) so you would expect some lower values.