Did this, put in one of these, changed that, increased those...

barijack

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I did a little modding, well a lot by some people's standards.

I did this to picture 1
Many, like myself, have done the typical airbox mod by simply cutting out the 'snorkle' and making the whole a little bigger. Well it made my bike whistle and i didn't like it. So I went a step further and cut the whole front half off right up to the edge of the filter support channel. Still has 4 screws to hold it down nice and tight and made a noticable difference in the sound of the bike. Sounds a little more throaty through the two brothers exhaust

Put in one of those from picture 2
At the same day of the extreme airbox mod I installed a new K&N air filter.

Changed that in picture 3
I also took off the mid exhaust pipe holding the cat. converter and replaced it with a locally made straight pipe that matches the orignal pipe. This also made a decent difference in the sound. Hard to explain but imagine someone breathing through their nose with it stopped up, then clearing the blockage and breathing through a clear nose...thats similar to the sound difference I think.

And increased those in picture 4
And after all of this i added the jumper wire under the gas tank as per instructions from some threads on here that allows American bikes to change their CO numbers. I dont have a dyno so i can't tell ya much here. I just took after what a few dyno ran threads suggested and set each, C1 and C2, at 24.

Then I saw them in picture 5
And then the first night (almost midnight) after getting to ride it after the rain, I decided to test it out a couple blocks from the house after leaving a stop sign. I leaned forward, twisted it, held on, and about shattered the neighbors windows when i broke the silence. I got about a block up the street and all a sudden there are 2 cop cars with lights AND sirens behind me. So I pulled onto my street, put it in nuetral, tuened it off, got out my wallet and license, took my helmet off, answered his questions, flipped off my accent lights, and then got off the hook with only a verbal warning saying "...you are in town, this is no place for that kind of driving...", "...this is a nice bike and we would hate to have to seize it for wreckless driving...", and "...slow down and be careful...". Then they let me go. Didn't even ask for my insurance card.

All in all I think it was a nice setup. The bike seems to run better, has a little more power, and responds a lot faster. Will just have to wait and ride for a little while and keep an eye on the filter area to make sure nothing is gettin up in there. I figure it should be ok sinces its hid away up under the tank.

Last edited:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that is an "extreme" air box mod.
One word of caution, what works for one bike on a dyno, will not necessarily for for another. Get that puppy tuned, or get a Juicebox/PC asap. You don't want to run lean and blow that beauty of an engine.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also took off the mid exhaust pipe holding the cat. converter and replaced it with a locally made straight pipe that matches the orignal pipe. This also made a decent difference in the sound. Hard to explain but imagine someone breathing through their nose with it stopped up, then clearing the blockage and breathing through a clear nose...thats similar to the sound difference I think.

Keep in mind you still have two more CATs on the bike, where the pipes collect under the bike, 4 to 2 to 1. Where 4 makes 2, there are two smaller CATs there. :D

I'm unsure about that airbox mod... seems a bit extreme. Good luck!

barijack

Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind you still have two more CATs on the bike, where the pipes collect under the bike, 4 to 2 to 1. Where 4 makes 2, there are two smaller CATs there. :D

I have actually wondered if there was much of anything in there because those two areas just seem fat compared to what a normal 'collector' say on a car looks like. oh well, i might check it out when i have the header removed to powder coat at the end of the month.

Sorry bout the run on sentence there.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
np! You should be able to just drill those out if you separate the header at the collector then have someone weld it back together. After they patch it all up, apply the powder and cook! :D