Difference in model years?

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy y'all,

Can anybody tell me what changes were made in the different model years here in the U.S.?
I'm think'in 'bout get'in me an FZ6, but not sure which year? I think I recall Yamaha "fixed" the on/off throttle response in '07? Were there any other changes made that model year?
any info would be much appreciated. :thumbup:

Thanks,

BB

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only fizzer I have only ridden is mine - 08 FZ6 N - I absolutely love it. Can't compare to a faired version but mine is very reliable. If you lube the chain on a regular basis, change the oil (5000kms for me) and ensure it's a good oil (motul 5100 semi-synth my oil of choice) - it'll cause you no problems.

The 05 model (I think.... - correct me if I'm wrong) had the problem with the TPS. Ensure this has been fixed if you buy this model.

I might not ride every week, but when I do, she starts straight up. I've done a fair few mods (see my signature) and every one of them has been great, especially the PCIII, Scorpion pipes and the 15T sprocket.

All in all, it's a good all round bike. Great for commuting, great for the track and great for long "spirited" rides.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok i got the 2005, now i am worried about TPS, anyone break that down into dumb people terms for me? just so i am sure

Other than the above i have had no problems at all, i am on my second 05 FZ6. i prefer the clocks for some reason, and yes the FI is a bit "ON/OFF" compared to the S2 but after riding the S2 the S1 seemed to have plenty more power? Maybe just me going mad?

Sure i read that someone stated the S1 was a bit harder to tame and the S2 they improved that (making it slower to me) lol

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
the tps (throttle position sensor - the bike runs rough and various other symptoms- there' s a list somewhere on the forum with the symptoms of tps going bad)should have been done free of charge by yamaha since they recalled the bikes. check with your yamaha dealer he would know even if you didn t buy it from him. also check the front sprocket nut that has the washer folded over it as there were cases where the nut worked itself loose.

found it:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...idle-mileage-stalls.html?highlight=tps+sensor

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers :thumbup:

had a read through, mine is not suffering any of those things thank god. will get it checked out next time bike is in the garage though just to be sure.

Will keep my eye on the front sprocket to. Dont fancy that working to loose on a good ride :eek:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Banjoyboy...I recognize you from BARF. You currently have an FJR or ST, right?

I prefer the newer ones but if you saw a smokin deal on a pre 2007 or a pre 2007 with all the right mods then you can't go wrong there either.

Let me know if you want to meet up to give my 2004 a try.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Banjoyboy...I recognize you from BARF. You currently have an FJR or ST, right?

I prefer the newer ones but if you saw a smokin deal on a pre 2007 or a pre 2007 with all the right mods then you can't go wrong there either.

Let me know if you want to meet up to give my 2004 a try.
Yep, I'm the charming bastid wit da FJR, on teh BARF, spread'in da luv. :rof:
Do you have the same "handle" over there? I don't recognize it.

Hell yeh, I'd luv ta meet up, and check out yer bike. I dun had me a sweet '01 FZ1, (I rolled up 50K trouble free miles on :cheer: ) but have never ridden a 6. (Had a chance in Coarsegold a few years back, but it wuz like 105 degrees out, so I didn't want to "gear up" I wuz die'in just sit'in there!)
Considered another FZ1, but I want sumpting mo different than the FJR. (This'll be a 2nd bike)
I do a lot of dirt roads, and adventure ride'in on the FJR, but would like a lighter bike for the dirt. :D
Herez my big phat beeoootch some wherez on FH7 between Covelo, and Winters. :rockon:

IMG_0407___2.jpg

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Kazza,
Cuz of yer link, I dun bought me a 2007. :D
Slabbed it 200 mi. home yesterday, (In freezing NORCAL winter) and rode another 150 (s)miles of dirt & goat trails today, and I must say, that I'm very impressed with the motor! :cheer:
I've heard sum complaint that it's too buzzy or "peaky" but mine's neither of them. :rockon:

IMG_0992___2.jpg

IMG_0999___2.jpg

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! I just saw your reply now....yes, same handle on teh BARF.

I actually decided to sell my FZ6 yesterday as I just brought home a 950 Super Enduro R.

PS - remove those ungly swing arm stickers. :)

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I commute 10 ks each way to work, I use waxlube about every 2-3 weeks, gets a wash about the same intervals
been spraying the whole motor w WD-40 after its dry and the cleaning is Soooo much easier, gets a lot of comment for looking clean, working on it is better too

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Every 500 - 1000 miles, depending on factors like how often it's ridden, stored indoors our out, covered if out, riding in the rain, riding in dirty conditions (dirty for the chain I mean) etc.

How often u lube the chain?

Banjo, nice purchase! I like the blue and nearly got the 07 in blue, but I'm glad I got the RED one instead!

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use trip meter 2 for lubing my chain - between 500 - 800kms, I usually give 'er a clean and respray.

With regards to the TPS issues, the issue was contained to the 2004 model and only PART of 2005.

Mine had the new TPS, from the factory.

From the service bulletin:

Affected range:
FZ6
2004 - FZS600S/SC - All
2005 - FZS600T - RJ08E-0002249-0004781
2005 - FZS600TC - RJ08Y-0000303-0000770

There were obviously other bikes affected (YZF-R1, Road Star Warrior, FJR1300/A), but they are for the FZ6.

Cheers,
Rick

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good idea Rick, I use trip1for fuel but never 2, why didnt I think of that
Sent from the phone: sorry 'bout my spileng, fat fingers...you know!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
banjo - nice way to break her in on those gravel roads! :thumbup: Having owned other Yam'rs you'll be happier off the road on the 6 than than the FJR so Enjoy. . .

As for the chain life: many products recommend 500miles max for clean an lube. Personally I have my doubts about the paraffin products and 5 to 6 is my limit using the 2nd trip meter to count that.