Differences between fz6 fz6s and fz6s2??

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
ok i've come across different bikes online claiming to be an fz6s or an s2 but can't find a darn thing as to what the difference is... was hoping you helpful folks could clear that up for me. Is it just different names for the same bike bike produced elsewhere (euro Vs. North America)? or do they actually have substantial differences in model? Thanks ahead of time! :thumbup:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Let's see if I can shed some light on this...it can get pretty confusing...lol.

The '04-'06 US models are the FZ6S or FZ6.
The '07-'09 US models are the FZ6S2 (denoting the minor cosmetic and other minor mechanical changes to the bike starting with model year '07. The 2nd generation model, if you will).

Overseas, they sold both a naked version (FZ6N) and faired version, so they used the "S" in FZ6S to denote between the two.

On my title for the bike, it says "FZ6SV". I can remember a conversation thread YEARS ago talking about that connotation, but I can't for the life of me remember exactly what the "V" was supposed to mean.

But, there ya go. The simple explanation...lol...hopefully! :thumbup:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site

The '07-'09 US models are the FZ6S2 (denoting the minor cosmetic and other minor mechanical changes to the bike starting with model year '07. The 2nd generation model, if you will).

Overseas, they sold both a naked version (FZ6N) and faired version, so they used the "S" in FZ6S to denote between the two.

On my title for the bike, it says "FZ6SV". I can remember a conversation thread YEARS ago talking about that connotation, but I can't for the life of me remember exactly what the "V" was supposed to mean.

But, there ya go. The simple explanation...lol...hopefully! :thumbup:

Thanks a ton! these bike models to get pretty confusing, seems like manufacturers give a bike a new model name if they change a screw ;) thanks for clearing it up though, much appreciated

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a ton! these bike models to get pretty confusing, seems like manufacturers give a bike a new model name if they change a screw ;) thanks for clearing it up though, much appreciated

Ha, ha...that's so true! And then you throw in the previous Yamaha bikes like the FZ600 and it really gets confusing.

Glad I could help, though! :thumbup:

hise0001

Reaction score
Visit site

I thought it was that there was a single FZ6 in '04 - '06 and '07 introduced the FZ6S (ie the same horsepower and specs as the '04-'06 models) and the FZ6S2 was less horsepower and a few other small technical changes.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Good point, Pimpson! :thumbup:

And I was mistaken on what my title says...it's actually says "FZS6V". Weird.

hise, the "S2" denotes the 2nd generation FZ6, or '07-'09 model years. I'm not certain how Yamaha tags the 78bhp version that's offered overseas (or if they even differentiate between them at all).

davtex

Reaction score
Visit site
Isn't s2 20bhp more powerful than s? Or that's the case only in eu?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my bike new in TN. My owner's manual says it's a FZS6Y(C), but the title says it's an "FHG model, body type RC", while the frame has a sticker that says something like
FZ6S(N). (This doesn't compare to the number of times that Kaw has reclassified their little Ninja 250 R though!)

njc89

Reaction score
Visit site
is it safe to assume that a 2008 US-purchased FZ6 is the 97 HP model, and not the 78 HP model? I guess I don't care what they call it as long as it has the power I thought I was getting...

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
This is an interesting conversation because I want to buy a radiator cover from Germany, and they are telling me it is only for the 07 FZ6. I'm saying to them that doesn't make sense because both the 07 & 08 have the same part number for the radiator, so why would it not fit on my 2008. They said the 07 is smaller than the 08, which still doesn't make sense. I sent them the measurements, but they haven't answered me yet, which is disappointing. Does anyone know if there is a substantial difference between the 07 European model and the 2008 North America model? Thanks in advance

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/310351437319?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Rommel043

Reaction score
Visit site
I found a great way to tell the differences between all the bikes.

Use this for reference.
<http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/designcafe/en/about-bikes/sport-touring/index.aspx?view=article&id=442642&segment=Sport%20Touring&archive=false&page=4>

This link has the whole history of the fazers.

Just to break it down here,

If you have a 2004-2006 US verison, there is a good chance you have the 98hp version if the Chassis is black. There are very few cosmetics to tell. So an 04-up are hard to tell the differences

So now for the 07-and up

If you want to know if you have a 98hp model, here is what to look for.

-07-up non s2(78hp) have the 06 style fairing where the turn signals are located on the headlight fairing. The s2(98hp) has the turn signals right below the fairing which looks like they are on the forks.

A 07-up non s2(78hp) has a square swingarm, silver engine and chassis, no center stand, and 04-06 style front fairing.

A 07-up S2(98hp) has a diamond style swingarm, front turnsignals located on the forks, slightly different styled headlight fairing that is barely noticeable to the 06 style, two front silver brake caliper piston covers, and comes with kickstand and center stand

All S2's have a black chassis for 07-up
All non S2's have a silver chassis for 07-up

keep in mind that the standard 07-up FZ6 is just called FZ6 fazer

Hopefully all this helps. I have been wondering quite myself:welcome:

Last edited: