Difficulty Upshifting to Sixth

outkast

Reaction score
Visit site
Or you can use 6th as a cruising gear to save on gas. You don't have to ride it like a raped ape all the time.

I think you will find that the best way to save fuel is to run the engine just under the powerband,this gives instant response to throttle openings/closings, and gets max mileage from your tank. The engine is running at its most economical.
See Bike Magazine for last month.
Also the FZ6 is geared for revs, it is after all an R6 engine and consequently you need to rev it or your dancing on the gear lever all day.
Some of the twisty roads round here you can be in 3-4th gear all day, any hire and you've lost all response.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you will find that the best way to save fuel is to run the engine just under the powerband,this gives instant response to throttle openings/closings, and gets max mileage from your tank. The engine is running at its most economical.
See Bike Magazine for last month.
Also the FZ6 is geared for revs, it is after all an R6 engine and consequently you need to rev it or your dancing on the gear lever all day.
Some of the twisty roads round here you can be in 3-4th gear all day, any hire and you've lost all response.

Riding in that manner, what is your average mileage?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I never use 6th gear until i am over 8000rpm, or i am trying to keep my pipes quiet around 60km/h, in the presense of Mr Plod!

:thumbup:

outkast

Reaction score
Visit site
I never use 6th gear until i am over 8000rpm, or i am trying to keep my pipes quiet around 60km/h, in the presense of Mr Plod!

:thumbup:

I only use it on mototrways etc. And then in combination with 5th.

As a side issue, do none of you use the full rev range?
I mean screaming through the gears upto say 12k/13k

B

bluenova

I only use it on mototrways etc. And then in combination with 5th.

As a side issue, do none of you use the full rev range?
I mean screaming through the gears upto say 12k/13k

Yes to accelerate fast, but once at a constant speed I will match gears to revs at around 5000 which is the most economical place to be.

yamaprotech

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought a used 2005 fz6 about a month ago. I have experienced the same
5th to 6th shifting problem exactly as you described it. I work in a yamaha shop as a tech, and I have access to the factory manual. When I bought it, I brought it into the shop and put it on a lift. I adjusted EVERYTHING as per the specs in the manual, so I know my problem is not adjustment. My thoughts on this is there is a problem with rounded dogs on the 3rd pinion gear,a bent 6th gear shift fork, or improper torque on the 3 bolts of the output shaft bearing housing. since your bike is new, I would assume the latter. but if you ride the thing hard (and you are a new rider) and have a tendency to shift hard, I would say one or both of the first 2.

OZ

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
yamaprotech, how often do you experience this and at what RPM? In my case for example it occurs very rarely and at ~12K RPM.