Do I pay for an inspection after (minor?) accident?

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, I got into a fender bender (I hit him from the back). I'm fine, they're fine, and I'm pretty sure my bike is fine. After insurance and all that, I'm thinking of bringing in my bike for an inspection to make sure everything is ok. The back tire slid out and hit they're fender so the only damage it to the rear right side. My passenger foot peg was broken and my rear brake was leaking brake fluid. The swig arm was also hit, im not sure how hard though. I fixed the leak by retightening the screw but I'm not sure if there is anything wrong with the break caliper or if the swingarm is bent. Do I take it in and spend money or try to diagnose it myself? Asking for advice, thanks!
ef4a8fb782a6b9814c09b1679e9831bd.jpg
375cd0e4e51ee58b1519436060b269c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The swing arm looks like it's got a nice dent. How does it track when you ride it? I would check the swing arm bearings for possible damage. Also the sub frame may have been tweaked...

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
The swing arm looks like it's got a nice dent. How does it track when you ride it? I would check the swing arm bearings for possible damage. Also the sub frame may have been tweaked...

I decided to take it to the shop tomorrow. Better to be safe than sorry, especially on two wheels. Will let you know, thanks!!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
#1 Glad you're ok!

A professional safety inspection of the bike would be good to make sure you stay that way and an independent assessment of damages would be helpful to support any insurance claim.

The subframe looks damaged from the pic- at least the welded tab mount for the passenger footpegs.

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
#1 Glad you're ok!

A professional safety inspection of the bike would be good to make sure you stay that way and an independent assessment of damages would be helpful to support any insurance claim.

The subframe looks damaged from the pic- at least the welded tab mount for the passenger footpegs.

Those were most definitely damages, the rear peg bracket actually cracked in half and bent inward toward my tire. I'm pretty impressed as it stopped right at the rear tire hugger and didn't damage my tire! (At least that's what I think)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus 1 on ALL the above. Good choice on bringing it to the shop...

If your NOT at fault, their insurance company SHOULD be paying for the inspection and repairs (or NEW bike). Sounds like you might be at fault re-reading post #1.

It took a decent hit especially to bend the swing arm (and that swing arm does need replacement) and bust the cast pillion
peg mount. .

As noted, the steel sub frame mount is likely bent. IE, a new sub-frame. I would NOT let them hammer it back should it be bent.

Put the bike on the CC and look from the rear to see if you CAN see the rear jacked up/sideways.

The MAIN frame itself is probably ok.

**Make sure the shop is aware of the area/MAIN FRAME (probably ok anyway) just to the rear of the swing-arm bolt that IS prone to hair line cracks as well as the
"arm" motor mounts.

Removing one bolt at a time to see if the main frame stays put (with the engine) would help verify the main frame isn't torqued. * If one of those arms pops away from the engine (with no bolt), that MAIN frame is toast..

As a side note, should you do the repairs, all those parts, used, are F/S and easily found.

I see my helmet lock bracket kit and your lock made it unscathed!

Last edited:

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Plus 1 on ALL the above. Good choice on bringing it to the shop...

It took a decent hit especially to bend the swing arm (and that swing arm does need replacement) and bust the cast pillion
peg mount. .

As noted, the steel sub frame mount is likely bent. IE, a new sub-frame. I would NOT let them hammer it back should it be bent.

Put the bike on the CC and look from the rear to see if you CAN see the rear jacked up/sideways.

The MAIN frame itself is probably ok.

**Make sure the shop is aware of the area/MAIN FRAME (probably ok anyway) just to the rear of the swing-arm bolt that IS prone to hair line cracks as well as the
"arm" motor mounts.

Removing one bolt at a time to see if the main frame stays put (with the engine) would help verify the main frame isn't torqued. * If one
of those arms pops away from the engine (with no bolt), that MAIN frame is toast..

I see my helmet lock bracket kit and your lock made it unscathed!

I'm taking it in later today and will keep you advice in mind, thanks! The helmet lock has come in handy many times!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That second pic of the swing arm shows a small, but should be replaced dent in it.

Obviously, the cast aluminum pillion bracket got the worst of it.

How does the steel mounting bracket (for the rear peg) look, BENT AT ALL? (I'd think not as the aluminum got hammered the worst as well as the swing arm.

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
That second pic of the swing arm shows a small, but should be replaced dent in it.

Obviously, the cast aluminum pillion bracket got the worst of it.

How does the steel mounting bracket (for the rear peg) look, BENT AT ALL? (I'd think not as the aluminum got hammered the worst as well as the swing arm.

To be honest, I'm not too familiar with the lingo. The rear bracket didn't look bent but I didn't really look at it. I will give the report from the auto shop but, I'm not too trusting. I'm in Atlanta, GA and not in my home state, South Florida, where I have a mechanic I trust.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The steel mount I referred to was simply what the broke aluminum part bolts to (with the 2 bolts).

The swing-arm, (that the rear wheel attaches to), right side, has an obvious kink on at least the top edge.

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
The steel mount I referred to was simply what the broke aluminum part bolts to (with the 2 bolts).

The swing-arm, (that the rear wheel attaches to), right side, has an obvious kink on at least the top edge.

Ahh, thank you. I'm hoping the swing arm dent just looks that way because of my crappy picture taking but it probably is dented. How bad would it be if I didn't fix it? Also, I'll check out that bracket during lunch, around noon.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Question, were the bolts for the passenger rear sets bent? The angle of the bracket to the sub frame is way off. So hopefully the rear bolt is bent. Otherwise, I'd opt for replacment sub frame.

Before too much riding occurs loosen the four bolts and let it find it's new home. It will unload the stress induced on the cast frame. Cast material does not like a static load as it can induce stress cracks.

This is an old picture but notice how the mount is parallel to the sub frame... lower mounting bolt is visible...

attachment.php

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Question, were the bolts for the passenger rear sets bent? The angle of the bracket to the sub frame is way off. So hopefully the rear bolt is bent. Otherwise, I'd opt for replacment sub frame.

Before too much riding occurs loosen the four bolts and let it find it's new home. It will unload the stress induced on the cast frame. Cast material does not like a static load as it can induce stress cracks.

This is an old picture but notice how the mount is parallel to the sub frame... lower mounting bolt is visible...

attachment.php

I don't think they were bent, I looked at the bracket and I think it does look slightly bent but i might just be seeing it because I'm looking for it.

I dropped it off at a shop and they said it would be a couple days til they can get to look at it

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
So here's the bill they hit me (will be going through insurance if this is the case) with. That doesn't include the rear footrest, when I called he said he forgot about because I had taken off the bike before hand which is understandable. I feel as though they missed things but I may be paranoid. I'm looking for some reassurance if anyone's got some.
affa0af441ec391c382af43515654209.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the first is the fairing next to the seat (RIGHT POD) and the second I have no clue. Here is the updated bill. (I think the second are the grab rails 5VX-24773-00-P8 HANDLE, SEAT $218.81) HE'S GOT THAT MARKED UP A BIT FROM 218.81 TO $358.24
37400a02a70a27bf95859fbc773a83fd.jpg

If the bike rides straight, I don't see why you can't ride it home as there was no mention of frame damage. That is, if it rides straight.

IE, you can have your bike repaired by your regular, trusted mechanic.

Also, ordering thru Partzilla is WAY CHEAPER:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W REAR ARM Diagram

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
My mechanic is in south Florida and I don't want to wait until early August to get it fixed. Also, it's going through insurance so I think they're finding oem parts to cover themselves liability wise. It looks like I'm gonna go forward with the repairs. I'm also doing the r6 fork mod so I'm excited to have the bike back and in good condition