Do NOT leave the bugs on!

Donnie869

Bass/BikeMaster
Reaction score
www.palmbaybassmasters.com
Last weekend I went on a three hour tour down to South Florida and hung out with some friends, drank some brews and stayed longer than I had planned so I wouldn't be drinking and riding.:D Rode home in the dark and the bugs were so thick it sounded like hail was blasting my faceshield. Lazy me left all the bug splats on the bike for a week before washing the splatted critters off. While I was hosing off I blasted about a four inch chip of paint off the right side mirror stem. So now I must break out the sandpaper and paint. I must blame it on me leaving the bug splats on for too long and the acid from the bug guts ate at the paint. I have washed my bike the same way since day one. DANG IT ! Don't be like me and get those critters washed off ASAP !:spank:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
best watch those! I heard a story once about a group of ppl that went on one and it turned out to be much longer. I think they even made a tv series out of it...

-bryan

:rockon: :thumbup: LOL! LOL!!

DaveMc

Reaction score
Visit site
Down in southeast texas every fall we get millions of these black bugs that swarm highways. I mean thick as clouds. Here's what takes them off (of cars, anyway)

A dryer sheet (Bounce, etc)

Wet it, and wet the front of the car and rub very lightly.

Takes off ALL bug residue without leaving anything behind.

DISCLOSURE: Never tried it on something like a windscreen or faceshield, etc.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I use this stuff. It helps add a little protection from the little phobias.

150469_300.jpg

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having my doubts that bug guts ate at the paint that much; sounds more like a defect in the paint job.
I'm pretty sure my '07 mirror stalks are just black plastic; what year is your bike?

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having my doubts that bug guts ate at the paint that much; sounds more like a defect in the paint job.
I'm pretty sure my '07 mirror stalks are just black plastic; what year is your bike?

If it's an '07 or newer, they're aluminum for sure. Also, there is a thread around here somewhere about someone's pain coming off their mirror stalks as well.

S

sm00thpapa

Thanks for the heads up. My bike is MINT with no bugs and only has 32 miles on it.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Bug guts can do it. Ill take a picture of the front end of the Camaro sitting at home. Dad took it to flordia for a trip and I didnt wash it for a while till he got home. It ate the clear off in the pattern that their insides left. This was also due to a bad couple of years in GM's clear coat and primmer... but still it can be done.

-bryan

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bug guts can do it. Ill take a picture of the front end of the Camaro sitting at home. Dad took it to flordia for a trip and I didnt wash it for a while till he got home. It ate the clear off in the pattern that their insides left. This was also due to a bad couple of years in GM's clear coat and primmer... but still it can be done.

-bryan

Bryan it's probably a combination of bug guts combined with a bad coating.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
This time of the year, in Florida, the love bugs will flat out destroy your paint. Those of you that have never seen it may find it difficult to believe but it's the truth. Their guts are extremely corrosive. The quality of the coating has nothing to do with it. You have to wash them off almost immediately to keep from damaging your paint.