Do not test ride the FZ-09

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
...cause you'll buy it or will dream of buying it!
I test-drove to fz09 and I fell in love with it. It is so nimble, light and full of life.
Pure joy. Narrow tank makes it very flickable, and it moves well at any gear.
I Came from FZ6R to FZ6 and this is nearly how I felt in comparison to 6r and more.
I'm very happy with my FZ6. It is do it all bike and fun to ride, but the 09 is just WOW.
The throttle is a not as snappy as they portray it, and is controllable, and the suspensions felt just right (but I'm below 150 lbs).
My only concern is that I'm not sure if it can be a long distance tourer with a passenger like the FZ6 is... but sure something to look forward to.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's definitely a very fun bike. I know I'd need to mod it just a bit to really love it, but the platform is excellent.

Definitely would not want it for anything, but having fun though. A tourer it is not. It can be done, sure.. but it's far from ideal for this.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...cause you'll buy it or will dream of buying it!
I test-drove to fz09 and I fell in love with it. It is so nimble, light and full of life.
...........My only concern is that I'm not sure if it can be a long distance tourer with a passenger like the FZ6 is... but sure something to look forward to.

I like the fairing on the FZ6 and that it is more aimed toward the touring segment.
Luckily It sounds like Yamaha will be using the same engine for the FJ-09, here's the article. I'm hoping this will fit the bill :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea if they go through with that FJ-09 I will start saving up now and sell my beloved FZ6 in a heartbeat toward the FJ!

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
The throttle is a not as snappy as they portray it

You didn't have it in A mode then. Easily roll of at a stop light in 3rd and the front wheel may touch ground at 110.. :)

It's a hooligan bike. I got tired of sitting on traffic and the bank drive way was 20-30 feet ahead. I went up on the sidewalk to reach my destination. Granted not a soul was on the sidewalk :)

Last edited:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My long time friend and sales manager at Beaverton Honda Yamaha Kawasaki said last week he wished they were able to get more of the FZ 09's. He is totally out and it's only April. One of the salesmen at my work bought one and absolutely loves it. He had Two brothers Exhaust put on it prior to purchasing it and says it sounds awesome. He is very rich and gets a new motorcycle almost every year so I told him to take care of my new motorcycle for next year when he gets something else. LOL :spank: That would be cool or what. :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My long time friend and sales manager at Beaverton Honda Yamaha Kawasaki said last week he wished they were able to get more of the FZ 09's. He is totally out and it's only April. One of the salesmen at my work bought one and absolutely loves it. He had Two brothers Exhaust put on it prior to purchasing it and says it sounds awesome. He is very rich and gets a new motorcycle almost every year so I told him to take care of my new motorcycle for next year when he gets something else. LOL :spank: That would be cool or what. :D

Marthy put a cheap exhaust on his and the bike sounds fantastic. Triple > I4, when it comes to noise.

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
I only got to sit on one at this year's bike show. Being used to my FJR, the first thought the FZ-09 brought to mind was "I would get in so much trouble on this thing." :rockon:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
The blue wheels and digital tach do a great job of keeping me from looking beyond my FZ6. Can't understand why so many manufacturers are using them. The Honda CB650F has fallen prey to a digital tach as well. Now that's a sweet looking bike otherwise. At least Kawasaki has moved on to analog starting with the 2012 Ninja.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The blue wheels and digital tach do a great job of keeping me from looking beyond my FZ6. Can't understand why so many manufacturers are using them. The Honda CB650F has fallen prey to a digital tach as well. Now that's a sweet looking bike otherwise. At least Kawasaki has moved on to analog starting with the 2012 Ninja.

I love how with everything else, digital is better...except for Tachometers! haha. :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Big +1! Tech is absolutely useless on that bike, but to be honest, it wouldn't stop me from buying one. It makes great noise and it's easy to feel / hear when you need to up/down shift.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't see that the blue wheels must be an option. Nice that they offer regular black.

Still, I think I'd just go for a street triple if I were buying a naked bike, and I'd go for the older, more classic double round headlights. I've never warmed up to modern single headlights.

I'm sure the FZ-09 is a great machine that rides great, but I'm just too vain to give it a second look.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't see that the blue wheels must be an option. Nice that they offer regular black.

Still, I think I'd just go for a street triple if I were buying a naked bike, and I'd go for the older, more classic double round headlights. I've never warmed up to modern single headlights.

I'm sure the FZ-09 is a great machine that rides great, but I'm just too vain to give it a second look.

Am I miss-remembering every bike from the early 90's backwards or am I getting old. It's all the new bikes with the dual headlights nowadays... what happened to the single round headlights on ALL the bikes? :rolleyes:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Am I miss-remembering every bike from the early 90's backwards or am I getting old. It's all the new bikes with the dual headlights nowadays... what happened to the single round headlights on ALL the bikes? :rolleyes:

They're still out there! They're called "retro" now :rof:

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Big +1! Tech is absolutely useless on that bike, but to be honest, it wouldn't stop me from buying one. It makes great noise and it's easy to feel / hear when you need to up/down shift.
The tech doesn't bother me much. I already got used to the digital one on 06 fz6.
And the fun factor overrides every other little thing on 09.
As for s3pl, in my view Yamaha is livelier and more reliable too.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah Ah! The 09 will get the hooligan out of you for sure. That engine is mind blowing. Not in a way of a SS bike with 150 peak HP. But whenever you roll on the throttle... it goes! Plain and simple.

As far as touring capability or two up riding... fk no! Anything more than 1/2hr ride is a PITA! The passenger seat have about 1/4" of padding and the pegs are like R6 sitting position. On your own its manageable with a little fly screen to release some pressure off your chest.

Love my ride and glad I got one. That's exactly the bike I was looking for.