Do you miss this on your bike and have you ever had one...

Kick start bike

• Total voters
The old 6 volt BMW R50/2 I learned on 15 years ago was kickstart only: surprisingly easy to fire up, though sometimes I just push-started it (often more successful in cold, wet weather, though much less dignified). My R60/5 was electric and kick, and I much preferred the button, though the kick/roll method was nice and got me moving when I had let the batteries get long in the tooth. Once I threw a bigger engine (900cc) in there, kicking became unrealistic.

We since had a Honda CB500T that had both options, but it much preferred kickstarts (wimpy battery), and my wife's Yamaha Vino 125 will kick right into life too (rarely more than 3 kicks to fire it up), thougn of course it's easier just to use the thumb.

Honestly, It would be nice if modern bikes (especially those made for touring or adventure touring, which is my FZ6's main purpose) had a good "limp home" mode that bypassed the electrics including a optional (and even stowable) kick or pull-start in case the electrics went south. But that's probably not realistic, or demanded by most FZ riders. I hope it continues to prove so reliable as to make dreams of kickstarting unnecessary, cool and elemental as it is (and knowing how to do it does foster pride) on old bikes.

I about broke my foot a couple times trying to start my old POS XR200. That thing kicked back like a dang mule. No more kickstarts for me, thank you.

wow, kickstart huh.....dont miss it.....

the kickstart lever is like a dog that bites u back of you do not kickstart it properly

Back