I have done two mods, with one being easy but turned into a huge headache

gonnacrash

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay why do I do everything the hard way.

First dual headlight mod, made the wire, plugged it into the headlight. Ran it back to under the tank. Said to my self, hey I can see the plug, no need to pull the battery box. Well a little pulling, tugging, twisting the plug is almost .... damn it, it came unplugged. 30 mins later it's plugged back in. Finished the mod, love it.

Well that was the easy hard way, next..... fast forward two weeks

Bought an fz1 bar. Pulled the old bar, got the brake, clutch throttle etc off. Then on to the new bar. Started putting the screws to hold the bar on, Opps dropped a screw under the tank. No big deal can see it from behind the tank on the frame, I got a magnet. Started to retrieve it, klink, it's gone. Well I told myself I should have pulled the tank to get it, nope hard way number two under way. So now I lift the tank, cant see the bolt anywhere. It's dark out now using a flashlight to see, can't see the bolt, start to wiggle things trying to find it. Nope its gone. So now I grab a dead blow hammer, hit the frame, sometimes I can hear it rattle. So I back the bike out over the lawn, in the dark, and gently lay it on the right side. Shake bounce the bike, nothing. Stand the bike back up, nothing. Then laid it down again, and tap the frame with the dead blow hammer, hear a clink and the bolt fell out in the lawn, under the bike in the dark. Did mention in the dark over my lawn that had not been mowed in 2 weeks. It turns out the frame has some great spots next to the airbox, you cant feel or see into that will hold a screw very well. How well, over an hour of messing it well. Put bolt back in, adjust bar, brake and clutch angles, turn brake line to clear. Mod two done, about 90 mins gone to save 5 mins to lift the tank, which I had to do anyway to recover a damn screw. Fz1 Bar is much better.

Next I figure I might as well do an r6 fork swap, at the rate I am going I will be done by the time it warms back up in the spring of 2017. Just kidding not doing the fork swap.

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to dislike this post because of your misfortune in doing your mods but then I figured you'd come out with an extra bit of knowledge.
the story made me think how I sometimes do the same kinda thing, not just on the bike tho'

thanks for sharing and good luck with the next mod

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Been there. Was replacing the rear shocks on a Versa and was making awesome time. Could have finished both sides in half an hour had I not lost the top nut between the interior panels and the metal body. Searched forever before running to Home Depot. Then found out that the nut was different from the one I bought. Finally found the nut. Finished up after 3 hours instead of 30 minutes!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Too funny! I have a full-size van and have had the same (where did nut/bolt fall?) problem. Arrgh.....Turns something that s/b a 5 min job into a full-blown search 'n rescue operation just to find missing bolt/nut.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Things happen and you find a solution! Its part of working on stuff!

Go forth with the Forks! Its easy stuff with nothing hidden! 2015 is possible!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha, I dropped a fuse in front of the battery and found it 4 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk