Do You Own the Right Motorcycle?

See post below. Then answer. Question is in red halfway down the post.

• Total voters

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
but i must say, for those people suggesting the F800GS over the 990 adventure you will need to take into account the trips you will be taking with it. If you will ever be getting into REALLY rough stuff or even on the mildly rough stuff, the KTM will vastly outperform the bmw. It is just a million times better off road than the bmw.

For on the road comforts and handling though the BMW fares better.
And I certainly am taking into account how I'd use it! I'm a few months away from the dreaded 1/2-century mark, and feel I'm a little too old to be learning how to ride over fallen trees, etc. Fireroads will be MORE than enough challenge for me! ;) :D

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
For right now I'm fairly content with the stable. In the next year or so I'll probably be getting rid of the VStrom and replacing it with a cruiser, most likely in the 1300-1900 cc range. The FZ isn't going anywhere as I love it as my daily driver and my son uses it when we do long distance touring. I've still got my '99 Venture and don't see me parting with it any time soon. It's just too doggone comfortable for the long haul.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
awesome!!

but i must say, for those people suggesting the F800GS over the 990 adventure you will need to take into account the trips you will be taking with it. If you will ever be getting into REALLY rough stuff or even on the mildly rough stuff, the KTM will vastly outperform the bmw. It is just a million times better off road than the bmw.

For on the road comforts and handling though the BMW fares better. I want to not be limited ever. I want to have the comfort of knowing no matter where I go my bike will handle it with ease....river crossings, fields ravaged by land-mines and rain, and whatever else. The KTM i feel is the one to fill that role.

Not sure I buy into one being worlds better than the other. KTM has great off-road rep and know how but in the really rough stuff weight/size counts for a lot and the 800GS is remarkably light and nimble for what it is (and ~50 lbs lighter than a 990). I think either would do fine within the noise of rider capability.

I don't need another bike than the FZ but I bought a old XT350 dual-sport b/c it will be fun when it's running again. I've been lusting after more adventure-type bikes for a while also. At the end of the day, I figure 5 bikes would be about right - a naked commuter, a dual-sport/motard, a sport-tourer, an adventure bike and a super-sport.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure I buy into one being worlds better than the other. KTM has great off-road rep and know how but in the really rough stuff weight/size counts for a lot and the 800GS is remarkably light and nimble for what it is (and ~50 lbs lighter than a 990). I think either would do fine within the noise of rider capability.

I don't need another bike than the FZ but I bought a old XT350 dual-sport b/c it will be fun when it's running again. I've been lusting after more adventure-type bikes for a while also. At the end of the day, I figure 5 bikes would be about right - a naked commuter, a dual-sport/motard, a sport-tourer, an adventure bike and a super-sport.

sure a lighter bike would do better in the dirt if all else is held equal.....but all else is not held equal. Judging from ride reports and critiques from a whole lot of people on a forum called adventure riders something the KTM 990 is held in tremendously higher regard off-road than the F800GS. the 800 is lighter.....but everything on the KTM is geared for off-road. It is engineered towards the off-road side of the spectrum while the BMW is engineered for the on-road side of the spectrum.

Both bikes can do both.....but one falls on one side of the on/off road engineering philosophy and the other falls on the other side of it. There is no getting around that (unless youre on the KTM then you can go around anything).

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the mood to change the FZ6, it's been a great bike the last couple of years and am very glad I've had it but the last few months, I've been craving something for better long-term / high speed riding, that doesn't need to be wringed at 10,000 RPM to get some decent acceleration, doesn't leave my hands and arse buzzing after a days riding and doesn't sound like my gearbox is mashed up between 1st and 2nd.

I originally went for the FZ6-N (naked) because it was the cheapest bike I could afford that could do what I needed it to do. It's the first naked bike I've owned (previous was a SV650S) and I didn't expect there to be such a difference with high speed riding (especially in the rain). My next bike I will fork out a little more and get the faired version.

My ideal move right now would be to a Honda VFR800. I could cope with the higher price tag but not the higher insurance costs. The next peg down from there would be the Yammy FZ1. This bike have the spirit and fun that I love about the FZ6 but is better suited to high speed / long distance riding, has comfortable acceleration in lower RPM's, does not leave my hands and arse buzzing after a long days riding and does not clunk and grind between 1st and 2nd. The biggest bonus with the FZ1 is that the insurance costs are almost the same as the FZ6 and much much lower than the VFR.

Last edited:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope to replace her one day with a STriple R. I absolutely love the look and performance of that bike.
Oh, and most certainly need an "adventure" bike. I used to race downhill MTBs, and I backpack a bunch. A GS800 would fit the bill well.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
If you love the handling of the FZ6 then wait till you ride the FZ1. I used to look at other bikes before but now I just look at them for curiosity. Only others bike I would like to get is a V-Twin (Aprilia or Buell) and a track bike crotch rocket. Though FZ1 does all duties with perfection.

I don't think the insurance cost with the FZ1 is the same. SF charges me almost $550 vs $227 for 6 months.

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think the insurance cost with the FZ1 is the same. SF charges me almost $550 vs $227 for 6 months.

These are the best quotes I recieved not so long ago in the UK:

FZ6 = £307.61 (Hastings direct)
FZ1 = £424.43 (Direct choice)
VFR800 = £652.04 (Swinton Bikes)

Ok the FZ1 was a little more than the FZ6, but I can't justify paying more than double for the VFR.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Since this stupid thread, I've been really thinking about an adventure bike..... Even posted the FZ on craigs today. If I can get asking price, she might go.. Sad.

Thanks Lone :spank:

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
That Warrior is a nice looking bike! My riding buddy just got a Raider this year, also a pretty awesome ride. The torque of that 1800cc V-twin is simply ungodly...........

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Since this stupid thread, I've been really thinking about an adventure bike..... Even posted the FZ on craigs today. If I can get asking price, she might go.. Sad.

I started looking for end of the season deals on FZ1's and FJR's...... one dealer by me had a 2008 FZ1 for $7100 and a 2008 FJR for $9999. It was very hard to resist........

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

:)

When you find yourself coming to a rest for some sandwiches and are sitting alongside a gushing river which cuts through a mountain landscape....then you will have thanked me. That is all the thanks I need.

*bows*

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
As my practical nature usually overrules my impulsive nature, it would be very hard to justify another motorcycle. I already don't end up riding this one as much as I'd like two, and having a second one wouldn't help me ride any more. The only thing that my practical side doesn't like about the FZ6 is no ABS.

If my impulsive nature had it's way, I'd like to have a cruiser in addition to the FZ6. I've never ridden one, but I like how they look and sound. My favorite is the HD Road Glide monstrosity. The integrated fairing has that cool vision-of-the-future-circa-1960 look to it. A tourer like that might get my wife on it with me, and that could open some more riding possibilities.

If I was ever to upgrade the FZ6, I'd probably look at the FJR or K1200RT. Don't need the extra power, not really sure what attracts me to them, somehow just seduced by bigger-is-better thinking.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 is my first motorcycle so it will always be a fav. I have no complaints with it but I have found myself wanting something bigger, or something different. I have a couple projects that I want to do something with. I've joked about giving my FZ6 to my wife and getting something different for myself. She has an interest in learning to ride sometime in the future.

moopie

Reaction score
Visit site
After owning a rebel, a shadow 750, and a ninja 250....the FZ6 turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. I love it so much that I've invested about 2 grand worth of mods to make it even more enjoyable. I plan to own this bike for a very long time!