Do You Own the Right Motorcycle?

See post below. Then answer. Question is in red halfway down the post.

• Total voters

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Over the past few months, I have been finding my arsenal of motorcycles is a bit lacking. There was a time I was so thoroughly satisfied with what the FZ6 offered me I couldn't dream of asking for more. 26,000km later I feel the urge to expand my garage in several different directions. Once that happens, I will have a motorcycle for everything, and the FZ6 will retire to a life of honour being glass in the middle of my living room. Until then, I am restricted by lack of funds to this jack-of-all-trades and thoroughly satisfactory bike. She is a trooper and does everything I ask of her. She works her heart out to meet my demands and I love her for it. But, there are quite a few moments where I would love nothing more than to settle her into the corner of the garage and have an alternate bike. As time goes on these moments are happening more and more.

The problem, I think, is that what I want to do with my riding would be better suited by a couple different motorcycles. The problem is that until next year I can only afford one machine. So, I accept what I have, and it is definitely NOT a tough pill to swallow. The FZ6 is an amazing machine I am lucky to have owned.

So, to reference to my subject line, "Do you own the right motorcycle?" I would like to ask everyone, in which areas you feel your desires are not being met by the FZ6? For the riding you do or would like to do, is the FZ6 the ideal machine, or are you accepting an inferior riding experience to what COULD be.

I am not asking if you would be happier with a fleet of brand new motorcycles because, that would just be a waste of time. What I am asking is this:

Are you hungry enough for a better riding experience in some specific category that in the next year or two you would purchase an addition motorcycle? Consider money to be an object, but not enough of one to make this a reckless or impossible decision.

Personally, the FZ6 can't fulfill the following roles:

1) putting along country roads. My first riding experience was on a single cylinder 350cc royal enfield bullet. No helmet, just open air and 40kph. It was magical. I want to relive that. I want to buy an open0face helmet and import a royal enfield from india (you can import a pretty close to new one for like 3 or 4 grand with shipping). I want one of these so badly.

The FZ6 cant beat this for ride-enjoyment because no matter how hard I try, I cant keep the bike under 50kph. She just wants to move, MOVE, MOOOOOVE. I ride along slowly a bunch of the time, but her exhaust note just sounds so unhappy with me for doing it so I rarely stay that slow for more than 10 or 15 minutes.

1332744127_43a7740405.jpg

2) turning off the common roads with a tent and food and everything I need to survive for a while. KTM 990 adventure for me please. This may very well be my next bike when I graduate next summer. The more I think about it and read about it and research what kinds of riding this would open up for me, I get more and more sure that I will in fact be buying this machine.

The FZ6 is a road bike. So it is not the right bike to fulfill the adventure-seeking long-range missile nature of the 990 adventure.
1961613935_13c2bc53e5.jpg

3) Yamaha R1 in a few years. I dont think I need to explain why.

So I plan on getting numbers 1 and 2 ASAP. Hopefully middle of summer next year. Until I can afford the R1 I will still have a place for the FZ6 in my garage as my canyon-carver, track bike and general-sports-machine. Once I get all three of those machines......she will have to go behind glass.....or if im married by then my wife can ride her!! (in addition to me :p)

I would love to read similar assessments from you guys about your own selves. You dont need to write as much as I did, but I would love to read everyone's take on their bikes and how fulfulling they are, or are not.

Please be honest with yourselves and all of us.

Last edited:

PhotoFug

Reaction score
Visit site
I would have to agree with the KTM, although I would swap the Enfield, for a Ural Patrol then I can bring the wife/dog with me in the sidecar.

Last edited:

alfagama

Reaction score
Visit site
I am facing the same problem, specifically on having the need to have a trail-like motorcycle, and also like the KTM 990 Adventure, and also the BMW 800GS.
I think there are too many beautiful places waiting to be discovered, but are placed far from a paved road, so there comes the need for an off-roader or trail bike.

Blackblood

OMG Wheelies!
Reaction score
www.quayvipersmcc.com
I've found lately too that I yearn more for an offroad/enduro bike. Road/touring bike wise I'm in love with the R1200GS Adventure and would happily purchase an R1/R6 or GSXR the track.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I've found myself looking at more sports-oriented bikes lately...particularly the XB12R, although the upcoming VFR1200 has also caught my eye. There was an article about it in one of the moto mags last month and apparently it is going to be more busa/zx14r oriented than touring. I am a sucker for cool gizmo stuff and the VFR has plenty. But the Buell caught my eye before I even got the FZ6 and has never let go.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
I have actually sold my FZ6 earlier this year, and bought a FJR1300. My riding had evolved towards more pure touring. I wanted a stronger engine (especially at lower rpms), more wind-protection, ABS, luggage cases, and so on and so on. The FJR fit the bill perfectly.

I couldn't be happier, and the FJR is gonna stay with me for a long time.

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
Deep down i want a BMW GS 1100/1150/1200, whichever. Im only 24 but deep down im like you, just want to get away for a while off the beaten track and enjoy the world. Recently tested a 1200gs and they handle very very well, as good as the FZ6 imho, and with 105bhp almost as quick.

My ideal garage would be a dual sport and a track bike i could use occasionally on the road. The FZ6 tho is pretty close to both of these so will do for another year atleast

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my FZ6's, and wont be selling the black one for a very ong time, but i yearn for one of these buggers! Just a big brute of a bike, ugly as sin, which makes the thing so goddam beautiful, at the same time!!

View attachment 21880

:rockon:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking about stepping up to a FZ1 in 4-5 years if it's still offered for sale in the US. By then, my 2008 FZ6 will be approximately 5 or 6 years old and should have around 50,000 miles on it. I figure 50,000 miles on a motorcycle should help me determine exactly what my riding style is, and what I expect the bike to do.

I know that I want something with a smoother transmission, more torque lower in the RPM's, and an engine that's less buzzy and peaky.

Other prospects include the Triumph Speed Triple, Triumph Sprint ST, the new Honda Interceptor (VFR) or anything else that tickles my fancy over the next 5 years.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I do love my FZ6. As has been stated many many times, it's a great jack-of-all-trades bike. Great for hitting twisties, scooting around town, or moderate sport touring. I has a 81 Suzuki GS850 that needs some work. Once it's running, I see using it a little bit for putting around town, and maybe shorter day trips. My real desire is in touring though. The FZ6 is pretty good as a sport tourer. With my TS seat, I can go almost all day without loosing my arse and my hard trunk and saddle bags give me enough luggage space for a couple of days. However, earlier this year I took a GL1800 Goldwing for a ride and instantly fell in love. I will have one eventually. The FZ6 simply won't do for long long touring rides, especially with two people. I want a bike that eventually a wife and myself can take around the country. Being a college student though that's not really practical. I'm hoping a few years after I graduate I'll be able to pick up a slightly used whatever the successor to the GL1800 will be. I don't foresee ever getting rid of the FZ6 though. It's a heck of a bike, especially for the price, and I just don't think I could ever justify getting rid of it. I still want something for some moderate sport riding and the FZ is perfect for that.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. I totalled the 07 and just bought an 09 wednesday. It does it all. There are other bikes out there that appeal to me, just not in a hurry to get one.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my 08 "out" for the first time yesterday for a spirited 150 mile trek of back roads and twisties. And i did it in complete comfort with growl!. If i ever decide to replace or expand i cant imagine riding any bike that is not similar in nature! Hopefully there will be a few more choices in the future. I love when this bike comes alive.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my 07 FZ6,and I will keep it forever since it's the first New bike ive ever bought....I do plan on getting a full blown touring machine by 40 years old,and see the country on two wheels with the wife in total comfort with stereo ,and intercom helmets!! :rockon: :D

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lone, I want the same three types of bikes you do, just different models:

Putterer: Triumph Bonneville T100
Tourer: BMW F800GS
Racer: Ducati 848

I probably will be getting the BMW next year, right now I'm preparing to replace my carpeting, and then build a home theater system; the BMW will have to wait.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
The FZ6 is everything I need, and is very satisfying.

However, given that there are so many great bikes out there (Buell being the sexiest :drool:) and so many different purposes to be met. I often find myself wanting different bikes at different times.

To satisfy this wandering eye, I choose to mod :thumbup:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lone, I want the same three types of bikes you do, just different models:

Putterer: Triumph Bonneville T100
Tourer: BMW F800GS
Racer: Ducati 848

I probably will be getting the BMW next year, right now I'm preparing to replace my carpeting, and then build a home theater system; the BMW will have to wait.

awesome!!

but i must say, for those people suggesting the F800GS over the 990 adventure you will need to take into account the trips you will be taking with it. If you will ever be getting into REALLY rough stuff or even on the mildly rough stuff, the KTM will vastly outperform the bmw. It is just a million times better off road than the bmw.

For on the road comforts and handling though the BMW fares better. I want to not be limited ever. I want to have the comfort of knowing no matter where I go my bike will handle it with ease....river crossings, fields ravaged by land-mines and rain, and whatever else. The KTM i feel is the one to fill that role.

The triumph is a bloody great motorcycle and if I didnt already have an emotional bond with the royal enfield I would definitely be looking at that triumph....even though it would delay the purchase a few years because of the extra cost.

@ everyone else, thanks people, love reading those.

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Love my FZ6!! will be adding to the garage however, trying to decide between a dedicated track bike (most likely an R6) or a true supersport. Looking at the Triumph 675 and a Ducati 848 if I go that route. Wither way the FZ6 is staying put for the versatility and commuting. Frankly the FZ6 as I have it set up now is so capable, commuting most days and the weekends in the fast twisties with friends that the Trackbike option is looking more and more appealing.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Love my FZ6!! will be adding to the garage however, trying to decide between a dedicated track bike (most likely an R6) or a true supersport. Looking at the Triumph 675 and a Ducati 848 if I go that route. Wither way the FZ6 is staying put for the versatility and commuting. Frankly the FZ6 as I have it set up now is so capable, commuting most days and the weekends in the fast twisties with friends that the Trackbike option is looking more and more appealing.

The R6 is a true supersport. It runs par for the course laid out by its competitors (for example the 675 and 848 you mention). Im curious why you say it is not a true supersport?