Does anyone use the Nikon D40 or D60

Gemini77

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope this was the right place to ask this question....im in the market for a new camera and im wanting to know if anyone has used the Nikon D40 or D60 and what they think....Pro's and Con's???

andrewclaycomb

Reaction score
Visit site

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
I hope this was the right place to ask this question....im in the market for a new camera and im wanting to know if anyone has used the Nikon D40 or D60 and what they think....Pro's and Con's???

KenRockwell.com is a pretty reliable place for reviews and such. For its size and price, the D40 is one of the best cameras around, and for many guys is the prefered cam to take with them daily (it weighs nothing)

DPreview is another place with great reviews

If you're going to make prints over 18" maybe the D60 will be better for you. The kit lens with the D60 is alittle better as well, since it's a VR lens, but with an 18-55, vibration reduction isn't usually necessary.

The D40 is a bit nicer in low light situations, since there are less pixels, meaning each gets more light, while the D60 can be alittle more noiser, due to the denser pixels.

Either is a great bang for the buck.

Personally, as far as cons go, I dislike how they don't provide a control for white balance, iso, exposure on the body. You can set a secondry control to one of iso or wb, but need to use the menus for the other and the exposure settings. Minor thing, but if you shoot in many different situations it can be annoying.

If I were you, I'ld grab the D40, and pick up a 55-200vr lens, maybe tripod and a nice bag as well, which should be the difference in price from the d40 to the d60 (there have been many sales on the 40 as of late)

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Today, Nikon & Canon are pretty much the same in terms of options and quality. I have the Canon Rebel XTi 10.1MP and it rocks... I assume either of the Nikons you posted will make you just as happy (I`d go with 10MP or more though, as it is very usefull, and will last you longer).

Good luck!

swerve9031

Reaction score
Visit site
Gemini, I have a D80, there are basic thing s that the D80 does that the D40 won't, not sure about the D60 as it's a bit new over here.

My wife and I both use D80's and the resolution is amazing, she has images for sale with phot agencies taken with hers. Beware of which lens you get. I had an 18-135 with mine and it was dreadful when I added a filter, vignetted very badly at the wider end of the zoom range. I got rid and went with an 18-200, huge price but well worth the extra.

Gemini77

Reaction score
Visit site
I want the camera for family and vacations but I would also like to try Photography as a hobby, maybe take a class to get the most out of the camera......I have always had the point and click type and I know SLR is the way to go and I have heard good and bad about the D40.....just wanted some more opinions. I would like to get on before Christmas.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the D-200 and absolutely love it. From what I've heard, the D40x is an incredible bargain.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
I have a D50 but two things come to mind.

1) The D40 does not have a an internal focus drive motor - so forget about older prime lenses.

2) The D40 only shows the settings in the viewfinder.

I would think... unless you really plan on doing serious photography than the D40 will give you great pictures. Good luck.

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
1) The D40 does not have a an internal focus drive motor - so forget about older prime lenses.

2) The D40 only shows the settings in the viewfinder.

1 is true, and very annoying
2, however, is false. there's no top screen to show settings, but the back lcd is another display that shows the settings as well as in the viewfinder.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I my dad owns a Nikon D60 and I use it quite often. To be honest, most of the time i stick it in auto mode and shoot away. Pictures come crisp and clean if you set the ISO correctly. Auto focus is super quick, tho sometimes it has a hard time finding a focus zone, but i believe this could be caused by my shaky hands. I really like the paparazzi mode when taking photos of moving objects; very useful. It also comes with its own battery pack, so you dont have to buy batteries for it when it runs out. Lots and lots of features. I probably only use about 10% of what it is capable of doing.

ltdan

Reaction score
Visit site
Recommended Cameras

Get the D40. It will be all the camera you need and then some! It should last you for a long time to come, and when you have developed skills beyond it, it will still be a nice small and light camera to carry around on family day-tris or whatever.

Don't worry about the mega-pixel rating of the camera. In the price range you are talking about, a 6mp camera has the same physical size sensor as a 10mp camera, the 10mp just has more "pixels" crammed into the same space, which just makes for noisier photos, especially in low light situations. How many 3'x5' prints do you usually make? Exactly, and even with the 6mp camera, from a reasonable veiwing distance, they will look the same as a 3 foot by 5 foot print from the 10mp camera.
The D40 not having an internal focus drive motor is not really an issue either, all of Nikon's newer AF-S lenses have their own built-in focus motors. and for what you're doing they're all you need.

I would pick up the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G-Zoom-Nikkor/dp/B000KJQ1DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1212503904&sr=1-1"]D40 with 18-55mm kit lens[/ame] and then grab the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-200mm-3-5-5-6-ED-IF-Zoom-Nikkor/dp/B000BY52NU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1212503519&sr=1-1"] 18-200mm VR[/ame] lens when you can afford it (sell the 18-55mm to recoup some of the cost).

Last edited:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i use the D200 for my job, great camera but as far as amateur photography a alot over kill. I use the D40 for my personal stuff pics are amazing. i also use it on the auto non flash setting. I have taken many pics and i blow them up pretty big, 12X18. Havent had a need to go bigger but my setting isnt very high also so the camera is capable of higher. the D40 you can pick up pretty cheap i think it was best buy that had them for 5something and it came with the reg lens and the 55-200 lens. the D200 your looking at around 800 for just the body and cam and lens your looking at around 1200 for one that hasnt been used alot new your prob around 1500. stay away from ebay most are grey market cameras not us cameras basically grey market is a europe camera and cant be worked on in the us by nikon, you cant register it either. find a reputable camera place around you and that is the best way to go they will take care of you!