Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say my FZ6 has soul.

It's pretty much the definition of modern Japanese four cylinder appliance, but.... it's got this lovely sound at idle and has this sort of jekyll and hyde power band that sounds ridiculous above 7,000 rpm, not to mention it's a great looking bike!

I've spent time on the European equivalent (Street Triple) and it's surely different, but does it have more soul? No way. If anything the euro bikes are a bit more refined.

What do you guys think?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely. If you compare it to the Honda and Suzuki equivalents (Hornet and Bandit) you can see there's something special about the FZ6. If you asked someone who'd never seen a motorcycle before to draw a machine with a wheel at the front, a wheel at the back, an engine in the middle and somewhere for a rider to sit on top: they'd draw a Bandit or Hornet. It takes a little something else to produce that tank shape, tuck the exhaust away, and make the behaviour you mentioned above.

I don't agree about the STriple though. Something that ugly, with those hooligan credentials, just can't be considered "refined".

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely. If you compare it to the Honda and Suzuki equivalents (Hornet and Bandit) you can see there's something special about the FZ6. If you asked someone who'd never seen a motorcycle before to draw a machine with a wheel at the front, a wheel at the back, an engine in the middle and somewhere for a rider to sit on top: they'd draw a Bandit or Hornet. It takes a little something else to produce that tank shape, tuck the exhaust away, and make the behaviour you mentioned above.

I don't agree about the STriple though. Something that ugly, with those hooligan credentials, just can't be considered "refined".

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Agreed 100% ^^^^^.

I guess I'm old school.

On the newer bikes, the funky front fenders(that don't work), look like beaks, different sized headlights, just plain, weird designs, IMO, are just plain ugly...

The FZ is very simple, good looking, as noted Jekyl and Hyde attitude and is very user friendly.

I know mine has soul. While not named (just the blue bike), I know her, what she can do, what she can't and is easily the most dependable bikes I've owned.. She has NEVER failed me. Even with a "key" jambed"/leaking in my rear tire, she got me home!!

I can easily afford any new bike out there(not bragging), but don't want a different bike. This suits my needs exactly.

Now, if I did long distance road trips, they'd be another FJR in the garage next to it. Other than that, she's got her spot in the garage and gets treated to the best fluids, etc I can put in her...

With that said, the newer bikes (FJRs included), have so many advanced electronic's (some not bad), BUT if you keep a bike for any length of time (which I do), I don't want ABS, traction control, etc, just more stuff to break down with time and use......

With the cooler weather down here, my mileage went up about 8 MPG, mid 50's around town! What else can you ask for??

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed 100% ^^^^^.

That's going in my sig! Lol

I....... don't want a different bike. This suits my needs exactly.

That's the trouble I've got now. I'm putting mileage on this thing like the clappers, so I'm watching Kennys threads like a hawk to see how long they last. The plan is (much like Kenny has done) to buy a new bike next year, depending on a couple of financial objectives, and have that as a "toy" until the FZ6 croaks, and then have the new bike take over as the work horse.

Can I find a new bike that does everything the FZ6 does and makes me fall in love with it at the same time? Can I hell. If they've got the looks, they don't have the practicality. If they've got the practicality, they don't have the fun. If they've got the fun, they don't have the tank range. It's a nightmare.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know how that got there, my boo I guess. That'll teach me :spank: ...

BTW, a bit larger but the FJR has EVERYTHING the FZ has, just bigger, a bit heavier but fast, amazingly agile for its size. Many are well known to go to the 200,000 mile mark plus. Most going easily over 100,000 iles. You can usually get a good deal on a couple year old bike...

If I wrecked the FZ, etc, a new FJR would replace it, no doubt..

Last edited:

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
Soul/ Character seems in too many people's (read journalists') minds to be attached to unreliable, uncomfortable bikes that either have no power or no range. Great for riding to your local roadside cafe and hanging out with a bunch of blokes in leather trousers while silently nursing your sore neck/ shoulders/ back/ arse/ wallet and looking at how shiny it is, but not much use in real life.

The FZ is not the supermodel you dream of, but the nice looking girl you can live with day in day out (and yes, she knows how to party when the the time's right)