Don't Ignore your gauges!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
Its something most of us never think about or ever replace on a bike. Oddly I believe mine is failing.

It usually warms up pretty quick, within 2ish miles of riding with a good 30 seconds of idle while I finish gearing up but lately I have been able to make it to work (~6) miles and the temp is still flashing at me. :( Leading me to believe the thermostat is sticking open (arguably the best of the two outcomes).
Even in sub freezing temps It is up to NOT within 3 miles. I have regularly changed coolant, generally it is in late October or November when the big swing comes to Georgia so gunk is unlikely to be the cause, even with 50,000+ on her now.

MORAL OF THE TERRIBLY WRITTEN STORY: don't ignore subtle things out of the norm like a gauge blinking longer then usual or coming up faster. This could easily swing the other way any day at random and stick shut and cause the motor to overheat and do potential irreversible damage before you notice the fan is on and not helping coolant temps.

thermostats and coolant are cheap compared to a motor.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Its something most of us never think about or ever replace on a bike. Oddly I believe mine is failing.

It usually warms up pretty quick, within 2ish miles of riding with a good 30 seconds of idle while I finish gearing up but lately I have been able to make it to work (~6) miles and the temp is still flashing at me. :( Leading me to believe the thermostat is sticking open (arguably the best of the two outcomes).
Even in sub freezing temps It is up to NOT within 3 miles. I have regularly changed coolant, generally it is in late October or November when the big swing comes to Georgia so gunk is unlikely to be the cause, even with 50,000+ on her now.

MORAL OF THE TERRIBLY WRITTEN STORY: don't ignore subtle things out of the norm like a gauge blinking longer then usual or coming up faster. This could easily swing the other way any day at random and stick shut and cause the motor to overheat and do potential irreversible damage before you notice the fan is on and not helping coolant temps.

thermostats and coolant are cheap compared to a motor.

You need a motor by chance Blah ?