Dual Sport Motorcycles

Mr.Spoofy

Reaction score
Visit site
I’m thinking of getting a dual sport bike, what are your thoughts, experience and comments. The down side I’ll have to sell the FZ6. I’m liking the KTM 450 EXC.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
My neighbor has a Buell Dual Sport, and he loves it. I am not sure which one it is, but it is a big bike. To each his own, but what makes you want to change?

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got an XR650L, it will go about anywhere and is pretty fast for a dual sport.
The only complaint is I'm 140 lbs and the shock is a little stiff for my weight, and the 37" seat height kinda leaves out the short guys. I'm 6'0 and can barely get my feet on the ground. Other than that it is great!

attachment.php

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I would recommend the 650 V-strom... You will regret the 450 if you have to do much highway riding... Thumpers are just not good for that kind of riding....

Mr.Spoofy

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the idea of being able to ride anywhere, that just sounds like fun. I have had the FZ6 for just over a year, and its been great. As far as highway time, I don't do much so the 450 should be fine.

robbijer

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Husqvarna 610 dual sport and that thing is awesome, no stopping where the pavement ends. It is fast and has great suspension.

The minuses of it are: it is a little expensive compared to some of the others out there, its a little tall, the seat is not very comfy for long highway rides, and the headlight is not very bright. Other than those it rocks.

Luckily I am fortunate enough to have that and my FZ6. You should look into them during your search. Good luck:rockon:

Last edited:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dual Purpose - Kawasaki.com DON'T buy one of these peices of junk! I have worked on a few of them.the blinkers fall off the mufflers fall off and they don't have any power!the things allmost as bad as a China bike.IMO Honda (sorry guy's) makes the best dual sport bikes.P.S. KTM makes good bikes.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I’m thinking of getting a dual sport bike, what are your thoughts, experience and comments. The down side I’ll have to sell the FZ6. I’m liking the KTM 450 EXC.

You can "dual-sport" on a cruiser if you want. It really depends on how you define dual-sporting...three basic levels of dual sport for me.

1. This consists of tightly packed hard dirt like most county roads in this part of Texas. Letting out about 5-8 pounds of tire pressure on the FZ6, you can ride really fast and safely on this type of road as long as you don't hit large rocks or heavy sand.

rockon.gif

2. Fire roads with some mild sand, small rocks such one might find in Colorado, is best suited for a bike like a V-Strom 650 by Suzuki. The V-Strom 650 is also an excellent highway bike so if you need to ride really far to get to the off-road stuff, this may be the way to go. Just add some Continental TKC80 tires to enhance traction. Another option is the new KLR, which is slightly better off-road but is less highway friendly.

V-Strom

2007_11_03_dualsport08.jpg

KLR

13738d1187498583-2008-klr-650-dscn0013.jpg

3. This would consist mainly of single track with minimal highway riding with various surface properties and for this the DRZ400 by Suzuki is an excellent choice or perhaps the new Yamaha fuel injected WR250. In rough single track riding, less weight is good!

DRZ400

nv03$070.jpg

Yamaha WR250

YamahaWR250F.JPG

I would stick with Japanese brands for reliability, cost and the plethora of retail outlets.

If cost is NO concern and you don't mind the lack of extensive dealership support, go for the new BMW GS800. You don't have to worry about the final drive-shaft crapping out in the middle of nowhere like the GS1200 is well-know to do.

GS800.311171314_std.jpg

Anyway, check out advrider.com, lots of good advice there.

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
... perhaps the new Yamaha fuel injected WR250. In rough single track riding, less weight is good!

Yamaha WR250

YamahaWR250F.JPG

I had a Yamaha XT250 and wished I had gone with a WR for the fuel injection. Starting with a choke isn't a big deal but sometimes makes it hard to start when it's chilly or wet out.

Dual sport is fun to ride and gas mileage is great too but top speed on these things are only about 70 mph so definately pick something stronger if you intend to ride on the highway...ever.

Another thing that you may or may not have to consider is seat height. A lot of the bigger engine dirt bikes are also a lot higher off the ground which may be uncomfortable/dangerous if you're not a basketball player.

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I second the DRZ for price and off road ability. If you basically want a street legal dirt bike it's for you. If you want a dirt road touring bike I'd get the v-strom.

If you have a little more money to spend look at the Husqvarna TE610 for serious dirt or just about any BMW for back road touring.

If I lived in an area with more public land ie: Colorado, Utah I would probably be looking really hard at a TE610. But I live in Texas and there is no such thing as public land.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
having owned a DRZ in supermoto form ..i would recomend to anyone..100mph was just in reach and the torque is huge..although i would go for the "E" model (enduro) as is comes with an FCR35 pumper carb.. the problem is with these kind of bikes is the range..i used to get 75miles to a tank..so if that is an issue got for a V-srtom..or stick with Yam and have a look at the TDM (big bike, maybe to heavy)

ThumperTalk is full of usefull info and is very freindly..owners of all makes and models (of single cylinder D/S, E and MX) use this site

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Mr. Spoofy..

I would seriously consider the Kawi KLR 650. Somebody else slammed it, but I've only heard good things about it. I don't know much about the new generation (that came out in, what? 07?) though. Some friends of mine have ridden their's across country multiple times as well as taken them on countless, serious trail rides. One in particular has twice ridden his from Richmond , VA to Montana to ride the CDT to Mexico and back to Richmond. He's 65 and is happy on that thing for a 1000 miles at a pop.

Then again, if you're not using it for adventure touring or any kind of distance riding then maybe a thumper is right for you. Be careful though. I love my XT225, but it's annoying if it's you're only bike. These small duals are fun and flickable, but sometimes you just want to go longer/faster than a 225cc street legal dirt bike is capable of.

Actually, get the F800GS so I can live vicariously through you. I love that rig.
bmw-f800gs-2008.jpg

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BMW Motorrad International when i was bike shopping. this bmw was my first choice until I rode the fz6.There have been a few times I wish I would have got the bmw instead.it was only a feww hundred more dollars than the fz here at my local dealer.it comes with a realy good warranty also. bmw f 650 gs

Last edited: