Dude, I need to replace the stock bars...

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Well after 550 miles I am just not digging the stock bars. I know a few of you had replaced there bars. I had a few questions if you can give me some direction.

What bars will the stock barends bolt onto?
What bars will all the stock instrumentation bolt onto?
Can I go with a larger diameter bar with stock instrumentation/ controls?

Thought about the FZ1, Rizoma, Renthal, or DMV bars.

Pro's and Con's?

Your input would be appreciated.

I can only answer a couple of your questions. The FZ1 bars with accept the stock bar ends. The FZ1 bars also accept the stock controls with minimal modification. I only had to drill one small hole on the throttle side when I installed my FZ1 bars. The FZ1 bars give you a more aggressive riding position as your weight is over the front end more due to very low rise. I am 6'2'' and find that the FZ1 bars are more comfortable. HTH.

I've tried both FZ1 and Renthal. Renthal Urltra Low gave me perfect riding position, but it didn't work with stock bar ends. I did mount heavy bar ends to them (HVMP) even though it wasn't recommended and they still vibrated quite a bit more than stock.
FZ1 bar... just perfect. Everything fits (stock bar ends and all controls). I didn't drill hole(s).. I ground off the little plastic tabs (this allows moving controls in/out as well as up/down to give you optimal riding position.
Oh and it's cheap!
Oversized bar will only work with adapters.

I have Rizoma MA001 bar (did not like stock or FZ1 - had both before) - Rizoma Handlebar MA001 - Standard 22mm, PJ's Parts
Rizoma MA512 bar ends - MA512 Rizoma Conical Bar Ends / Handlebar Caps wt Sliders, PJ's Parts
And since both bar and bar ends are light weight - I bought two packages of bb gun steel balls at basspro shops, mixed it with silicone, let it dry overnight and stuffed inside the bar.
I also have bar risers from twisted throttle.
Result - awesome seating position, no buzz at any speeds and good looks :D

Don't rule out the stock FZ6R bars, either. I've heard several people put them on and are happy with them.

I bought two packages of bb gun steel balls at basspro shops, mixed it with silicone, let it dry overnight and stuffed inside the bar.

Result - awesome seating position, no buzz at any speeds and good looks :D

NO BUZZ AT ALL!!!! No way!:eek: im about to go out and buy this stuff...if ur telling the truth my hands/ wrist will be grateful:bow::bow::bow:

WHICH EXACT SILICONE ARE YOU USING??

What are you looking for in a bar wider, taller? I agree with the with the FZ6R bar I tried and it is much easier on my wrists and the stock bar ends will work and everything bolts right up. Hope this helps.

What are you looking for in a bar wider, taller? I agree with the with the FZ6R bar I tried and it is much easier on my wrists and the stock bar ends will work and everything bolts right up. Hope this helps.

This bike will be a 60 mile daily driver. I imagine the more upright the better for longer distances.

This is probably irrelevant. But I did test drive a FZ6R a couple months back the bike fit like a glove (short legs, 36" reach). Of course the FZ6R is a totally different bike.

I like the FZ1 drag style bars. They look great. Just don't know how well they will fit. I cant help but notice regardless of the FZ1 bars not having height, the bars are none the less originally intended for a sport/tourer. Of course this also probably irrelevant because they are intended for the FZ1 and not the FZ6.

All things considered, what are the changes between the FZ6R and the FZ6 ? The wrist position? On an alternate note are the FZ6R bars much taller than the FZ6 bars? does anybody have a measurement comparison between the FZ6R bars and the FZ6 bars?

I planned on also putting bar end mirrors.

Also I did stumble upon this site for stock measurements for some bikes if anybody might need this.
Stock Motorcycle Handlebar Measurements

Enough of my rambling, maybe I will give both a shot. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
I went with the FZ6R bars a few weeks ago. They were a direct replacement for the stock bars -- no drilling, no removing a tab, and the stock bar ends fit perfectly. So far they're ok, but I still get a little bit of wrist pain. Over the weekend, I might experiment with rotating the bars a bit to see if that helps. If not, I might try the FZ1 bars.

So does anyone know of a cheap source for the FZ1 bars? I see them on ebay for $45 plus $25 shipping. Looking to spend less than $70 for a piece of tubular steel with some holes in it.

I went with the FZ6R bars a few weeks ago. They were a direct replacement for the stock bars -- no drilling, no removing a tab, and the stock bar ends fit perfectly. So far they're ok, but I still get a little bit of wrist pain. Over the weekend, I might experiment with rotating the bars a bit to see if that helps. If not, I might try the FZ1 bars.

If you feel like going one notch higher try the Renthal 787, that's what I'm using on the 6R and loving it. I bought a tap kit (M16 x 1.5) from Ebay for about $15.00 or so to use the stock bar end... now I have the heavy bar end. I personally prefer the black handlebar and the cross bar (without the off road pad) does great to support my GPS.

Just one more option... I had to reroute the cable and brake lines. The wires were ok... just had to cut few tyrap and pick up the slack...

For anyone looking to get the FZ1 bars at the best price I could find online.

2D1-26111-00-00 YAMAHA HANDLEBAR $30.63

Comes to about $37 shipped

Thanks for the lead! At that price how can you go wrong? It's worth a shot. The fact that everything bolts up and the stock barends part# are the same for the FZ6 and FZ1 is well worth giving it a go.:thumbup:

I switched to the FZ1 bars and put about 150 miles on them. Absolutely love them and they way they make the bike handle. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I switched to the FZ1 bars and put about 150 miles on them. Absolutely love them and they way they make the bike handle. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Glad to hear you like them! I'm really looking forward to trying them out. I definitely miss the handling of my Ninja 250 with the more leaned forward position. I know the FZ6 will never be as nimble as the 250, but the FZ1 bars will hopefully be an improvement.

Back