early planning 2010 trip

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site

J_Slyter

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, any particular reason you are sticking to the Interstates?

If you are looking for some fun roads I'd include:

Colorado 550, between Ouray and Durango, aka as the Million Dollar Hwy
Utah 12 through Escalante National Monument
Beartooth Pass (Hwy 212) as you head east out of the the NE entrance to Yellowstone.
If you are paying to go through Yellowstone, you may as well enter through Jackson, Wy and head through Teton National Park too, if you have not been there before. One entry fee gets you both parks, I think (I just bought the annual Parks Pass though).

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site

+∞

Rode those two during my first long-distance solo ride last month. Hwy 12 and riding through Zion were quite memorable. Pics. Just depends on how much time you have, as backroads would add several days to your journey.

At least take the legendary Angeles Crest Highway on your way to LA (as Cali mentioned) since it's not really going out of your way. Think about it... take ACH, one of the best roads to ride in the country -or sit in the longest traffic jam ever on yet another freeway. Easy choice if you ask me. :thumbup: Last gas station for about 70 miles is in Wrightwood, so plan accordingly.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, any particular reason you are sticking to the Interstates?

Beartooth Pass (Hwy 212) as you head east out of the the NE entrance to Yellowstone.
If you are paying to go through Yellowstone, you may as well enter through Jackson, Wy and head through Teton National Park too, if you have not been there before. One entry fee gets you both parks, I think (I just bought the annual Parks Pass though).

This would be a good start.

Save the slab riding for to and from the Rockies

What time of the year are you doing this little run? Gets mighty dang toasty in the south in the summer. How much time do you have for this ride? Easier to suggest roads with this info.

Try picking up a Rand McNally atlas and start looking for the scenic roads, way more interesting and fun.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I will try to avoid the interstate when possible, it just makes routing easier. This is likely going to take place next summer but the plans are very very young still and could be completely changed between now and then.

Thanks for the advice, guys, this is what I am looking for.