Eff youtube

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As I mentioned in few other posts, youtube now blocks audio and mobile playback on just about every video with soundtrack (they use software to scan all uploaded videos and if the song matches their DB, they disable audio).
I've been hosting a site for a long time now and in the blog I mostly post the same stuff I post here, but I just managed to get flash player working directly in the blog (won't work on iPad and iPhone, but should work on just about everything else).

So what do you think.. try my own hosting or continue using youtube and just skip the soundtrack?

Video hosting test | Joisey Boyz Gastronomical Society

Correction.. it DOES work on Droid :D

I just had to change browser setting on my phone for "plug-ins". I originally had it set to "never". Changed it to "on-demand" and it's all good now.

Yeah I hate that with a passion. Why I can't use music I bought to accompany a personal, non-commercial video is beyond me.

You saw what I did with my latest video... was too lazy to sift through and find a non-copyrighted song that fit, so no audio. Not a good solution, just the result of laziness.

vimeo doesnt let you either?

They have same legal terms, but I don't know if they actually scan uploaded vids. I know vimeo vids won't play on my phone, whereas the one on my blog works. Vimeo app doesn't work on my phone at all :don'tknow:

The video on your blog site is at a high resolution, 1280x720, making for a slow, jerky download -- for me, anyway. (My ISP running at a pokey 2.5 Mbps tonight.) Consider a way to shrink them if you choose to continue hosting videos there, HD videos on YouTube are usually no better, speed-wise, but you have the option to switch to 480p or 360p mode to speed them up.

IMO, the soundtrack is a nice-to-have, but no great loss if you can't find a way to keep them -- it's the visuals that matter.

Your blog made me hungry with those delicious looking food posts. :drool: Time for dinner!

The video on your blog site is at a high resolution, 1280x720, making for a slow, jerky download -- for me, anyway. (My ISP running at a pokey 2.5 Mbps tonight.) Consider a way to shrink them if you choose to continue hosting videos there, HD videos on YouTube are usually no better, speed-wise, but you have the option to switch to 480p or 360p mode to speed them up.

IMO, the soundtrack is a nice-to-have, but no great loss if you can't find a way to keep them -- it's the visuals that matter.

Your blog made me hungry with those delicious looking food posts. :drool: Time for dinner!

Excellent point about the speed and giving viewers the option to choose settings. I can certainly host 2 versions of each video, I suppose. Really don't want to give up the music if I don't have to.

Thanks!

OK.. just added low def version. Just 10mb vs 72mb for HD. Give it a try :thumbup:

Plays almost instantly on my phone via 3G :D

Last edited:
OK.. just added low def version. Just 10mb vs 72mb for HD. Give it a try :thumbup:

Plays almost instantly on my phone via 3G :D

Perfect! :thumbup: Not a single hiccup during playback. Looks fine in full screen mode, too, on my old 1024x768 laptop. Not blocky at all.

Depends on how many hits you were getting from people searching from within youtube, potentially driving traffic to your website if you put a link in the description :)

As I mentioned in few other posts, youtube now blocks audio and mobile playback on just about every video with soundtrack (they use software to scan all uploaded videos and if the song matches their DB, they disable audio).

So if I'm interpretting this properly, you've been notified by Youtube to remove your video because it contains copywrite material, the music to be precise. I've had this too and had to remove videos as well.

How does Shrevy do it? I noticed his videos in the RC section still have music to them. Apparently there is a list of approved music somewhere? Does anyone know how to insert music to video without getting flagged?

So if I'm interpretting this properly, you've been notified by Youtube to remove your video because it contains copywrite material, the music to be precise. I've had this too and had to remove videos as well.

How does Shrevy do it? I noticed his videos in the RC section still have music to them. Apparently there is a list of approved music somewhere? Does anyone know how to insert music to video without getting flagged?

LOL ..... I reckon i could let you in on my finding the un-protected music you can post on youtube secret.................................................. Just Youtube search the song title you want to use in your vid,and if it has a lyrics vid or several album cover audio only vids.......... Its all good...... Its that easy.... :BLAA: :rockon: :rockon:

There's also audioswap option, but it's less than ideal. Youtube offers to replace your soundtrack with any of the songs on their relatively big list. I haven't come across any songs on it I actually wanted to use, but I didn't search very hard.

This will probably never happen but if somehow the RIAA finds your video with copyrighted music they will sue you. They have done this in the past, this is why youtube has to remove audio. Also if a video is embedded in a post here other forum or blog the owners of the site and server can get a take down notice and could also be sued if the audio is not removed.

I know this sounds insane but this is happening.

This will probably never happen but if somehow the RIAA finds your video with copyrighted music they will sue you. They have done this in the past, this is why youtube has to remove audio. Also if a video is embedded in a post here other forum or blog the owners of the site and server can get a take down notice and could also be sued if the audio is not removed.

I know this sounds insane but this is happening.

Unfortunately this is very true. I've only of heard of people being sued for downloading music for free. Have not heard of individuals being sued for using music in videos.
What's really sad is music industry could really clean up by offering people to legally use any given song in a video for a small fee (I'd gladly pay a buck per video), but they're just to thick to agree to that.

This is pretty useful. I'm gonna try the sites he suggested (don't let the title fool you.. this is the legal approach) [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVs04bm8ua4]How not to get caught for copyright infringement[/ame]

Well, can you still use 30 sec. bits like commercials do and not get slammed? I know erci can put together some cool vids that way!

Back