Electrical connection burning

Jake06

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know a part number for this black box?
It started smoking and burning when we reconnected the white plug.

The bike is an 06 FZ6

Fz6 plug by jmw422, on Flickr

Any help would be great, thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum!

Where is that module located?

I've been looking in at the color coded schematics that include the plugs and wire color code and can't find a plug listed like that one.

Is it possible this is an aftermarket part that was maybe for grip heater or some other accessory. Does the bike run okay with all lights, horn etc. ?

[MENTION=458]bd43[/MENTION] Thanks for the photo link help.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Location is alaska but any chance its a euro bike and that unit is an alarm or something?

Its not a standard part on an production US bike. So, what does it connect to?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Location is alaska but any chance its a euro bike and that unit is an alarm or something?

Its not a standard part on an production US bike. So, what does it connect to?

Well...he's way up there in Alaska so maybe it's for a high powered, subsonic elk or bear whistle! :p
It's prolly a US bike. There are heavier gauge wires on the plug that you prolly wouldn't need with an anti-theft/alarm so my first guess is a heated grips controller...:) The unit shouldn't smoke if it's fused.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well...he's way up there in Alaska so maybe it's for a high powered, subsonic elk or bear whistle! :p
It's prolly a US bike. There are heavier gauge wires on the plug that you prolly wouldn't need with an anti-theft/alarm so my first guess is a heated grips controller...:) The unit shouldn't smoke if it's fused.

Agreed its over kill gauge wise. Its a well made harness but I've never seen that module. Time will tell i guess.

As for smoke, ive seen allot of things cook while the fuse comes out unscathed, so it can haplen depending on the load it presents during self destruction. Just depends how it all goes dow, but ya, ideally it should be fuse....

Jake06

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I think they used it for the aftermarket Hid's that are installed. The box isn't connected to anything so I have no clue what purpose it has, I thought it could be some type of relay at first but it sure doesn't look like one. This is my friends bike. We were looking into the headlight wiring because they quit working when he dropped it last summer and found this un-connected (on the throttle side fairing). It can only plug in one way but started smoking when we fired up the bike.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Small black box. Undocumented, no markings, overbuilt and prone to failure. Can only be..the government!

What did your friend say he does for a living? Blah

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At this point I would physically track the wires to see where they go.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I think they used it for the aftermarket Hid's that are installed. The box isn't connected to anything so I have no clue what purpose it has, I thought it could be some type of relay at first but it sure doesn't look like one. This is my friends bike. We were looking into the headlight wiring because they quit working when he dropped it last summer and found this un-connected (on the throttle side fairing). It can only plug in one way but started smoking when we fired up the bike.

i had 2 of those melt on me . yours looks good outside but if it was smoking ,the inside of the box might be fried.its a hi/low beam controller that moves your hid bulb up and down . the third set i got under warranty i took apart ,and put heavy duty wiring in . i'd look into getting a better hid kit from the retrofitsource or order another harness from vvme.com for about 10$

Jake06

Reaction score
Visit site
i had 2 of those melt on me . yours looks good outside but if it was smoking ,the inside of the box might be fried.its a hi/low beam controller that moves your hid bulb up and down . the third set i got under warranty i took apart ,and put heavy duty wiring in . i'd look into getting a better hid kit from the retrofitsource or order another harness from vvme.com for about 10$

Thank you!