End of the Season

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it's snowing here in Chicagoland. I guess our season is officially over. Unless you have heated gear. I'm going to wrap my baby up in the garage and wait until next spring.

And you peeps who live year round in warm climates don't have to rub it in!! Blah We have "seasons" BlahBlah

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Get yourself some heated gear, after you do, you will be saying I should have gotten this years ago. It's that good.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We have seasons down here (just not as extreme) :)

We just don't get the white stuff, frost occasionally..

And, as Vegas rider posted, invest in some heated gear, its well worth it.

I do wear my heated gear a couple times a year.

On several road trips to Ga and Tenn, it was in the 30'sF when we left for Florida (riding).
Get on the interstate at 80 MPH, I'd guess the wind chill was well under 0 degrees.
Turn on the vest/gloves, nice and comfy!!

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a fair weather rider and the cagers around here would probably freak out if they saw a motorcycle in the winter. It's hard enough in the warm weather months to make them aware. Icy roads would make me nervous on two wheels. You folks enjoy and ride safe!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I put mine away two weeks ago. I like driving my car and truck so it's not a big deal. I got about seven month of weekend riding in this year just under 5000 miles, great times. Beside it's almost snowmobile season.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a fair weather rider and the cagers around here would probably freak out if they saw a motorcycle in the winter. It's hard enough in the warm weather months to make them aware. Icy roads would make me nervous on two wheels. You folks enjoy and ride safe!

Agreed FULLY there, ice on the road, I'm on 4 wheels...

And I don't have to ride, the bike is pleasure only, so if its pouring outside, the cage comes out.

But with our "season" down here in full swing, its also our dry season and rain is virtually nill. Out of state cagers is our "ice on the road", very dangerous...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Agreed, motorcycle awareness in cold weather climates become nonexistent during the winter. Not only do you have to pay attention, your riding technique must adapt to the conditions. For one there are no such thing as warm tires when it's well below freezing, etc.

but out on the other hand, remember after a long layoff of not riding for several months or more, you have lost your riding skills in a way that you are more use to applying skills that may be towards driving a car, which can have detrimental consequences. Just remembe, a refresher training course or at the minimum several hours of practice on an open parking lot is highly recommended. Statistically, there is a reason why the highest number of motorcycle crashes are during the months of March and April. It's from all these riders who are coming off a long layoff, they are simply mentally and physically not prepared to ride. Many think they can just hope on their bikes and ride like they've been on their bike from last night. They are mistaken.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Otherwise called "snowbird season"? LOL
It's why my son (who lives in Ft. Myers) sold his bike. He said they scared the 5hit outta him!

Yepper, "Snowbirds" they are!

Very survivable, just ride like your invisible.

36 seasons down here riding, short of my old KLR 250, the FZ is best for surviving the "jungle"! (and of course my favorite bike!).