Engine cut off on freeway

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
no need to be like that guy..im just trying to make sure all of my bases are covered, before i do any unnecessary modifications..i am pretty sure splicing the kill switch will fix it from what everyone has described i just need the time to do it..ill try the fix and get back with yall..

I wasn't trying to come across being nasty, if it did I apoligize. Motogiro and myself gave the most likely reason for you your problem however, per your posts, its still happening without trying any of the fixes... Making a jumper cable (post #33) will not modify the bike what so ever and can be removed. A new switch can be replaced if needed/wanted once its determined to be your problem. Yes, it will take some time to make a jumper cable and then to install it. I don't know have any other recomendations/ideas. The shop might be be the next stop.. Should it be, please post what the problem actually was so I can learn from it...

Perhaps Alanrim knows the fix. Can you help as the bike's still not running right?

Last edited:

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Think you have covered most of the scenarios, always best to start with the simple stuff.

A visual check of the wiring for obvious kinks that could be a damaged wire. I would also be unplugging all the plugs I could find, checking for corrosion/loose fit including the ecu. I seem to remember someone finding a bit of corrosion on the ecu plug. Just unplugging/plugging back in can be enough to clean any slight corrosion.

Other than that, when the bike is in gear things that can stop the engine are kill switch and sidestand which you have already covered. Fuel starvation sounds unlikely given the symptoms described.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Think you have covered most of the scenarios, always best to start with the simple stuff.

A visual check of the wiring for obvious kinks that could be a damaged wire. I would also be unplugging all the plugs I could find, checking for corrosion/loose fit including the ecu. I seem to remember someone finding a bit of corrosion on the ecu plug. Just unplugging/plugging back in can be enough to clean any slight corrosion.

Other than that, when the bike is in gear things that can stop the engine are kill switch and sidestand which you have already covered. Fuel starvation sounds unlikely given the symptoms described.

If I may add to your suggestion of disconnecting wiring plugs/cleaning etc. While apart, apply dielectric grease to any connector. It'll prevent any moisture/future corrosion.

As a side note, The Gen I, 03-05 FJR's have a multi wire connector under the gas tank that would collect moisture and corrode causing problems.. Mine was still under warranty (acting up) and was brought to the dealer for repair. The TPS had a re-call and was replaced at that time but was not the problem. A throttle sync also didn't help. I've since obtained a "Carbtune" and do my own syncs (getting the throttle bodies sync'ed closer than the shop did).

Yamaha headquarters nor the dealer could find the problem. (The symptoms were different than the above FZ6). I located a post on an FJR forum I frequent with the same problem and sure enough, it was corroded (not real bad but some green inside). Once cleaned, dielectric grease put in the connector, no problems since.. That's been approx 4 years ago.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems to be two people on this one thread with similar problems, both are answering as if responses posted to them. Are you guys responding noticing that it is two different posters?

Yes, I'm aware there are two posters on this thread with similar problems.
I think there were fixes suggested. But no responses to eliminating the problem. The original OP was S107. Maybe S107 fixed the problem. Haven't heard from the OP.

There are so many variables that can cause a shut down and I think all the bases have been more of less covered for primary eliminations.
Let's see what happen....:thumbup:

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
Havent tried the kill switch loop yet. Havent really had a chance to work on the bike lately, socal has been getting slammed with rain. Anyway I brought the bike out to work today with no problem. I was doing street / freeway riding. I will clean / grease all connections i can find tomorrow. Can I use electric contact cleaner on the connections?

I did get some help from local mech at dealership. He told me to spray the ignition hole with wd40 as well as kill switch housing. It felt good to ride again but it sucks just knowing the engine could may cut off at anytime. Just want to say thank you for everyones input. You guys rock! :rockon:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Havent tried the kill switch loop yet. Havent really had a chance to work on the bike lately, socal has been getting slammed with rain. Anyway I brought the bike out to work today with no problem. I was doing street / freeway riding. I will clean / grease all connections i can find tomorrow. Can I use electric contact cleaner on the connections?

I did get some help from local mech at dealership. He told me to spray the ignition hole with wd40 as well as kill switch housing. It felt good to ride again but it sucks just knowing the engine could may cut off at anytime. Just want to say thank you for everyones input. You guys rock! :rockon:

Some of the electrical contact cleaners are very aggresive towards plastic and will melt them. An old tooth brush, and WD/40/liquid wrench and an air compressor takes care of most connectors. If a connector is really bad it may be green and need scrapping (be gentle) with a small flat screwdriver or dental pick.

**If you think the connector is hot, disconnect the battery so you don't short out anything...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the help..i have never take apart the killswitch before..it was much easier than i thought it was..

You're welcome! There are so many great folks on the forum and we all work together to help out our forum family. Scott is always in here helping. And there are so many that I'm not mentioning.
Don't worry , you'll be sharing life experience here also!
Happy Motoring! Be Safe!

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
It was the kill switch. Been riding the past week with no problems. Last night It cuts off again and wont start for over an hour. Im stuck at a gas station and start pulling things apart. I hear a clicking from near the fuel pump relay. I start moving the Switch housing and keep hearing the clicking. BAM Problem located. Pulled that sob out and jumped the wires. PROBLEM SOLVED. Moto you rock hard bro! :rockon: Thanks to everyone for all the input. IM SO FREAKIN EXCITED! thanks again guys!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It was the kill switch. Been riding the past week with no problems. Last night It cuts off again and wont start for over an hour. Im stuck at a gas station and start pulling things apart. I hear a clicking from near the fuel pump relay. I start moving the Switch housing and keep hearing the clicking. BAM Problem located. Pulled that sob out and jumped the wires. PROBLEM SOLVED. Moto you rock hard bro! :rockon: Thanks to everyone for all the input. IM SO FREAKIN EXCITED! thanks again guys!

Thanks man but I'm not the only one who helped and there were lots of members pointing in the same direction. They deserve thanks and they also rock hard!

You deserve a pat on the back because you solved the problem. Some people have never had to do repairs and it sometimes takes courage in unfamiliar territories. So good on you for getting the bike going again! :rockon:

This is an awesome forum with so many great people willing to help as well as people asking for help and getting the problem solved. :rockon:

Treetop327

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2006 has been doing this more and more over the last year. I've failed to diagnose it so far. When it cuts out, I've tried stand up then down -- never fixed it. Key on and off or kill switch toggle a few times usually does it. Just hot wired the kill switch...seems to be working. Thanks.

Last edited: