Engine Rattle

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Get a long wooden dowel, sadly toilet plunger size and length is about right. Place one end in your ear (rounded clean end) and the other move all about the bike trying to target the loud spot.

I have a 24" screw driver with a plastic handle that works good too. Or the REAL tool is a stethoscope. Grab one at Harbor Freight.

Also, if your real concerned, drain the oil and look through the sediement in the pan. If supper paranoid; do this.....
http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...-you-preach-cutting-open-your-oil-filter.html

I can't tell anything from that video. Q - What is your OCI and what oil is in it now? Is it due for an OC?

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
Could be wrong, but sounds like timing chain tensioner.

How serious of a problem/easy of a fix is that?

Get a long wooden dowel, sadly toilet plunger size and length is about right. Place one end in your ear (rounded clean end) and the other move all about the bike trying to target the loud spot.

I have a 24" screw driver with a plastic handle that works good too. Or the REAL tool is a stethoscope. Grab one at Harbor Freight.

Also, if your real concerned, drain the oil and look through the sediement in the pan. If supper paranoid; do this.....
http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...-you-preach-cutting-open-your-oil-filter.html

I can't tell anything from that video. Q - What is your OCI and what oil is in it now? Is it due for an OC?

I just changed the oil at the end of April. Valvoline, probably 10w30, not sure.

Extra info: Bike is an 04, 63xx miles on it, allegedly well maintained by POs.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is a little nosier than most but I don't hear anything not normal.

The oil you put in, Valvoline, is it "Motorcycle Specific" oil? MC specific oil holds up much better as the transmission uses the same oil and the meshing gears are much harder on the oil.

I'd also move up a grade to 10w40 at the very least. That should quiet things down some and provide the protection your engine needs... Semi synthetic or full synthetic, even better...

Valvoline.com > Products > Valvoline > Motorcycle ATV Oil Valvoline > Valvoline® 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What is this? This is the 3rd post I've seen today where it seems to me there is a cam chain noise/ issue!

Sounds like the cam chain to me.

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
It is a little nosier than most but I don't hear anything not normal.

The oil you put in, Valvoline, is it "Motorcycle Specific" oil? MC specific oil holds up much better as the transmission uses the same oil and the meshing gears are much harder on the oil.

I'd also move up a grade to 10w40 at the very least. That should quiet things down some and provide the protection your engine needs... Semi synthetic or full synthetic, even better...

Valvoline.com > Products > Valvoline > Motorcycle ATV Oil Valvoline > Valvoline® 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil

I didn't get the Motorcycle specific. Never used it with my old bike and had no issues, but I'll see about changing the oil again maybe. Not that difficult of a fix.

What is this? This is the 3rd post I've seen today where it seems to me there is a cam chain noise/ issue!

Sounds like the cam chain to me.

Is there something that could trigger this? Can I still ride around without worrying about a catastrophe?

Only thing other than an oil change that's been done is my local shop gave me a new chain with my tire change.

norcalwelder

Reaction score
Visit site
I have chased a rattle for many months till I found the answer, or answers. One really simple fix that will cause a noticeable ticking noise is over filling your oil. After a ride when I want to check the oil, I will let it sit for 30 minutes before checking the oil. Oil expands somewhat with heat, but expansion is mostly caused by entrapped air which is why I like to let it warm up. Another cause of a ticking noise is actually a misfire. Have you noticed a drop in idle RPM or gas mileage? An easy to find a misfiring cylinder is to start the bike up and let it idle for a good five minutes and then shut down. Immediately after shutting down, run the non writing end of a cheap pen down the header near the engine block. Run back and forth every few seconds melting a little streak on each one of the headers and the misfiring cylinder will quickly stop melting a streak on itself while the others still do.

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
Can I ride this without doing damage? I need it functioning for a road trip next week. I've got a mechanic around here that does good work, but he's a bit away.

I'll try these tests to narrow it down for him, but I really don't have a ton of time to dick around with this unfortunately.

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, are people factoring in the lack of sound in a cold engine? Maybe changing coolant too would help?

I'm probably gonna ride it tonight & try the pen trick unless riding is a bad idea.

norcalwelder

Reaction score
Visit site
Riding it shouldn't be a problem, I don't really hear any gross mechanical pre explosion noises to be honest in your video. Warm verses cold is a good thing to home in on, how long since you changed spark plugs? I have had one start misfiring once it was hot, ran great when it was cold.

I would definitely check that oil level though, and definitely think about putting some good oil in there, motorcycle specific for sure. 10W30 is pretty light, especially for warm weather. 10W40 is a great oil for our bikes. W30 is going to run thinner at operating temp than W40 which would cause more mechanical noise to be heard. I would also suggest following up on the suggestions that have been made about using a dole or sock extension to listen for a specific noise.

The cam tensioner is a possiblity, I have changed mine as well as my cam chain and guides looking for the cause of my ticking noise. I fixed one ticking noise and it was replaced with the mis firing so it was a very annoying trouble shoot. Focus on the simple first, all cylinders firing and oil level correct and of the right type.

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, updates from tonight's ride:

Pulling in the clutch reduces the rattle

The temp gauge was hitting 4 bars when idling after about 30 minutes of stop and go.

There could be too much oil. went up a bit past the top line when I checked.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On my bike I can hear a slight (you have to listen pretty hard) noise change when pulling in the clutch. When the clutch is pulled in your literally stopping one of two transmission from spinning.

Besides bearings in the gear case there are some on the shaft the clutch assembly rides on. It is possible one of these bearings has failed.

One runs shaft is directly gear driven by the engine, the other, the clutch connects the two.

One member just had a bearing fail that taps into the actual aluminum clutch outer housing plate(It apparently sat for a long time in humid weather and rusted internally).

If looking thru the oil filler hole and pulling the clutch lever, you can see that plate moving outward when the clutch is pulled.

At least accesss to the clutch is directly under that round cover. As sgteady as your noise is, I suspect its something

As you can see by the picture/link, there's several bearing to check on:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2004 FZ6 - FZ600SS CLUTCH Diagram

Last edited:

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
On my bike I can hear a slight (you have to listen pretty hard) noise change when pulling in the clutch. When the clutch is pulled in your literally stopping one of two transmission from spinning.

Besides bearings in the gear case there are some on the shaft the clutch assembly rides on. It is possible one of these bearings has failed.

One runs shaft is directly gear driven by the engine, the other, the clutch connects the two.

One member just had a bearing fail that taps into the actual aluminum clutch outer housing plate(It apparently sat for a long time in humid weather and rusted internally).

If looking thru the oil filler hole and pulling the clutch lever, you can see that plate moving outward when the clutch is pulled.

At least accesss to the clutch is directly under that round cover. As sgteady as your noise is, I suspect its something

As you can see by the picture/link, there's several bearing to check on:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2004 FZ6 - FZ600SS CLUTCH Diagram

I've never done any sort of tinkering with an engine before, so we're getting into new territory here. You're saying just take the side cover off on the Right side of the engine, and I'll be able to tell if something's wrong in there?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never done any sort of tinkering with an engine before, so we're getting into new territory here. You're saying just take the side cover off on the Right side of the engine, and I'll be able to tell if something's wrong in there?

The clutch is under the round cover HOWEVER, if you've never dove into an engine, like any engine, you need some at least basic experiance. The clutch basket itself has some marks that MUST be lined up, the clutch actuation rod goes in a certain way.

With the cover off (not hard to do), depending on if its a main clutch bearing, the clutch could have significant play in it.

It may very well be under the clutch plates, etc.

I'd suggest finding somone with some experiance with engines, and a shop manual for the bike, you could easily get in way over your head...

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I'm gonna change fluids, tighten bolts, etc & if the noise is still there I'll try to take it in to my mechanic and see what he can do. I don't know anyone too mechanical personally.

I can live with the noise if it's not a serious issue...maybe take it apart myself post-season.