Exhaust for 05?

Nolift911

Reaction score
Visit site
Searched...but have a few questions on pipes.

Thinking about the Leo's but sounds like some folks get rough idle or lots of noise on decel without a CO mod?

On the other hand it looks like power wise the stock map is the way to go?

Has anyone installed pipes - Leo or other that they are disappointed with?

This mod while pricey does seem to shed weight and weight = HP even little weight loss.

Sound is good the stock pipes are pretty week and this seems to fit the bill.

Does anyone know of a place to get the Leo's in Titanium at a good price?

Thanks -

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
Searched...but have a few questions on pipes.

Thinking about the Leo's but sounds like some folks get rough idle or lots of noise on decel without a CO mod?

On the other hand it looks like power wise the stock map is the way to go?

Has anyone installed pipes - Leo or other that they are disappointed with?

This mod while pricey does seem to shed weight and weight = HP even little weight loss.

Sound is good the stock pipes are pretty week and this seems to fit the bill.

Does anyone know of a place to get the Leo's in Titanium at a good price?

Thanks -

You should search for exhaust, there's a ton of info on the Leo's, Two Brothers and Scorpions. Bottom line is that you shouldn't really expect any performance gains here, nothing noticeable at least. Do it for the sound and/or the experience of installing them.

Got my Leo's from motorcycle-superstore.com. They don't have the Titaniums, but Pipecity does. Haven't noticed anything annoying on decel or idle. TB has a lot of popping I hear, but most owners end up liking it.

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
I put the m4 exhaust on my old bike. I did feel a performance increase, the stock exhaust was very restrictive. It also got rid of that sewing machine sound.

OCPILOT

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my Leo's from starcycleusa back in Jan. and I got a smoking deal of $365 with no tax and no shipping. They where on a closeout price. I love them though they sound great well worth doing makes it sound like a whole new bike.

Nolift911

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes good info thanks - and I did search. I am trying to gauge if a tune is in order after pipes or necessary - in that if you don't if hurts performance, idles rough or high etc...

That is what I was really getting at - is this plug and play or do some pipes require a dyno tune to run properly -

bigolkep

Reaction score
Visit site
I drilled 3/4" holes in my stock exhaust and it gave it a little more sound, and it did help a bit with the decel. I noticed a big different the 1st time I got on the bike after I drilled those holes. However, I dont think it made a huge difference because I seemed to have gotten use to the difference very quickly. But that 1st ride was much different in a good way.

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
It's plug and play. What you need to remember to do is unplug the battery before you install it, then plug it in afterwards. This dumps the cpu's memory and lets the bike readjust to its new exhaust flow. I had a higher rpm after I got the new exhaust in, it's evened out in the days since, now back to 1000rpm where it was before.

It doesn't need a dyno testing or tuning, if you get a power commander then it might be advantageous, though not strictly necessary.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
If you do the cat-elim pipe you will get lumpy idle. That's just the way it is. However, I love that sound. The thing does pop on decel a bit, but I also have the PC3 installed.
The Leos are the only exhaust found to make any performace gain (as long as the cat-elim is installed) on a stock bike.
My idle bouces between 1200-1350. They are loud, light, and look amazing.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want a smooth idle keep the cat in. It's the elimination of the converter that causes the lumpy idle.

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
If you want a smooth idle keep the cat in. It's the elimination of the converter that causes the lumpy idle.

That's weird. Mine was off for a bit but it corrected after a 20 minute ride. Did you disconnect the battery so the bike could remap?

Also, I very rarely get a pop on decel, in fact I can only say I've heard it once for certain and it was when the bike was completely cold with heavy engine braking in first.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
That's weird. Mine was off for a bit but it corrected after a 20 minute ride. Did you disconnect the battery so the bike could remap?

Also, I very rarely get a pop on decel, in fact I can only say I've heard it once for certain and it was when the bike was completely cold with heavy engine braking in first.

I also have a K&N with a PC3. Are you running the same map?

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
I also have a K&N with a PC3. Are you running the same map?

Bike is stock except for the exhaust, no PC or juicebox, sorry I missed that part of your post.

Random chance, but on my last bike I once had it serviced and then ended up with an idle that was 50% higher than it should have been. The tank was put back on improperly and was pinching a cable. Not sure if that's even possible on this bike, but it's a thought.

Nolift911

Reaction score
Visit site

Didn't know this was applicable to an 05 with no O2?

Mine is an 05...understand it will not get lumpy without a CAT but there go the gains with it back on...

Anyone else?

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I am pretty sure Wolfman got some noticeable gains with his Two Bro's properly tuned to his bike with a PC3, from memory it was something like 8hp or so?
I'm not sure but I have a feeling this was without any of the silencers in though.

The power gain without spending money won't be huge but changing to an aftermarket exhaust in my experience makes the bike run much smoother, and just generally have alot more character. I got a pair of M4's and unfortunately work till midnight quite often so I have had issues with the sound levels, especially as I ride past a police station on the way home so will be easily targetted if I attract the wrong kind of attention.
I got some tips fabricated that helped a bit, but got annoyed that they destroyed the wonderful sound of the exhaust and have since put the stock back on while I get something a bit more appropriate fitted.

As far as pricing, you really need to look around, prices vary wildly depending on the seller, and you might find the best price for the exhaust is vastly different than the best delivered price. Especially if exchange rates are a consideration.