Exhaust freak out

RAM2005

Reaction score
Visit site
I just took my stock exhaust off my 05 fz6 and got a devil after market exhaust that was originally equipped to a GSX-R 600. Is there any way to make it fit to my motorcycle I didn't know if you can take the exhaust apart to make it fit

View attachment 48884

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just took my stock exhaust off my 05 fz6 and got a devil after market exhaust that was originally equipped to a GSX-R 600. Is there any way to make it fit to my motorcycle I didn't know if you can take the exhaust apart to make it fit

View attachment 48884

You can make anything fit with enough cutting, welding, fabricating and brain power.

Unless you have a fair amount of metal working tools and know how to use them, making you "new" system fit where the stock muffler was will be an "involved project" to say the least.. You'll also likely need some pre-bent muffler pipes, a welder, grinder.

Not a project (IMHO) for someone not very versed in manufacturing/ modding from scratch, etc...

RAM2005

Reaction score
Visit site
Can I just bring in the old exhaust and the aftermarket one or do I have to bring my bike in as well for them to make the exhaust fit. And do you think it will be expensive

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can I just bring in the old exhaust and the aftermarket one or do I have to bring my bike in as well for them to make the exhaust fit. And do you think it will be expensive

Bring the whole bike and YES it will be expensive. It's also not going to look very good, since the actual cans you obtained are very long and they're going to be sticking WAY out... unless they actually slice the cans open for you and shorten them.

It would be cheaper (and cleaner) to buy proper exhaust designed for FZ6. I can see doing this yourself for the sake of the project and to be different, but paying someone to make this work on your bike honestly makes no sense to me :don'tknow:

Having said that.. I hope I'm wrong and you find a way to make it work. Good luck!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bring the whole bike and YES it will be expensive. It's also not going to look very good, since the actual cans you obtained are very long and they're going to be sticking WAY out... unless they actually slice the cans open for you and shorten them.

It would be cheaper (and cleaner) to buy proper exhaust designed for FZ6. I can see doing this yourself for the sake of the project and to be different, but paying someone to make this work on your bike honestly makes no sense to me :don'tknow:

Having said that.. I hope I'm wrong and you find a way to make it work. Good luck!

+1, 100% with Erci on all his points.

Unless your doing this yourself and your really good and fully equipped (again with metal tools, welder (TIG or MIG) it'll cost you way more than just buying a set of mufflers for the specific bike... I have most of the equipment and could likely do it but I don't see doing this mod in less than 8-16 hours in labor only...

Sorry, IMHO, I'd post them on Craigslist, get what you can for them, and put it towards mufflers specific for your bike.

Used aftermarket mufflers are for sale all the time here on the forum, check the F/S section often as they don't last long...

Last edited:

FX4210

Reaction score
Visit site
You could look into modding the exhaust to fit on the side.. there have been a couple people who made side exhausts fit. This was to put a new tail end on the bike (r6, r1 or custom). Again thats not going to be easy because the fz6 is going to look silly without the under seat exhaust, so that would have to be dealt with.

EDIT: Just giving an option, I completely agree with the others to sell and get an fz6 specific exhaust.

RAM2005

Reaction score
Visit site
I only spent 100 on them so still thought it would be cheaper to have them custom put in

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say don't give up yet - if you find a little 'mom and pop' muffler shop and are very good at describing the angles, bends and constraints, you should be able to get the work done for relatively cheap. That's only if you're able to take it all apart and map out exactly what you need to do to make the pipes fit. Then take it to the shop, say, I need you to bend this pipe x degrees with a bend radius of y and a length of z. Don't forget you'll need to affix an exhaust hanger (not hard to do) and will want to be avoiding the under seat storage (which makes it hard to fit things).

When I built my pipes, I thought about many ways of doing it. I didn't do it the best way - but I did it the way that I was capable of doing it. It kept it cheap, but allowed for me to do it right later on down the road. I know the bend angles and pipe shape I'll need in the future, when I can get a shop to do the hard fab work for me. Try mocking it up with flex pipe, string, wire, etc? whatever you need to get a good description for the fabricator to do the rest.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I only spent 100 on them so still thought it would be cheaper to have them custom put in

You can often find used Scorpion exhaust (what I have) for $200. they sound great, look great and fit the FZ6 perfectly. Took me about 45 minutes to install mine.

67628d1135674761-scorpion-baffles-blue-fazer600-04.jpg

Chickenz

Big Wide B*****d
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a Scorpion link pipe and fittings direct from Scorpion. I took the Ducati cans apart myself before taking them to a local industrial heaters workshop to have them cut down on an industrial saw to keep them as straight as possible. Once that was done I took them to a pipe welder to have the angled pipes cut off and replaced with straight ones.

After that I removed excess packing, riveted new holes and put the newly shortened cans back on the bike.

Search for my thread "Not your normal slip ons" for pics and more info.

Hope that helps.

Lee.

RAM2005

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you guys for messaging things that help instead of telling me to sell it and get new ones I want a project where I have customized my bike different from others so if you have any tips please help I'm bringing it to a local muffler shop Monday