finding comfort on my FZ6

52pickup

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having a problems with ride comfort on my FZ6. After an hour or so on my commute, I don't want to be on the bike - ever again. My legs cramp cause there is only one position (I'm 53 years old and 275lbs). However, I wonder what others might have done to tweak the system in favor of comfort. Just about everything is stock here except for the raised handle bars and windscreen. What adjustments could I make with suspension that might translate to a more comfy ride? Stiffer? Softer?. I'm a conservative rider so comfort is more important than performance. What can be done about rider position? Any suggestion on how I might dial up some comfort solutions? Thanks in advance! Oh and feel free to bring on the fat jokes...I can take it.;)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'm only a year behind you and have FZ1 bars as the only hardware change between me and the bike.
Mine has knurled pegs, hard mounted but the same locations.

5'11" w 32" inseam. Bike fits me well but I have rotated the levers down a good deal so the imaginary line from my rotator cuff through my hands has my fingers pointed straight out and this is huge for long torso folks as it reduces pinch point in your wrists... You might have to loosen the brake line to obtain desired rotation... But get that fixed so your hands and arms are happy.

Then move the lower levers. Those are also too high and i vant rest as I have to litterally point my toes up.

Mind you the shift rod can only be shorted so much and the shift lever will hit the windowed opening in the rear sets. Make sure to leave some room. The brake; try two nothces down.

So, after that; reshaping the seat would be wise so your hardware isnt part of the fuel cell. $100 at spencers gets new foam and a better shape with less ramp into the tank...

Start there...

Im not a fan of the oem suspension, but new springs and 7.5 wt oil would be a starting place...

52pickup

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks much for the ideas. I'll do what I can...learned a lot as i didn't realize one could adjust lower levels.

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on rotating the foot levers down, and I vary my position between instep-on-the-pegs (which puts your weight on your arse), and ball-of-foot-on-peg (which relieves the weight on your arse). That, and the occasional leg wiggle keeps the blood flowing in the legs, preventing cramp.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This - notice how far the hand Brake lever is rotated down?
Make sure your wrists are not REACHING UP to pull the levers. Your hand should be parallel to your forearm and your Fingers should NOT reaching upwards to operate levers.
attachment.php

Notice the lever is not centered in the window through the rear sets? But it has just enough range of motion to go completely into gear.
Also, there is NOTHING you can do by moving the splines on the transmission. The rear sets are the limiter gating the motion. Leave the lever on the transmission alone.
IMG_20150525_130652_096_zpsgrzralwp.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150525_130652_096C.jpg
    IMG_20150525_130652_096C.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

Pplater

Reaction score
Visit site
This - notice how far the hand Brake lever is rotated down?
Make sure your wrists are not REACHING UP to pull the levers. Your hand should be parallel to your forearm and your Fingers should NOT reaching upwards to operate levers.
attachment.php

Notice the lever is not centered in the window through the rear sets? But it has just enough range of motion to go completely into gear.
Also, there is NOTHING you can do by moving the splines on the transmission. The rear sets are the limiter gating the motion. Leave the lever on the transmission alone.
View attachment 66136

Damn! I noticed those shiny headers :rockon:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm.... Viewing on Mobile device crops the rear sets right out of the pic.

Click to open picture. The rear tire is present!

Thanks... They are due for another beer and polish session! lol

sinistro789

Reaction score
Visit site
final impact, sounds like you have that fizzer kitted out to the max . good job. could you tell me more about your SS pipe?? maybe pics ? is the airbox mod worth doing? can you help bro my post coming up blank, really eager for some feedback

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I put rearsets plates on mine, I find it more comfortable than stock. I however still ride with my the pegs on the balls of my feet or slightly forwards. It's crazy how differences affect different riders completely different.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
final impact, sounds like you have that fizzer kitted out to the max . good job. could you tell me more about your SS pipe?? maybe pics ? is the airbox mod worth doing? can you help bro my post coming up blank, really eager for some feedback

O/T .... But links are in the first post. Pictures scattered after that...

08 FZ6 Condensed Build thread ~Final Impact~

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6' and 170 lbs of skinny, and have ridden on my bike for 12 straight hours save for small breaks in between, and had little more than my knees and butt being a tad sore by the end of the day. You might want to consider the FZ1 handlebar, custom seat, and adjustable pegs. Adjusting your levers to be in line with your shoulders is a great idea and made a big difference for me. Are you a tall or short rider? Certain mods will help certain heights more than others.

Consider tank grip pads for your legs too. Might help alleviate a little bit of the stress on you.

(And of course... I've heard it lots and find it to be true, but exercise helps balance a healthy weight and muscle conditioning, which will make things easier on your joints)

52pickup

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Brother, you made some great points! I'm working on the last bit too cause you're spot on -good muscle tone will always help.