First 100mph+ Ride

murda84

Reaction score
Visit site
Readers digest version, I hit 100 for the first time on the fz6 and it was fun but also pretty crazy.

So background first...this is my second season owning the bike. I took the MSF class, bought my bike in April of 2012 and rode it until November. I took things easy, focused on the basics and tried to not get caught up in the "lets see how fast this thing can go" mentality even though at times it's pretty hard to fight off. I wouldn't say I lugged it around town, but I don't think I ever got past 8k rpm before shifting. Used my time to get a good feeling for how the bike turns, stops, and how people in cars don't see people on bikes. In my opinion I rode extremely gently.

So fast forward...the bike has been out of the basement since the beginning of March and it was the second really nice day of the year so I went out for a spin yesterday. Had no idea where I was going, just took off and looked for some nice backroads. Now that I've had a little experience on the bike, I'm finally getting around to playing with the throttle a bit more and letting the rpm's get above 10k. I'm finally seeing what everyone has talked about with the difference in performance from 6-8k and 10-12k. After riding some awesome roads and getting close to PA (I'm just outside of Baltimore) I found my way back to the highway. I'm cruising at 75 or so minding my business and this Hayabusa comes up behind me. This guy pulls up in the lane next to me, gives me a look, and then flies by. Traffic was very light so I rolled on the throttle and glanced down to see I was at 103 in 5th gear. I only stayed there for 5 or 10 seconds before backing down to 80 or so. I wasn't trying to keep up with him (obviously I couldn't) and he had already practically disappeared from sight, but I guess it just kind of pushed a button in me.

I admit, it was pretty fun and the bike felt so smooth. It was awesome to just tuck under the windscreen and hear the engine churning under me. I can see why people get addicted to speed!

However, I can't really stop thinking about how crazy it is to fly down the road at over 100mph. I'm in an Shoei rf1100 helmet, alpinestars textile jacket, leather gloves, jeans, and boots. Pretty decent gear, but if something crazy happened and I went down I would still be a mangled mess. Even if my helmet did a great job and the jacket and gloves did an ok job, my whole lower body would be f'd. Broken bones, or much worse. Then you, or your surviving next of kin, have to explain to everyone how you thought it was smart to be a human missile and you lost. Then there are the cops. I'm no legal expert, but I'm guessing the consequences for going 40+ over the speed limit are pretty rough. Lose the bike? Lose my license? Go broke paying tickets? **** I think they'd take you jail. How do I know that a cop wasn't heading the opposite way on the divided highway, saw me, pulled a u and is sitting back seeing how fast I'm gonna go. The mirrors are vibrating like crazy...I can't tell who is behind me.

I love riding, and I know it's dangerous, but I guess it's just so easy to forget what could potentially happen while you're having a great time. None of those bad things happened to me, but next time I might not be so lucky. I'm not trying to be a baby about it, and I'm sure I'll try it again, but I can't help but wonder what if...

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Speed is relative to what you are comfortable riding at. The way I feel riding at 60mph is probable the same the way the pros feel riding at 120mph.

Riding fast is normal, don't fret over it. Of course I do recommend being more selective about where you do it, preferable on a track or drag strip or a remote location you are familiar with.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
First off I must commend your self control :thumbup: I think you will enjoy many many years on your bike and not be a statistic.

I'm finally seeing what everyone has talked about with the difference in performance from 6-8k and 10-12k.

That reminded me of my bro who bought a 05 FZ6 and was complaining to me that it lacked passing power on the freeway.....and needed a liter bike. I smiled and told him to downshift a gear or two and then try passing a car again.

I'm no legal expert, but I'm guessing the consequences for going 40+ over the speed limit are pretty rough. Lose the bike? Lose my license? Go broke paying tickets? **** I think they'd take you jail.

spot on. I believe if you are going 20 MPh over the posted speed here they can arrest you and impound your vehicle. Reckless endangerment amongst other charges. Which is not much of a challenge on a bike where you can hit the highest speed limits with ease in 3rd gear.

I love riding, and I know it's dangerous, but I guess it's just so easy to forget what could potentially happen while you're having a great time. None of those bad things happened to me, but next time I might not be so lucky. I'm not trying to be a baby about it, and I'm sure I'll try it again, but I can't help but wonder what if...

I think the MSF drilled that into my head. NEVER ride above your skill level or above the skill level the conditions of the road allows.

Sounds like you are enjoying the purchase! Your review makes me wish it was not pouring cats and dogs today......at least I have a powder day tomorrow morning to look forward too!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I hit 100 just about every time I get on the highway....thats just merging and passing people that make me feel uncomfortable....but 100 is really nothing for this bike....especially in 5th.....I tried to keep up with 2 black busas on the highway a few weekends ago.....where you let off at 103 I pushed quite a bit farther lol...

its good to expand your comfort level because there may come a day where you HAVE to do over 100..
I was being harassed by some jerk in a red Lightning and i kept edging up my speed until at around 110 (him still beside me) i decided it was enough and i dropped it down and went until I didnt see the truck anymore...

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
It is amazing how quick these 600's are. My beginner a couple years ago was a gs500, with a top speed of 103 (and it took a few minutes to get there...lol). Although our bikes can easily go well over 100mph, I generally keep her around 80. I'm not a speed demon by any means...

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
There will be a few times early in your riding where you will want to push some boundaries.

It is a very good thing to keep those thoughts in the front of your mind when you ride: "what if I hit the road at this speed?"... "what if there's a broken down vehicle around that bend?" ... "what if there's a cop car in those bushes?" ... "what if I crashed and became paralysed?" ... "what if I die?".

It may sound grim, but this is the reality you must keep fresh in your mind in order to be sensible out there.

I tend to keep my speed within a range that I would accept the consequences of getting caught (i.e. a small or moderate fine and a few demerit points). This equates to no more than 20 km/h over the speed limit.

I do sometimes push a bit in the twisties but am pretty conservative compared to many. Riding smooth and safe is actually just as much fun as pushing hard in my opinion. You have more mental space to enjoy being outdoors without the fear of getting caught or killed.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I pushed mine going over a concrete, 4 lane, divided bridge (over a river, so no side streets, police, etc). I could easily see 2 miles ahead as well as NO traffic to deal with. 133 MPH (still saved on my Speedohealer), and it was still pulling hard but I was starting to come up on the other side so I backed off.

I generally know where the police run speed traps at, but we do have un-marked (don't look like police cars at all) so in town, I try to keep it under 10 over the speed limit. How fast I get to the speed limit, well, :rolleyes:

Whats really un-expected, I tend to ride much closer to the speed limit as the open Scorps sound fast.

I've been stopped more times on my old Kawasaki KLR 250, zipping around a corner (stock, super quiet exhaust) (no chicken strips at all on those Perallies(SP?), and NEVER (knock on wood) been stopped on the FZ.

murda84

Reaction score
Visit site
It is a very good thing to keep those thoughts in the front of your mind when you ride: "what if I hit the road at this speed?"... "what if there's a broken down vehicle around that bend?" ...

I think about the whole "what's around the bend" thing often. I see other riders whipping around blind corners, and even on roads I'm familiar with I still can't take that chance. Standing the bike up and braking hard on a narrow road seems like it would be a challenge for even experienced riders.

I think one of the biggest things that has help, other than the MSF class, has been the fact that I don't ride with other people. I hardly even know anybody else that rides. It might sound weird, but when I ride by myself I'm not tempted to try and impress anyone or ride to my limits so it's always just a matter of riding at the pace I want to. Having said that, it does get lonely sometimes haha

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in an Shoei rf1100 helmet, alpinestars textile jacket, leather gloves, jeans, and boots. Pretty decent gear, but if something crazy happened and I went down I would still be a mangled mess. Even if my helmet did a great job and the jacket and gloves did an ok job, my whole lower body would be f'd. Broken bones, or much worse. Then you, or your surviving next of kin, have to explain to everyone how you thought it was smart to be a human missile and you lost.

What makes you decide that your lower extremeties are not important that you're out riding in jeans? Sounds you do a pretty good job of gearing up, don't forget your legs! You knees will thank you one day.

Hope you also have good medical and life insurance, just the proper thing to have if you ride a bike.

I agree with Townsend, eleminating your entry and exit points will prevent morons from pulling out in the event you're on a speed record. Having concrete barriers on both sides will eliminate most wildlife from crossing the roadway too.

The drag strip is the ultimate rush, legally racing against another bike, and having the opportunity to use the fancy tools that they provide to race. The light tree, that goes from Red, Yellow, Yellow, yellow and Green and getting your time slips for you and your counter part in front of a live audience.

Last edited by a moderator:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
It is a very good thing to keep those thoughts in the front of your mind when you ride: "what if I hit the road at this speed?"... "what if there's a broken down vehicle around that bend?" ... "what if there's a cop car in those bushes?" ... "what if I crashed and became paralysed?" ... "what if I die?".

It may sound grim, but this is the reality you must keep fresh in your mind in order to be sensible out there.

I'm not so sure I can agree with this. Yes, you need to be aware of the possible consequences, but at the same time focusing too much on what might happen can be just as dangerous as thinking nothing can happen. I do know that at any time something bad might happen, but I can't keep this in front of my mind because if I do I start to get nervous. Being nervous on a bike is a bad thing, you've got to be comfortable or you'll mess up.

My mother thought it would be a good idea to buy a scooter, to go to work and back (she lives in the country). I have ridden with her a couple times, and every time we ride she scares the **** out of me. Not because she's doing something wrong, but because she's scared. A piece of paper started to roll in to the rode about 100 feet in front of her and she nearly wrecked.

I agree you have to know the dangers, but at the same time concentrating too much on them can be just as dangerous as ignoring them.

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not so sure I can agree with this. Yes, you need to be aware of the possible consequences, but at the same time focusing too much on what might happen can be just as dangerous as thinking nothing can happen. I do know that at any time something bad might happen, but I can't keep this in front of my mind because if I do I start to get nervous. Being nervous on a bike is a bad thing, you've got to be comfortable or you'll mess up.

My mother thought it would be a good idea to buy a scooter, to go to work and back (she lives in the country). I have ridden with her a couple times, and every time we ride she scares the **** out of me. Not because she's doing something wrong, but because she's scared. A piece of paper started to roll in to the rode about 100 feet in front of her and she nearly wrecked.

I agree you have to know the dangers, but at the same time concentrating too much on them can be just as dangerous as ignoring them.

Yeah I guess I should have phrased my post better. I wouldn't be literally thinking about nothing else aside from wrecking myself. But at least a few times on every ride, these are healthy thoughts to have.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I topped out my fz6 on a straight stretch of the I17 just after the last exit for some miles after passing by the cop on the speed trap behind me (if he's behind me he's likely not going to be catching up behind me since he didnt light me up already) and there was fencing on both sides. Knocked out 133.

On my fz1 was a little dumber. It was a country road and following some other riders. Just passed a sheriff so opened it up on a straight. Hit 140. I don't like it up there because it starts to get a speed wobble brewing sensation.

Finally just about every time I get on a freeway I hit 100-110. I just like to open up the bike through 3rd gear and coast into traffic at 75

I've always had a little speed demon in me that likes to come out and play. To me it's all about calculated risk. I don't want to die or worse be maimed but I do want to feel alive.

I commend people who have the self restraint to not go "full retard". I have crashed twice both at around 25mph.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I topped out my fz6 on a straight stretch of the I17 just after the last exit for some miles after passing by the cop on the speed trap behind me (if he's behind me he's likely not going to be catching up behind me since he didnt light me up already) and there was fencing on both sides. Knocked out 133.

On my fz1 was a little dumber. It was a country road and following some other riders. Just passed a sheriff so opened it up on a straight. Hit 140. I don't like it up there because it starts to get a speed wobble brewing sensation.

Finally just about every time I get on a freeway I hit 100-110. I just like to open up the bike through 3rd gear and coast into traffic at 75

I've always had a little speed demon in me that likes to come out and play. To me it's all about calculated risk. I don't want to die or worse be maimed but I do want to feel alive.

I commend people who have the self restraint to not go "full retard". I have crashed twice both at around 25mph.

I'm kinda surprised the FZ1 got squirrly at that speed.

My old 2000 ZRX 1100 did about 140MPH years ago (way out in the country on a very long straight road) and my old 04 FJR, (on the interstate, I75) did 145 MPH, TWO up, very stable (no side bags)at 8k RPM's, wasn't at red line yet (9K RPM's) about two years ago for a very short lets see what it'll do(again, very straight, I could see way ahead for traffic, critters, etc).

That's been the fastest I've ever been, really no need to do that again, its not worth the potential pitfalls.

That's somewhat the reason I have ONLY the FZ6 now. I can afford any bike I want, but the FZ6, IMHO, is a great all around bike. Looks good, easy maintainance, super flickable, will get up and go, but, you know it. LOVE the sound too (the ONLY bike I've ever kept aftermarket pipes on).

She's a definite keeper... :Sport:

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i've had high speed wobbles before (usually once you get over 100), but it was because the wheel wasn't balanced properly

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Traffic was very light so I rolled on the throttle and glanced down to see I was at 103 in 5th gear. I only stayed there for 5 or 10 seconds before backing down to 80 or so.

Don't mean to be a downer, but unless you're running a Speedohealer, you still haven't actually hit the century mark! Stock speedometer is generally 7-8% high. Next time, if there is a next time, aim for 109 just to be sure! :rockon:

murda84

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha I just read that other thread about the speedo error and I thought oh jesus

you-went-full-retard-never-go-full-.jpg

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
think ~130 according to the speedo is the most I've hit on my naked fz6, the wind is pretty strong above 100

not on a public road of course

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I've gone full 'tard a couple of times. Last one had some extra 'tard on in. Then I took my gear off, checked on my sleeping child, laid next to my wife in bed and thought... never again. I hope I can keep that promise.

Mahayama

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my Fazer in December, 2012, and rode every chance that weather here in Colorado permitted. I put 1000 miles on before finally passing 100, and did so without trying - I had a great stretch of two lane, well-maintained highway, zero traffic, excellent visibility, and a wonderful sound coming from that motor beneath me. A quick downward glance at the speedo confirmed my suspicions; I was at 103! In that situation, I was fairly comfortable with my velocity, but around other vehicles, cross streets, and less predictable areas, I tend to limit my excess to simply going through the gears in a hurry, then backing off, and riding timidly! I'm back on the street after 30 years of avoiding all but trail riding, and it's a tremendous rush, just like it was when I started riding as a teenager. But it's no less dangerous, and I'm riding again because I think that I'm older (certainly!) and wiser (possibly), because my children are grown, because gas is expensive, because I wasn't getting many trail riding opportunities, because I'm never too old for a little adventure...