First time rider - '08 FZ6

Rocky529

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought my first bike, a Yamaha FZ6. I researched a lot and found this to be the most comfortable and to suit my needs. It got delivered today because I didn't trust myself driving it home in traffic. I rode it around my neighborhood and am very comfortable with it. I look forward to practicing with it in the days to come... I'm taking my MSF course May 3 and 4 to get my license, I already have my permit. Here are some pics, sorry for the bad lighting...

DSCF0172.jpg
DSCF0173.jpg
DSCF0174.jpg
DSCF0175.jpg
DSCF0176.jpg
DSCF0177.jpg
DSCF0178.jpg

Great choice in both bike AND color!

<------- :D

Welcome to the forums! There's more information here than you'll ever want to know about this bike.

First advice? Get frame sliders and all the gear you can afford.

Good luck on the course!

Great choice in both bike AND color!

<------- :D

Welcome to the forums! There's more information here than you'll ever want to know about this bike.

First advice? Get frame sliders and all the gear you can afford.

Good luck on the course!
Frame sliders are already installed. :thumbup:

Very nice, thanks for sharing and welcome. Another member from New England, pretty soon, you guys will have your own chapter. A lot of members from that area. Looks like you are making all the correct decisions as far as getting familiar with the bike. Kudo's for you having it delivered, if you weren't comfortable riding it home, you certainly made the right decision. Make sure you wear your safety gear. Not only is this sight a great wealth of information for Q's and A's, but it's a great safety oriented forum as well.

BTW, I sold my '05 FZ6 to another member here who is in Shrewsbury. Dankatz is south of you. ShinNH, Reiobard and his wife Keira and myself are all here in NH. We want to plan a meet later in the summer so keep an eye out for the event.

Take care!!

yep, I'm right here in Newton, not too far. I'm hoping to go for a quick ride in the AM tomorrow.
Dani

Hi! I'm so happy for you. Just think of all the fun you're going to have on that engine. I like FZ6inNH's point on gear, because protection is good!

You live in USA? Then you want to look left, right and left alot. If you do that, you'll be okay! Left, right, left...left, right, left...left, right, left...

Claud says left, center, right. I say left, right, left...but center is good too.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Very nice, thanks for sharing and welcome. Another member from New England, pretty soon, you guys will have your own chapter. A lot of members from that area. Looks like you are making all the correct decisions as far as getting familiar with the bike. Kudo's for you having it delivered, if you weren't comfortable riding it home, you certainly made the right decision. Make sure you wear your safety gear. Not only is this sight a great wealth of information for Q's and A's, but it's a great safety oriented forum as well.
+ a Big 1 from me.

Welcome to the site. Good luck with the MSF. Safe practice till then.

Nelly

Its probably the light but your chain looks like it is a bit dry. Out of the case the chain only has its manufacturing grease on it. Lube it up to make those gear changes easier and last longer.

Last edited:
Its probably the light but your chain looks like it is a bit dry. Out of the case the chain only has its manufacturing grease on it. Lube it up to make those gear changes easier and last longer.

Nelly, his is just like mine... It's a chain wax, very popular brand but the name escapes me at the moment (I think Maxima?). It actually makes the chain look almost white but it is extremely slippery stuff. I can tell the over-did my chain because of the 20 mile oil change and the mess I had to clean up around the filter area! :thumbup:

Protection is number 1 in my book.. I already have my jacket, gloves and helmet. I am a very defensive driver in my Jeep (don't trust anyone, ALWAYS turn head and don't trust mirrors), so I should adapt well I hope.

I have a can of chain lube too that I bought when I bought the bike... I'm going to go out and install a rear fender re-location mod that I bought on E-bay and lube the chain..and get some day time pics! :Sport:

yep, I'm right here in Newton, not too far. I'm hoping to go for a quick ride in the AM tomorrow.
Dani

Dani,
I know you can't go too far from home, but where were you planning on riding and what time? Looking for any company? PM me if interested.

Rocky,
are you interested at all? or waiting for more experience first?

Chuck

Back