Fizzer turned Adventure bike

Jon_PDX

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my sights set on getting a vid camera but had a run of bad luck funds wise, then the Exhaust I never thought I'd buy was up for grabs and walla - video has to wait. As best I can tell i'm pretty spoiled with the roads we have around here but would love to share a video just so everyone can see.

If you remind me I'll bring the GoPro next time.

Now if you want shots of you on your bike, either you'll have to slow down in the corners, or I'll need to speed up :D

Jon...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
2013-07-04
15 min test ride turned to adventure ~120 miles lol

WEB0IMG_20130704_174055_589_zps9bc44a80.jpg

For the first time in 3 years the road at Lolo Pass is OPEN!!! So I thought I'd head to Lost Lake. 12 miles of gravel.. .. ..
WEB1IMG_20130704_175017_528_zpsf713cf81.jpg

WEB3IMG_20130704_175201_075_zpsc983e781.jpg

OK - F that, aint worth it....
WEB2IMG_20130704_175515_939_zpsbfaa083a.jpg

California, this picture is for you!!!! Amazingly - great roads under the powerlines! lol
WEB4IMG_20130704_175926_661_zps8edc5af4.jpg

The valley 25 miles from the Mt - it just looked nice! Black specs be COWS, I waved to them for Jerry! :thumbup:
WEB5IMG_20130704_182425_685_zps5434cd8a.jpg

Adventure bike tire now makes BUBBLES!!! :eek::eek: :(
WEB6IMG_20130704_152858_325_zps7a15b0e9.jpg

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
2013-07-04 Double post.... I'll save it for later....

Done saving - throwing in a random picture! Mt Jefferson as seen from the South side of Mt Hood.
FromHOOD2JEFFERSON_zps69164712.jpg

Last edited:

Jon_PDX

Reaction score
Visit site
Great pictures!

I've never ridden Lolo Pass but hear it's worth doing. I did not realize it was that close. I'll have to add it to my list.

So are you going to replace that tire or plug it and keep using it?

Jon...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As you might expect, I was between a Rock and Hard Place - as a result, it was plugged! Let me say she's tad squirrelly on flat tire!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Got to admire your adventurous spirit, Randy. Horses for courses!

Let me share some true adventure -
As stated this road had been closed for washouts and on the way up I cruise but I'm not haling @ss. There are 3 sections to take major note of; they are either missing the road entirely or are repaired with gravel. In my usual style, a good cruise pace on the way up and faster on the way down as I've surveyed the land. I stand up for the rough bumps and let my legs take some of the jolt as the bike is set pretty firm.
Well on the way down, genius boy forgot the location of the two gravel sections and I entered one at 75mph (screaming holey mother ****** ****) and skidded both tires knocking the speed to 50 over the gravel pit with pot holes whereby I narrowly steered across the tops missing the actual holes but needed to turn on the gravel. This was a huge error on my parts as the shade had deceived me hiding the obvious....

All I can do is laugh at this sh*t as I screwed up, but I just don't panic and that is my savior! Mind you this was at least a full city blocks worth at roughly 45 with a slight bend. It was by all means the craziest exciting moment in some time. The missing section has STOP signs and is narrow. You blow this one and you plummet down the ravine.

I love the versatility of this bike as you can toss it, lean it, hang off the side and truly play with it and it's pretty forgiving. I really need a video as you'd be LYAO off at that little manuvure.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great Day for a Ride to Little Crater Lake!
Temp was warm but cooler under way! Mark, Jon, we have a repeat ride as this is real close to Hi Rocks! just another 15 miles or so!

I must say, Droid HD does NOT do this land mark any justice! The color is rich and beautiful! The Temp, roughly 45F from the aqua duct feeding it.
IMG_20130714_150356_686_zps21d52d93.jpg

IMG_20130714_150840_367_zpsd0705672.jpg

So BLUE!!!!
IMG_20130714_151249_068_zps7330b29d.jpg

IMG_20130714_145653_020_zps55baf8f2.jpg

IMG_20130714_152858_243_zps9dc8dd8e.jpg

IMG_20130714_154346_512_zpsf1240eb6.jpg

IMG_20130714_155424_315_zpsed24a304.jpg

Here is another angle of our previous ride to High Rocks!
IMG_20130714_155908_151_zpsaf00cc7b.jpg

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Crisis needs a bath and no more gravel roads. A wrong turn today had us one a 12 mi out and back and I packed it in at 8 it was so damn dusty. Plus got in a deep gravel slurry and things got dicey for a bit. I think I'm done with gravel adventures for now!

WEBIMG_20130714_145021_731_zps9ea6eca6.jpg

Adventure tire wearing fast! Concluded the S20 has about 2500 miles on it as of this picture for 2013 season.
WEBIMG_20130714_171345_550_zps98d2907c.jpg

Too much clean up - I'm Over it!
WEBIMG_20130714_171353_558_zpsf8002d3f.jpg

Jon_PDX

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice pictures of the lake :D

I know what you mean about gravel, dust, and dirt. My bike came to me covered in it from the previous owner(s) and I think the only way get the bike clean will be to strip it down in the off season and give it a good cleaning.

So does this mean you'll be sticking closer to the pavement from now on? Or at least until you come across the next road that calls your name :D

Was it mostly pavement from High Rocks to the lake? It looks like it from the picture at the lake entrance but I have not been up that way for a long time and don't remember what Abbott Rd/NF58 is like in that area.

Jon...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice pictures of the lake :D

I know what you mean about gravel, dust, and dirt. My bike came to me covered in it from the previous owner(s) and I think the only way get the bike clean will be to strip it down in the off season and give it a good cleaning.

So does this mean you'll be sticking closer to the pavement from now on? Or at least until you come across the next road that calls your name :D

Was it mostly pavement from High Rocks to the lake? It looks like it from the picture at the lake entrance but I have not been up that way for a long time and don't remember what Abbott Rd/NF58 is like in that area.

Jon...

Other than a few short sections its paved all the way from High Rocks to Little Crater Lake so no off road riding is required. I saw an option to go to Timothy which was only 6 mi in (gravel). But there were several cars going too and was I dust bomb following them between 20 and 30mph. Anyway Bike does great on fine gravel but the 1" chunks will have you pretty tense and the nose is all over the place! :rolleyes:

I will say I made haste on that road from Ripple Brooke RS upwards. Was Cookin! :D

Jon_PDX

Reaction score
Visit site
Well then you may find the following rally of interest...

MEGA TSD!!! | Sang-Froid Riding Club

Saturday, 20 July!

The Time Speed Distance rally is back, and this time it’s MEGA!

The rally starts at the historic ZigZag Inn (70162 E. Highway 26, Welches, OR 97067) at 10:00am on July 20th, 2013. First rider out at 11:00am. While details of the course are kept a secret until the day of the rally, riders should expect lots of backroads (200+/- miles), alpine lakes, a small gravel section (7 miles), amazing mountain views, and amateur lawnmower race spectating. An introduction to the TSD rally format will be given at the rider meeting that morning. Come on out and join in the fun and perhaps you will walk away with a trophy.

------

The 7 miles of gravel makes me hesitant so I have no idea if I will be going but wanted to share the info if you had not heard about the rally. These are the same folks that put on the "Alley Sweeper" each year (do a google search) and I've been told there is no charge to participate.

Jon...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Saturday, 20 July!

The rally starts at the historic ZigZag Inn (70162 E. Highway 26, Welches, OR 97067) at 10:00am on July 20th, 2013. First rider out at 11:00am. While details of the course are kept a secret until the day of the rally, riders should expect lots of backroads (200+/- miles), alpine lakes, a small gravel section (7 miles), amazing mountain views, and amateur lawnmower race spectating. An introduction to the TSD rally format will be given at the rider meeting that morning. Come on out and join in the fun and perhaps you will walk away with a trophy.

------

The 7 miles of gravel makes me hesitant so I have no idea if I will be going but wanted to share the info if you had not heard about the rally. These are the same folks that put on the "Alley Sweeper" each year (do a google search) and I've been told there is no charge to participate.

Jon...

I've always wanted a "Mega STD" / TSD lol, how bad can that be! :BLAA:
NOW THAT sounds like FUN!!!!
Bring it on!!! I might just do it. .. .. "riders should expect lots of backroads (200+/- miles), alpine lakes.. .. .." right up my alley. Hopefully its a single file start and someone knows the way! 2/3's of the Roads up there have the same numbers. Just look at the last google directions I posted! lol NF-58 is all over the place!

Thanks Jon.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Saturday, 20 July!

------

Jon...

PS was thinking about this on the way in, 200 miles is right on the edge of FUEL Range. So depending on "where" the course takes people this could be a huge turning point for many if not lead down the mt for fuel or have a stash/crew holding fuel at a check point.

Jon_PDX

Reaction score
Visit site
I kind of wondered about the mileage also. I've been really busy so I've not had a chance to email them to ask about that. But my best guess is there will be places along the route to fuel up since I'd be surprised if the lawnmower races will be in the woods.

Jon...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I emailed them:
Randy wrote:
Hi I live in these parts and would like more information about registration, requirements, equipment, fuel stops and anything not shared in this link.

Thanks in advance,

REPLY:

Hi Randy,
All the details will be handed out and discussed at the ZigZag (70162 E. Highway 26, Welches, OR 97067) on Saturday morning, so as long as you're there by about 10am, you'll be good to go. Thanks, hope to see you out there!
Becky

=====================================

Looks to rather warm Sat @91F could be massive scorch in my black leathers... I may go just to check it out! idk Get your crash bars on Jon!

Jon_PDX

Reaction score
Visit site
It appears from the reply you got that gas should not be an issue. It does sound like fun (minus the 7 miles of gravel).

Regarding the crash bars.....unfortunately they are still in the package. I might try installing them on Friday.

Jon...

Jon_PDX

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks to rather warm Sat @91F could be massive scorch in my black leathers... I may go just to check it out! idk Get your crash bars on Jon!

I most likely will not be going.

Between the predicted heat and the fact that I've been putting off a lot of my "To Do's" the last few weekends, Saturday is looking pretty full at this time.

If you end up going, even if just to check it out, save the info they hand out since it sounds like they have some interesting roads that might be worth riding at another time.

Jon...