Fork Conversion Bearing Chart

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wish I would have known about this about two months ago:

All Balls has a Fork Conversion Bearing Program which allows you to input the bike which you wish to convert the forks (In most of our cases the FZ6) and it spits out which steering bearing you will need to convert to another fork set-up. The Disclaimer states that it is based solely on bearing inner & outer diameters and not stem length so it may not be a direct swap but, at least it gives you an idea of which forks from another bike/manufacturer will be close without having to machine the diameter.

https://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconvertion

Worth a looksy...

What I have determined, while perusing this chart and tearing down my front end prepping for a fork swap is that the outer diameter of the R6 USD top bearing is the same as our FZ6 top bearing, and the lower bearings are exactly the same. What this means is that I can likely use an unmodified R6 steering tube, or possibly have a custom one turned down that includes the length needed. This eliminates having to epoxy or weld split rings into the R6 top clamp, as the bearing nuts and hold down nut would be from the R6 itself.

I have already punched out the outer bearing races (top and bottom) from my FZ6 and will be ordering an All Balls R6 upper and lower bearing set, and I have an R6 lower triple with steering tube on the way. Hopefully this works out.

Sometime this week I will also be inquiring around to local machine shops for cost on turning out a custom steering tube with R6 spec threading and the FZ6 spec length.

What I have determined, while perusing this chart and tearing down my front end prepping for a fork swap is that the outer diameter of the R6 USD top bearing is the same as our FZ6 top bearing, and the lower bearings are exactly the same. What this means is that I can likely use an unmodified R6 steering tube, or possibly have a custom one turned down that includes the length needed. This eliminates having to epoxy or weld split rings into the R6 top clamp, as the bearing nuts and hold down nut would be from the R6 itself.

I have already punched out the outer bearing races (top and bottom) from my FZ6 and will be ordering an All Balls R6 upper and lower bearing set, and I have an R6 lower triple with steering tube on the way. Hopefully this works out.

Sometime this week I will also be inquiring around to local machine shops for cost on turning out a custom steering tube with R6 spec threading and the FZ6 spec length.

I would be interested to see how this turns out with respect to the bearings.

I am off to the shop tomorrow morning to get the stem from a 2009 ZX6R machined to match the FZ. I will post costs in a new thread tomorrow.

I would be interested to see how this turns out with respect to the bearings.

I am off to the shop tomorrow morning to get the stem from a 2009 ZX6R machined to match the FZ. I will post costs in a new thread tomorrow.

Well I have not received the bearings yet, but I did get the lower triple and stem from a 2009 R6. The good news is that this stem is just barely a 1/16th shorter than the FZ6 stem. First glance says that with the bearing swap this will work with no machine work. Bearings due in Friday... pictures to follow.

Well what's the scoop...Slandis.
Does everything line up??? (All Balls bearing kit)
I'm doing the fork swap too, getting ready to put on some 08 R6r forks on to my 06 Fz6. I also ordered the conversion kit from All Balls. But only after I bought an extra lower triple clamp of E-bay to experiment with.
What are your plans for brake rotors and are you going with clipons or bars???

Last edited:
Well what's the scoop...Slandis.
Does everything line up??? (All Balls bearing kit)
I'm doing the fork swap too, getting ready to put on some 08 R6r forks on to my 06 Fz6. I also ordered the conversion kit from All Balls. But only after I bought an extra lower triple clamp of E-bay to experiment with.
What are your plans for brake rotors and are you going with clipons or bars???

Well, I've received a couple different incorrect kits, and have finally ordered directly from All Balls what I believe to be the correct top bearing. If the specs are correct, this will definitely get me bearings that fit the stem off of an 08/09 R6R.. what's left to be seen is how much "height", if any, the bearings add to the head tube profile thus taking away valuable top clamp nut threads. I'll know more in the AM when I install the lower bearing.

This is the kit I ordered from All Balls .....top 99-3540-5 & bottom 99-3538. Is this the set you got??? What front fender will you be using??
All the best on your swap.

Quick update: No pictures yet, but it is confirmed that everything works without any machine work with the All Balls bearings mentioned by Protaper48 combined with a 2008 R6 triple setup.

Quick update: No pictures yet, but it is confirmed that everything works without any machine work with the All Balls bearings mentioned by Protaper48 combined with a 2008 R6 triple setup.

That is great to hear. Would love to see some pictures when you get a chance.

-Scott-

That is great to hear. Would love to see some pictures when you get a chance.

-Scott-

Ask and ye shall receive...

The All Balls top bearing came with some shims to allow you to put underneath the dust boot. I left the shims out, and let the stem bearing nut push the dust boot down a little further than stock to gain the stem threads for the triple nut. Otherwise, it all installs just as the stock FZ6 setup.

Ask and ye shall receive...

The All Balls top bearing came with some shims to allow you to put underneath the dust boot. I left the shims out, and let the stem bearing nut push the dust boot down a little further than stock to gain the stem threads for the triple nut. Otherwise, it all installs just as the stock FZ6 setup.

That is great news. It will save time and money without having to custom machine the steering tube.

Out of curiosity, what did you do about the wheels, brakes, and fender; did you use the R6?

Thank you again!

That is great news. It will save time and money without having to custom machine the steering tube.

Out of curiosity, what did you do about the wheels, brakes, and fender; did you use the R6?

Thank you again!

Setup is as follows:

2008 R6 Triple Clamp/Stem ($100)
2008 R6 USD Forks ($245)
2008 R6 Brake Rotors ($10)
2007 R6 Radial Calipers ($85)
2007 R6 Master Cylinder (Came with calipers)
2007 R6 Front Fender ($20)
2006 R6 Throttle Assembly ($20)
2008 FZ6 Front Wheel/Spacers
2008 FZ6 Front Axle
All Balls Top Bearing 99-3540-5 ($40)
All Balls Bottom Bearing 99-3538 ($30)
2009 CBR1000RR HeliBars Black ($180)

About $730 so far, and I have a few pieces to get still. Could be done cheaper if you knew exactly what you were after, and waited for the right auction/sale.

Still looking for a left-side control unit that is thinner than the FZ6 unit, and I'll likely need to figure out custom throttle cables, because the stock ones are way too long with clip-ons and the FZ1N headlight.

Last edited:
Back