Fork Seal Replacement Need some help!

Martinezmr89

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a Friend who is willing to help me replace me fork Seals.
i have found the new seals.
however i was told i would need fork oil and dampener (damper) screws.
is this all i need and if so how and where do i find these other two things?
These forums are really difficult to navigate through on an ipad so if im in the Wrong area please let me know.
thank you for all of your help!!

You can get fork oil at any motorcycle shop. I believe that the manual says to use a specific Yamaha "01" or equivalent oil. I would recommend 5 to 10w oil, but that is a personal choice. Brand is also a personal choice, maxima, bel-ray, amsoil, they're all good brands. When I changed my seals, I used some Honda 7w oil I already had on hand.

I don't know why you would need new damper rod bolts unless you broke one taking them apart. You will need a heavy duty hex key tool to remove them though. A friend of mine made one out of an old hex key and socket, and we ended up having to use the impact gun to break it loose. Yours might not be that tight, but it helps to have that tool and a second pair of hands.

The most important part of changing fork seals is to treat it like surgery: keep everything CLEAN. Make sure you install the seals and wipers carefully and evenly (here is where a fork seal tool comes in handy) or your new seals won't last long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaha recommends replacing one of the internal bushings. I did because the manual said to do so. I figured it was a $4 part and someone with an engineering degree decided it was a good idea. I remember something about the dampener bolt needing to be replaced (it's an internal screw, not the cap), but the mechanic told me not to worry about it as long as I was careful. A broom handle is soft and stands in for the special tool. Just make sure it's clean and not splintering. I also remembering the haynes manual saying something about not having to do a full tear down if you're just changing seals and oil.

Any yamaha dealer can order them for you. Various places online as well. RonAyers.com for example. Fork oil can help fine tune your suspension, but that's beyond what I can explain off the top of my head.

I also highly recommend the fork seal driver. It made re-installation a snap. And you'll need some way to set the oil level properly. The tolerance was only like a cm3 if I remember correctly.

Is this job expensive to get done at a dealer? is their any advantage in using a heavier grade oil if seeking harder front suspension?

Is this job expensive to get done at a dealer? is their any advantage in using a heavier grade oil if seeking harder front suspension?

Your compression and extension will slow down (get stiffer) with thicker oil.

My local (not a Yamaha dealer) but works on everything, removes the forks and sends them out for seals or rebuilds to a local guy. I don't know what he pays him.

Pulling the forks and delivering them alone would save you a couple of bucks at the dealer...

Several posts mentioned two hours or so...

Last edited:
Back