Fork Seals Are shot...

ShadowChillaGin

Reaction score
Visit site
How much of a task is it to replace? My right is shot and is leaking due to having it cinched down to tight on an 1100 mile trip in the back of the truck :-( lesson learned!!! Anyhow, is it an extremely involved and complicated task? Im pretty bike friendly and have a friend who knows bikes well...What all do I need? I searched around here and couldnt find direct answers......

Thanks guys

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
How much of a task is it to replace? My right is shot and is leaking due to having it cinched down to tight on an 1100 mile trip in the back of the truck :-( lesson learned!!! Anyhow, is it an extremely involved and complicated task? Im pretty bike friendly and have a friend who knows bikes well...What all do I need? I searched around here and couldnt find direct answers......

Thanks guys

Here you go:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/25484-fork-seals.html#post271172

S

Shamus McFeeley

They're not that hard to replace, it helps if you have someone with you. I did mine and it took about 3 hours. You should probably look into the moly impregnated leak proof seals:

Link

Some of the reviews are bad, but that is probably because the people who put them in didn't do it right. Make sure you get a proper seal driver and clean EVERYTHING.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i tried to do mine last year, if you don't have the proper tools it can be a lot harder

i got mine completely disassembled, and cleaned up (i guess better than a garage would do), but I couldn't get the seals to go in, and didn't want to risk damaging the stancions. A seal driver would have made things a lot easier. I used a broomstick to get the damping rod out