Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,
Im having a bitch of a job removing my front axel.
Can you confirm its counter clockwise to undo.
Cheers,

Nelly

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been a while since I had those forks on, but it should be the standard lefty loosy righty tighty. Do you have the pinch bolt loose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been a while since I had those forks on, but it should be the standard lefty loosy righty tighty. Do you have the pinch bolt loose?

Cheers Joe,

Pinch bolt undone, I have lost my socket that I could put the extension bar through. It is stuck like a mofo. My DID chain breaker is the right size and leaves me enough room to get a 19mm spanner on it but that bastard isn't budging. I cant find a plug spanner in town to fit.
I tried the bolt with three locking bolts and that sheared off.
I need to find a socket.

Nelly.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can cover the rotor, maybe try something like wd40 or pb blaster.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I went out and purchased some socket adapters (like this one Bosch 1/2 in. x 2 in. Impact Tough Socket Adapter-ITSA12 - The Home Depot) that allow me to connect sockets to my Makita impact driver. Whenever I have something that is too tight and robust enough to withstand a mild beating, I use the impact driver to do the initial. If you have an impact driver, you should be able to find the adapter.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to use a 1/2 inch threaded rod connector, available cheap from a hardware store etc. It fit right inside the the axle. you can then use a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a 3/4" socket on the connector. :)

shopping

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Solution, I contacted Kevin Casey Junior of KC Motorcycles. He is such a top bloke I asked if he wouldn't mind breaking the bead for me and then I could ride home. So brought the bike down, The guys broke the bead and I road home. Forks now off and draining. Oil completely silver, I suppose that's what happens when its 10 years old. I'm putting 15w oil back in as I always hated the dive from the front end.

Nelly

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Solution, I contacted Kevin Casey Junior of KC Motorcycles. He is such a top bloke I asked if he wouldn't mind breaking the bead for me and then I could ride home. So brought the bike down, The guys broke the bead and I road home. Forks now off and draining. Oil completely silver, I suppose that's what happens when its 10 years old. I'm putting 15w oil back in as I always hated the dive from the front end.

Nelly

You may want to try 10wt, Neil. 15wt is pretty thick.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To late mate its in, but being the intrepid mechanical guru that I am (not) I measured the oil which stated 500ml on the bottle into a jug on my digital scales it weighed 440ml, I then poured water into the empty bottle up to the 500 ml mark and there was only 460 in the jug WTF? so I poured it all in as the bike needs 463ml.
I made a gadget to undo the Axel when I got in using a bolt and three locking nuts. I will let you know after the test ride.
By the way, the left fork leg had only half the oil of the right leg.
I also discovered you can drain the forks from the bottom without the need to remove them from the bike. I removed mine completely and cleaned the legs of any surface debris and rust.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oil completely silver, I suppose that's what happens when its 10 years old.

You know modern auto manufacturers use this stuff for their suspension and its tagged magnetic ride control.
You should sell it; I mean it took 10 years to make it, right?! Blah

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So having put a few hundred km's on the new fork oil I have to say I'm delighted I weigh 82kg and the dive is very much better under hard breaking.
I plesant bi-product I have noticed is that the throttle jerk is not as noticeable. The caveat of course is that I was running stock old oil with only half the amount in one leg.
I'm happy with the change so for me it was well worth doing.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't post bloody pictures, tapatalk crashes every time.