Front Brake Failure need advice

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Im taking the bike to the shop tomorrow but I wanted to get everybodys opinions here before I do.. FYI, I never dealt with brake issues before so bear with me.

Front brake feels mushy. When I apply it, it works BUT at about 10% of what it used to do. I see some oily fluid on the side of the front tire (brake-side of the bike). Same fluid is also on the rotor, same side. There is some on the other side also but much less. I havent looked inside the master cylinder yet but I will and post some pics of the oily stuff later. So, do I have a leak? How serious/common is this?

Bike is 06 and got the brakes checked few months ago. Fluids replaced and all that. When i stopped by today the mechanic guy said It would be good to invest in the steel braided lines. Agree/Disagree?

:eek:

S

Shamus McFeeley

Sounds like you have a bad line or more likely a bad caliper piston seal. Could be the bleeder screw too or the banjo bolt, but if it's on the rotor, probably the seal.

Last edited by a moderator:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you see my post in response to this in the norcal/socal thread? From what you poste above, it sounds like you have a leaking caliper seal. They are easy to replace.

Thy system is simple. You've got the M/C, the lines, the calipers, and the bolts that connect it all. Wipe it off, then squeeze the brake level and put a zip tie on it. Look for leaking fluid.

then replace whatever is leaking.

If I were you I would take everything apart, clean the M/C, put new lines on (just cause its a good mod anyway and your lines are 4 years old), rebuild the calipers (replace the seals if they are the leaking part), and be done with it.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you see my post in response to this in the norcal/socal thread? From what you poste above, it sounds like you have a leaking caliper seal. They are easy to replace.

Thy system is simple. You've got the M/C, the lines, the calipers, and the bolts that connect it all. Wipe it off, then squeeze the brake level and put a zip tie on it. Look for leaking fluid.

then replace whatever is leaking.

If I were you I would take everything apart, clean the M/C, put new lines on (just cause its a good mod anyway and your lines are 4 years old), rebuild the calipers (replace the seals if they are the leaking part), and be done with it.

I did see your post and I wasnt sure if i should be having that conversation on that thread so i opened a new one :D Thanks for the feedback. I will do the zip tie thing tonight. I didnt see any leaks while i messed with the lever today. Is it possible that the whole fluid is leaked?

Last edited:

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From what you posted you have a leak. If you had just had it serviced, take it back because the mechanic probably didn't torque the banjo bolts properly or left out a brass seal washer on the banjo if the oil is on the top side or outside of the caliper. It could be the rubber line but I doubt it since they aren't that old, unless something sharp hit them or they have been damaged. If you got oil on the pads you have to replace the pads.

If it were me, I would download the manual from this site if you haven't already and just disassemble the whole system, clean everything up and inspect the seals and pistons. You can either buy new washers or sand the old ones smooth with some 600 or finer sandpaper. (That's work fine for me), reassemble and use the Permatex synthetic grease to lube the caliper seals, torque all your bolts and you will should be fine.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha recommends replacing brake seals and lines every 2 years. (a bit soon for my taste). There's obviously a leak there, or as stated above someone left a crush washer off (you should be able to see that).

If you top off your master cylinder and add fluid you may be able to pump it up and get some pressure to see what exactly is leaking.

As for braided lines, they are WELL WORTH THE MONEY and costs just slightly more than stock. If you need to replace lines, I would definitly go for them. I have HEL SS lines on front and back, they are solid!!!

If your halfways mechanically inclined and have tools, you can do this repair yourself... If your not comfy with it, bring it to someone who is...