Front brake light switch reassembly?

06fiz600

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay so for a few years now I've had issues with my front brake switch.
I even bought a new one from the dealership last year. A few months later...same thing...intermittent problems lighting up. So, pryed the switch open, cleaned the contacts and all was fine for a while. Now, I took the switch apart again to clean contacts, but the spring fell out along with the other small pieces. These keep corroding and I keep her indoors...
ANYBODY KNOW HOW THESE GO BACK IN?
id love a picture of the switch internals!

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
The microswitch? I, uh... I don't think you're really supposed to try to service them.

It does sound like a connection problem, but have you tried touching the leads together and making sure the brake light seems to work reliably without the switch in the equation? If so, try the switch without the lever, make sure there's not some freaky wear on the lever or something that's not allowing the switch to close fully?

FWIW, I think about every modern Yamaha (at least, maybe other brands) uses the same microswitch. Sure hadn't changed from my '85 XJ.

06fiz600

Reaction score
Visit site
The microswitch? I, uh... I don't think you're really supposed to try to service them.

It does sound like a connection problem, but have you tried touching the leads together and making sure the brake light seems to work reliably without the switch in the equation? If so, try the switch without the lever, make sure there's not some freaky wear on the lever or something that's not allowing the switch to close fully?

FWIW, I think about every modern Yamaha (at least, maybe other brands) uses the same microswitch. Sure hadn't changed from my '85 XJ.

Thanks for the reply,
I cleaned the contacts with success before, but that's definitely the issue. The two halves popped open relatively easily. And that's great to know about yamaha likely keeping the same switch. Thanks

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Contaminants and cleaners make there way in and cause the fungus. Has it ever been pressure washed? That can forces stuff in that that normally doesn't get i there. If you're missing parts - I'd say order up!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on just replacing the switch, maybe a squirt or WD 40 every once in awhiile would help.

I've yet had that switch fail on my old 04 FJR nor my current 07. If pressure cleaning, I would stop that immediatly (at least in that area). While its apart, some dilectric grease should slow down any corrosion (as the original finish is probably gone)

If want to post some pic's of everything up close, we'd likely be able to figure out the order. :thumbup:

Note: If you have aftermarket levers, I'd check and make sure, the brake lever isn't putting undue stress (crooked) on that switch. There have been issues with aftermarker levers NOT RELEASING PRESSURE FULLY(the piston shaft, where it went into the lever, the lever was machined offset some), not machined to Yamaha standards and needed "tweaking" to function as designed..

I'm not prying apart a perfectly good switch (thats not designed to be serviced) and I don't have any extra failed ones, sorry..

Last edited: