Front end pop/clicking

linky0283

Reaction score
Visit site
When I am slowly coming to a stop and I apply the brakes hard and come to a complete stop, sometimes the front pops/clicks. I can't tell if it is coming from the brakes or somewhere on the forks. Has anyone else experienced something like this.
P.s it is a 09 with 13000 miles.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I am slowly coming to a stop and I apply the brakes hard and come to a complete stop, sometimes the front pops/clicks. I can't tell if it is coming from the brakes or somewhere on the forks. Has anyone else experienced something like this.
P.s it is a 09 with 13000 miles.

a) Have you checked your steering head bearing torque? Others have had them need tightening at about your mileage.

b) 13000 miles on an '09! Nice!!!

FZSnake6

Reaction score
Visit site
2 things ... first, the front brake caliper assembly will have a little play in it. just holding the bike and apply the front brakes, as you rock back and forth you should feel a little movement - you can actually see this if you watch the caliper assembly.

second, and likely the culprit - the steering head nut(s) have come loose a bit. I was keeping an eye on a similar issue - it was especially noticeable when I coasted into my drive way with clutch engaged - when I hit the small lip of my drive way I could hear/feel a little knock. Mine only had about 3500 miles on it, but it bounced around at dealerships for 20 months until I bought my '06 last year (brand new!).

remove handlebars and strap them up to the windshield to get access to the triple clamp and steering head. also bit of advice - follow the manual for tightening instructions but don't worry so much about torque'ing to specification - a good squeeze should keep this tight and where it needs to be. again, i recommend referencing the manual here - it tells you how to check for too tight, and too loose.

cheers!!

linky0283

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I took the bike to the dealer for inspection and had them also check the bike for the clicking in the front end. The tech checked the steering bearings and other parts of the front end and said everything was tight. After tighting everything it still clicks. It really only clicks when I'm almost stopped and I apply the front brake hard. I thought for sure it was the steering head bearing. Now I have to make an appointment for them to check into to it further. Has anyone had any similar issues with their bike?

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I am having the same problem. When I was getting new tires I mentioned it to the mechanic. He is also the previous owner of the bike I found out, pretty cool.

He said it's the fork springs clicking. Not super sure if he's right, I'm still going to check my headset tightness soon. Same situation for me at the moment. Never heard anyone around here mention fork springs, but I guess it might be possible.

linky0283

Reaction score
Visit site
What ever it is, it sounds like it's coming from the left side of the forks. I hope it is nothing major. The bike is brand new and I did not expect to have problems already.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought an 06 with 7K on her. I'm getting a clicking that feels like a loose front end/ worn berring/ loose steering nut. Thanks for the confirmation.

MOREY35

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my 05 fz6. Couldnt figure out where it was comming from, eventually figured out it the mount bolt on the side of the engine was loose. I previously installed frame sliders on my bike and didn't tighten the bolts enough. Well i hope its this simple for you! hopefully this helps ya out