Re: Front Sprocket Change

Yeah it sure looks like it is and everyone swears by it. In sixth gear looking at the speeds and rpms it's only a 450rpm or 8km/h difference. Which I think is a non factor and you get all the extra pep. I was just clarifying for the OP who asked how the torque changed.

I just ordered a AFAM one from Bayside today. They said 5-10 business days and it cost me $52.37 taxes in. No shipping needed as I'm going to pick it up. I'm hoping the speedo healer will come at the same time and then I'm in business :cheer:

EDIT: I ordered the AFAM one because I didn't read to much about them being used on our bikes. They seem like high quality stuff and it was only $10 more.

Last edited:

Yeah it sure looks like it is and everyone swears by it. In sixth gear looking at the speeds and rpms it's only a 450rpm or 8km/h difference. Which I think is a non factor and you get all the extra pep. I was just clarifying for the OP who asked how the torque changed.

I just ordered a AFAM one from Bayside today. They said 5-10 business days and it cost me $52.37 taxes in. No shipping needed as I'm going to pick it up. I'm hoping the speedo healer will come at the same time and then I'm in business :cheer:

EDIT: I ordered the AFAM one because I didn't read to much about them being used on our bikes. They seem like high quality stuff and it was only $10 more.

I'm getting an AFAM sprocket from Bayside as well....I haven't ordered it yet as I won't be able to install it for a long time due upcoming surgery on friday.
I'm also ordering a Speedohealer V4.0 :Flash:

Re: -1 sprocket

I went with the vortex sprockets -1 front/ +1 rear (black in color..looks great) and man its awesome! Best mod so far for the $ its a completely different bike,has some grunt now...love it.(I am in east tn. plenty of mtns.&curves).seems to have come up about 1k rpms@cruising speed

Last edited:

Update: I ordered a 15t front sprocket last saturday from our local Yamaha dealer. It is a Sunstar brand (part # 51915), case-hardened chromoly steel sprocket, cost $25.99. I picked it up today and it certainly looks to be very decent quality for the price.
Interestingly, the label indicates that not only does it fit 04 - 08 FZ6's, it also fits the 99 - 05 R6 "with 530 conversion" and the 06 - 08 R6S "with 530 conversion".
Unfortunately, due to my recent back surgery I probably won't be riding any more this year :(, but will certainly be able to install the sprocket in a couple of months and then try it out in the spring.

Back surgery? Dude! So sorry to hear about this! Get well soon!

I was just clarifying for the OP who asked how the torque changed.

I believe you have discovered thrust...it's a gearingthing, not really a torque/power thing in this context. The dyno CURVES will look the same regardless of your gearing (they will however occur at slower traveling speeds).

The bike won't make more torque at the countershaft and I don't think it make more torque at the rear wheel...the bike will simply be geared for better acceleration and less theoretical top speed. THRUST! :D

power = (torque x RPM) / 5252

You say that torque at the wheel is going up, but RPM at the rear wheel is going down too, right? Assuming the ratio is the same, this get's you back to same spot, no?

I'm definitely not an engineer but wouldn't a smaller front ring lower the top speed?

I ride bicycles quite a bit. The small chain ring is the one we use for climbing, not for hammering at top speed. Maybe they're not related...like I said, not an engineer.

I'm definitely not an engineer but wouldn't a smaller front ring lower the top speed?

I ride bicycles quite a bit. The small chain ring is the one we use for climbing, not for hammering at top speed. Maybe they're not related...like I said, not an engineer.

Yes. It will lower your top speed.

My bike is in having a bunch of stuff done right now, and I am putting a 14 tooth sprocket on the front for maximum thrust! Cant wait to get it back to see the result!

Will "theoritically" lower top speed, but with OEM settings, you still have about 1500 revs left to play with at 240km/h in top gear, before the rev limiter cuts in at 12000rpm. So top speed should not be affected in reality....anyway, how often do you ride at 240km/h? i have done it twice in 8500km's on my bike.

I believe you have discovered thrust...it's a gearingthing, not really a torque/power thing in this context. The dyno CURVES will look the same regardless of your gearing (they will however occur at slower traveling speeds).

The bike won't make more torque at the countershaft and I don't think it make more torque at the rear wheel...the bike will simply be geared for better acceleration and less theoretical top speed. THRUST! :D

power = (torque x RPM) / 5252

You say that torque at the wheel is going up, but RPM at the rear wheel is going down too, right? Assuming the ratio is the same, this get's you back to same spot, no?

The actual torque applied at the rear tire which is providing "thrust" is higher than the engines given output at the crankshaft. since we are not changing the transmission those numbers won't change at the countershaft. but because we are changing the final drive it will change. that's why it's called torque multiplication. the gearing allowings one gear to spin at a certain speed which will then cause the other gear (depending on the ratio) to be faster or slower.

if you took an electric motor with a gear that had a 1 ftlbs output spinning at 60rpm (1rpm per second) that had 10 teeth and added another gear with 50 teeth the big gear will be turning at 12rpm (.2rpm sec) but have 5ft lbs at 12rpm. what will have more force at the gear and what will be able to do "more work"? given its at that contant rpm.

in an vehicle, the rpm's are vary all the time and thats why we have a multispeed transmission and final drive. if the 46 ft. lbs at 10000rpm at adaquate to move us from a start then we all could just take off at 10000rpm in 6th (even though its not 1:1). you can't. you'll stall. the friction and weight and everything else requires a lot more force to get moving from a standstill.

I used to work on Locomotives. The traction motors are rated in TE or tractive effort. which was 192000lbs for the newer general electric EVO units. to get started from a standstill the locomotive has to apply its full pulling power to get rolling. but once up to speed all it has to do is counter the frictional forces. thus the traction motor doesnt have to put out as much power.

just like our motorbikes. from a start there is static friction to fight. but once moving there is less "work" needed to be done to keep us moving. thus the next gear in order is of a lower ratio (less torque/higher speed).

Last edited:

Thanks guys !
It's 2pm on Friday afternoon and I was just going to go early when I thought I would read a few posts,wish I hadn't read this one coz now I,m totally confused about this gearing thing and will be thinking about it all night instead of enjoying the Friday night football game :Flip:

J/K :thumbup:

Back surgery? Dude! So sorry to hear about this! Get well soon!

Thanks! The surgery was on Aug 15th, so I've got a few months of recovery ahead of me. It broke my heart to park my Red Rocket for the rest of the year just the day before the surgery.
Mind you, I've now got some really cool Titanium Upgrades bolted onto my lower spine, so I'll be better, stronger, faster....:rockon:

Yes. It will lower your top speed.

I've never got anywhere near my "top speed" and have no desire to do so in my Autumn Years. I'm hoping that a 15t front sprocket will give me a little more 'oomph' at 4000 to 5000 rpm in the higher gears, and the occasional burst of juvenile tire-shredding acceleration through the lower gears when necessary. :D

I just purchased a Yamaha FZ6 (2007) new for my wife and after riding the bike home from the dealership, I realize we absolutely need a gearing change. I’ve owned a 2007 FZ1 and love the 5th/6th gear change to provide a taller gear for touring.

Obviously, that’s not an option for this bike but I would like to consider a sprocket change to REDUCE the power and make a taller (lower RPM) cruse at 65 MPH. This bike buzzes/vibrates from 55 to 65 and I’d like to alleviate this problem along with the high cruising RPM.

Today, the motorcycle reads 48 MPH at 4000 RPM in 6th gear – I’d like to decrease this to 3,000 RPM utilizing a smaller rear or larger front sprocket (or a combination). This would greatly enhance riding from 50 to 65 MPH (remember this is my wife’s motorcycle).

I realize this will impact first gear takeoff but right now I cannot practically ride much past 15 mph in first so we would both welcome a longer first gear.
I seem to have plenty of chain slack for the update but I’m wondering if I should move to a 17 front and a 45 rear (vs. the 16/46 stock combination) to insure stock chain retention?

Has anyone done either of these changes?
Also, any tips to reduce buzz/vibration in the handlebars (besides pooring sand into the bars) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance!

Send your reply to [email protected]

Re: Another sprocket thread but a new question

All i can say is smoother shifts because higher RPM at the same speed.:D

Back