Fuel economy dropped after 40,000 km service

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I just wanted your opinions on whether this sounds normal.

Prior to my 40,000 km service I was getting on average 16 kmpl. My first fill-up after the service showed 13.82 kmpl and since then I've averaged about 14.5 kmpl.

Is this something I should be worried about or would it be normal after a tune-up?

The mileage shouldn't go down, if anything, go up slightly...

Do you know exactly what they did, ie throttle sync, plugs, air filter, etc??? A dirty air filter will lower mileage, a not so good throttle sync would also affect performance.

How well does the bike run, better / worse? Any noticable changes besides mileage?

Something else you may want to check is any excessive brake drag. You should be able to get at least a half spin on the front wheel / rear wheel when raised and spun by hand. If their dragging bad, the rotors will get hot to the touch even when not applying the brakes...

Last edited:
Like Townsends said above, get a list of things done, of course the "things done" list doesn't alway match the "things actually done"

The most notable and easy to fix culprits are:

1) Air Filter
2) Spark Plugs
3) Gas quality
4) Oil type/weight
5) Tire pressure

If my calculations are right.. 32-35mpg seems really low for the FZ6 :confused: Should be 40-45 even if you wring the crap outta it. Do you do exclusively city riding with lots of stop/go and idle time? I know personally I get about 48-50mpg consistantly, but I do almost exclusively highway riding. The worst I've gotten is about 41mpg but that was going a hell of alot faster than normal for alot longer that usual.

Thanks for the replies. I do have a bit of brake drag (a bit more than normal) but nothing to write home about. I have a feeling they forgot to do the throttle sync after the valve adjustment or just didn't do it very well.

I've ordered a Morgan Carbtune so I can take my time to do it myself and make sure it's perfect.

It comes with 5mm and 6mm adapters. Does anyone know what's needed for a 2007 model? I read somewhere a 4mm adaptor is needed?

:EDIT: Just to add, I noticed my throttle idle screw does nothing now, which is why I think a bad sync. How do I set the pressure value correct again? And what should I do with the idle screw that currently does nothing? I'm thinking close the idle screw then open it 3 turns and close throttle adjustment screw #1 and open 3 turns, then sync the others to #1?

Last edited:
Well the carbtune arrived within the delivery time-frame, which I was quite surprised about given the recent air traffic chaos.

So yesterday I had a day off work and spent the morning working on the bike. The TB's were not that far off so I guess the garage did a rough sync after the valve adjustment but port 3 was completely closed which was probably why the idle master was doing nothing.

So I opened up port 3 and turn the idle master right down as far as I could without the engine stalling. I then got everything balanced which also brought the idle back up. I also synced at 4000 rpm and again at idle and tried to get them all pretty close at both.

I also disconnected my battery whilst I lubed my clutch cable and did some other bits to give the ECU a reset.

So after putting everything back together and washing the bike I went out for a ride. I felt at first the vibes actually seemed worse than before especially at higher revs but after a while that disappeared and the vibes felt better than before, I guess that was the ECU reset. The power felt stronger and more linear and much much smoother. I also noticed the engine temp was about 10 degrees or so cooler. So all in all I'm very glad I did it.

I will post back in a couple of weeks as to how this has effected my fuel economy.

Back