Fuel Grade (regular, mid-range or premium)

Fuel Grade

• Regular

Votes: 397 44.1%
  • Mid-range

Votes: 68 7.5%
  • Premium

Votes: 436 48.4%

• Total voters

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been using 91 octane. But the way the gas prices have gone up again, in light of the recent somewhat local Chevron fire. I think it's time to look at alternatives.

It's funny how different gas works in different vehicles. As long as your in spec, it's really up to you to find that medium. I've had vehicles that run well on Chevron, but actually run like crap on Shell. Then I have had vehicles that run well (or hardly noticable)on just about every gas I throw at it.

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, but I won't touch anything but premium on bikes. I wouldn't do it with dirtbikes when I rode them, won't do it with streetbikes. Not to mention... I filled up the other day, from 1 bar left on the gauge to full was 3 gallons. So at roughly $0.20-0.30 difference in gas prices, that's less than a dollar to have the better stuff. I'm actually surprised at how many run regular, but to each their own :)

Mud

Solace

Reaction score
Visit site
I use regular, because the manual says that's all it needs. But Yamaha Canada has come back and said to me "regular with less than 10% ethanol was ok". Gonna have check the ethanol content next time i fill up....may be switching up a grade...

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use regular, because the manual says that's all it needs

Sort of - Yamaha say that is the absolute MINIMUM that can be used.

You only NEED to drink water - but beer/wine/spirits/soft drink taste better!

For all you naysayers that haven't tried a higher grade of fuel - try it and make your mind up.

Cheers,
Rick

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've only run 87 for the 4000 miles I've owned the bike, and average 49 MPG. After reading all of the posts in this thread, I'm going to give the premium a go and see if I notice a difference, either mentally or in the actual numbers.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Best thing about premium is the gas station never runs out.

I always use regular, that's what the engine is engineered for. Runs creamy-dreamy. Once it gets old - like really old - higher octane might help it along in it's wheelchair, but seriously don't waste your money.

Last edited:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I've run 91 for maybe ten tanks, 87 for the rest of them. Never noticed a difference between them.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this;

The energy value is effectively the same between 87 and 91. So you're not making any more real (mental is another story, whatever works for you) power or getting increased fuel economy (I monitor mine every fuel tank, never noticed a difference) by spending the extra money on premium. The only consistent advantage premium has is it's resistance to knocking. The gas is more stable, keeping it from combusting before ignition as easily as 87.

Our bikes do not have knock sensors to tell the computer to retard the timing, if they were knocking on 87, I'm sure we would know about it.

The one advantage I will give to 91 is that some gas stations (very few around here) do not mix it with ethanol, which does yield a gas with slightly higher energy for better performance/fuel economy. As I said above, I've never noticed a real difference.

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
I've run 91 for maybe ten tanks, 87 for the rest of them. Never noticed a difference between them.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this;

The energy value is effectively the same between 87 and 91. So you're not making any more real (mental is another story, whatever works for you) power or getting increased fuel economy (I monitor mine every fuel tank, never noticed a difference) by spending the extra money on premium. The only consistent advantage premium has is it's resistance to knocking. The gas is more stable, keeping it from combusting before ignition as easily as 87.

Our bikes do not have knock sensors to tell the computer to retard the timing, if they were knocking on 87, I'm sure we would know about it.

The one advantage I will give to 91 is that some gas stations (very few around here) do not mix it with ethanol, which does yield a gas with slightly higher energy for better performance/fuel economy. As I said above, I've never noticed a real difference.

it's all about the timming

older bikes were made for regular s1
newer bikes were made for premium s2
You wont notice the difference unless you're taking the bike to the limits.
And the closest to sea level altitude.... the higher octane is preferred.
and remember knocking is not always heard! but is probably there!

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I run premium for a couple reasons. Both the octane and the cleaning agents. When it's convenient I'll get Chevron because it has the techron in it and I like it better than the Nitrogen added Shell gas. AMPM gas I think is crap in general.

Also since prices have dropped down to the low $3 range it's not as bad paying the extra $.50 to $1.00 per tank.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow I am really surprised so many run premium. I always use regular. It might only be $1 per tank but the people saying that must not ride a lot. With the money saved I have made some nice upgrades to make my bike ride better like upgraded fork springs and brake lines for example.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride everyday, well everyday up until about a month ago, (14,000+miles this year) and always use premium. My bike runs like **** on 87 since I haven't had it tuned ( pretty much wide open exhaust, huge intake mod, an big CO adjustments) on regular my bike pings, and diesels like a SOB

Yes on stock bikes prem is probably a waste of money, but in my case it's not. Not to mention Im not concerned about fuel mileage on the bike, or cost of fuel.

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
An eternal debate. I run premie in EVERYTHING, weed wacker, Lawnmower, old Ford grocery getter, EVERYTHING. It can't hurt and it might help. If it gets to the point where I can't afford it, I'll unretire and find a job.
'Penny wise, pound foolish' vs 'a penny saved is a penny earned' is a debate the Romans probably had.
Do what you are comfortable with.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried premium once but the power increase was so dramatic that it scared me so I drained out all the gas. HUGE increase in power, like 3 or 4x the power! Be careful running that stuff! That is why the owners manual recommends 87, they do not want you to know the SECRET because if you do you will have no reason to upgrade to a liter bike!

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried premium once but the power increase was so dramatic that it scared me so I drained out all the gas. HUGE increase in power, like 3 or 4x the power! Be careful running that stuff! That is why the owners manual recommends 87, they do not want you to know the SECRET because if you do you will have no reason to upgrade to a liter bike!

How did I miss this? Funniest comment in days.

gypsycat

Reaction score
Visit site
Like other have mentioned I will run 3-4 cycles of regular followed by 1-2 of premium because premium has lots of engine protecting/cleaning agents in it or so ive been told by my old man and a few engineering/mechanic people.

Also tbh I have never felt a power increase/decrease bike runs fine on either, so I just find my cycling as a means of protecting the engine just a little bit.

Last edited:

mikeshungry

Reaction score
Visit site
How about somebody runs a dyno test to see if theres any difference between 87 and 93? Im not sure how you could do mpg, maybe fill up a tank of each and see which goes farther with a normal route.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How about somebody runs a dyno test to see if theres any difference between 87 and 93? Im not sure how you could do mpg, maybe fill up a tank of each and see which goes farther with a normal route.

When I had my bike dyno'd by a reputable tuner, he said to make sure I ran premium. Although my FZ6 didn't recommend premium my Sv1000s does.

tdbill

Reaction score
Visit site
Knowing what octane actually does, should make choosing a grade a bit easier.... This is a well written article that does a good job explaining this topic:

Premium Gasoline – What Does Premium Fuel Do for Your Car? - Road & Track

If your too lazy to read the whole thing, read the "I hear you knocking, Octane is knock resistance, and Which to choose."

Fwiw, some auto manufacturers recommend regular in the owners manual, but hp ratings for their products were obtained using premium on the dyno...

There are a ton of factors that require higher octane demand, but here are a couple for us warm weather (needlessly using premium :Flip:) guys: (Also should mention AZ premium is 91')

Octane demand is increased by 1 point for every 10^ increase of coolant temp
Octane demand is increased by 1 point for every 20^ increase of ambient temp