Fuel Pump (09 on an 05)

CIrrthum10

Reaction score
Visit site
My fuel pump recently went out so i was searching good ole ebay for some used parts! I found a nice fuel pump off an 09 fz6 with 1500 miles on it for $100. (beats the $450 for new!) It looked the exact same so i purchased it. I pu it in the bike (very easy, like 8 screws and slips right out, then change out pumps, done) It works great! But im wondering if it would change up anything as far as fuel wise from year to year. It sounds more airey than before but that could be cuz my old one was going out/ my imagination/ or the fuel system cleaner i put in (not likely, and yes i did read the directions and put in the proper amount for the 4ish gallons i had in the tank. Bottle said one bottle for 10 gallons so i put in half)

Any information would be nice! I have put 10 miles on with the new pump so if it will cause harm id like to catch it early. I dont see it being different but im not a gearhead nor ever claim to be!

Thanks!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're good and it should be fine.

Q? What happened to the old one? Would you be willing to carefully dissect it taking pictures along the way, an/or willing to ship it to one of us so we can see what went wrong?

Thanks!

CIrrthum10

Reaction score
Visit site
You're good and it should be fine.

Q? What happened to the old one? Would you be willing to carefully dissect it taking pictures along the way, an/or willing to ship it to one of us so we can see what went wrong?

Thanks!

I tossed the old one sorry! I would have sent it out to you too. I believe it just shorted out from my understanding. It worked on and off for a few days and then just quit so id assume short out or the motor just quit

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
The pump on the older models is a diffrerent part # and that one has been discontinued. I went the route of a new pump this past summer. Yes the price hurt very badly. I think possibly the only thing different from older versus the newer one is the fuel pickup arm assembly which can btw be swapped over.

I didn't burn out my pump I broke it. My wife was just home from the hospital and I really had no business deeking around in the garage. I attempted to lift the tank and got lazy about securing it and wham!! I got off easy with no tank damage but it broke the fuel inlet off. An expensive lesson learned.

Also learned not to try and use an FZ6R pump. The ebay seller says it worked fine but I found it wasn't putting out enough pressure to even get the bike to fire, so I had to return it

I am glad you were able to sort it out by getting a used pump for a fair price - those used ones are very hard to come by.