fuel pump issue

jcbarr318

Reaction score
Visit site
Replaced fuel pump on 09 FZ6 with used one from ebay. Now off idle throttle response is very poor esp when cold. Almost like a carbuerated engine. Are the pumps the same for fz6 and fz6R? Did I get the wrong one maybe? Physically it fit perfect. higher rpms are fine
and once warm everything is normal. Ideas?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
The fz6 and fz6r do have different fuel pump part numbers but it looks like they use the same injectors so I'm not sure I might have just added more confusion?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Although that is close to the limit of the greatest demand on the fuel system (wot) I have to ask, what happened to the old one? Specifically if it was a rust in the tank issue, you may have something down stream plugged up.
Either in the rail or at the injectors themselves, could have restrictions.

Have you ran any injector cleaner through it? And FWIW; if you had a prior post about the fuel pump, keeping this in that thread would likely shed some light.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whats your HOT idle RPM's set at?

When starting up cold, does it idle at a higher RPM until it warms up and then the RPM's drop to normal?

Any other changes besides the fuel pump?

And you say the bike runs NORMAL (even off idle) once warmed up?

+1 on did the old pump fail from rust in the tank.. The old pump can come apart and there is a filter screen inside. Can you post a picture of that screen/ inside of the tank if rust was an issue?

Last edited:

jcbarr318

Reaction score
Visit site
Took stock one out, long story. Once back in it wouldn't work. Dealer said pumping at half spec volume. Five hundred bucks for new one so I went on ebay. Runs very low rpm idle until warm. Then picks up. Carefully inspected tank and screen on new pump for debris. Confused. Should have went new I guess. It runs okay just not like before. Vapor lock maybe? I have no idea.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Took stock one out, long story. Once back in it wouldn't work. Dealer said pumping at half spec volume. Five hundred bucks for new one so I went on ebay. Runs very low rpm idle until warm. Then picks up. Carefully inspected tank and screen on new pump for debris. Confused. Should have went new I guess. It runs okay just not like before. Vapor lock maybe? I have no idea.

I wish you would have answered some of the questions posted above. It does help when others are trying to diagnose over the internet. DID YOU HAVE RUST IN THE TANK/DEBRIS WHEN IT CAME APART?? We need to know this if crap/rust got by the filter and is in an injector/rail etc(I was refering to the old pump/old screen)...

As for the long story, it may be relevent, even if there was a screw up, we're trying to help...

Vapor lock, could be, check the line coming out from the top of the tank (underneath-see picture of the inside of the tank, one lines the vent, the other the overflow). If you have a spare key start it with the cap cracked open and see how it runs.. The right side hose, as your sitting on the bike is the VENT.

You may try disconnecting the battery for a bit for an ECU re-set. The ECU raises the idle when cold taking into account temps, and other inputs. You may want to check the main harness going into the ECU as well for any corrosion. A dirty, corroded/loose wire will cause havoc.

BTW, the pump is checked by pressure (36.3 PSI) off the fuel rail, NOT volume (unless their just guesstamating it)

Last edited:

jcbarr318

Reaction score
Visit site
The old pump was pristine. No rust. I had a low speed lay down. Bike ran fine after this but tank was dented. I took tank off to fix dent. Dropped a gas cap screw into tank. Had to take it all apart to get screw out. Thought everything went back together fine. Would not start at all at this point. Volume or pressure, dealer said it was putting out at about half. Did not disconnect battery leads. I will try that. Vent lines are on the checklist too. Will report back. Thanks for all input.

jcbarr318

Reaction score
Visit site
As best I recall Alleman Cycleplex here in Shreveport said old pump was pushing 20psi and should have been 40psi.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: a plugged vent line would take some time to impact fuel pressure. That is, if you open the tank and circle the block 10 times it might pull a vacuum and impede performance. Heck heat from the sun likely expands the fuel at a rate greater than the bike burns it putting around town.

jcbarr318

Reaction score
Visit site
Checked vent lines today. D/c'd battery leads for a few minutes before reconnecting. Ran a bottle of injector cleaner. Also started the bike with fuel cap open. Checked electrical connections.
Slight stutter upon cold start but fell into rhythm much quicker. Response was better too. Ran a few blocks just long enough to get some cleaner mixed into everything but think I may have fixed the prob (with you guys help).
Work nights, so will check the cold start again in the morning. Probably give her a good opening up tomorrow too. Next step will be to pull the plugs and check them if still having problems. Bike has 10,500 miles and never the smallest issue til my genius move of removing the tank. Live and learn.
Thanks all.

What a great bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Checked vent lines today. D/c'd battery leads for a few minutes before reconnecting. Ran a bottle of injector cleaner. Also started the bike with fuel cap open. Checked electrical connections.
Slight stutter upon cold start but fell into rhythm much quicker. Response was better too. Ran a few blocks just long enough to get some cleaner mixed into everything but think I may have fixed the prob (with you guys help).
Work nights, so will check the cold start again in the morning. Probably give her a good opening up tomorrow too. Next step will be to pull the plugs and check them if still having problems. Bike has 10,500 miles and never the smallest issue til my genius move of removing the tank. Live and learn.
Thanks all.

What a great bike.

Excellent! With the fuel cleaner in, it should help (problem or no problem). I run Seafoam on a regular basis, bike runs like a top.

Please post your final results after running it a bit.

*Also, there's several threads about plug wires(changing the plugs) to be aware of:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...mance-decreased-after-drop-parking-lot-3.html POSTS 26 and 29 specifically..

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Replaced fuel pump on 09 FZ6 with used one from ebay. Now off idle throttle response is very poor esp when cold. Almost like a carbuerated engine. Are the pumps the same for fz6 and fz6R? Did I get the wrong one maybe? Physically it fit perfect. higher rpms are fine
and once warm everything is normal. Ideas?

To the OP: I am late to this thread. If you are using an FZ6R pump it probably will not work right or at all. I went that route back in June.. got an FZ6R pump from Ebay and could not get the bike to run at all using it. Seems like the pressure isn't high enough. The seller swore it came off a great running FZ6R with approx 4k on the clock and I believe him.

Unfortunately the FZ6 used pumps are very hard to find. I suppose if you are patient and wait for awhile one will show up. I ended up spending $425 on a new pump because I didn't want to waste any of the riding season. And all of this came about because I was careless lifting the tank and broke the fuel inlet off. Still kicking myself for that one

jcbarr318

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a good wide open run. Have let it cool completely a few times and the cold start problem has resolved. My guess is a small amount of debris snuck thru or possibly a combo of factors. Back on track. Appreciate all the input. The last post on fz6r pump was very good info.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to tie all this together for those search engines. . .

20S-13907-00-00, FUEL PUMP COMP
2009, Yamaha , FZ6RYY/FZ6RYCY/FZ6RYCW/FZ6RYW , FUEL TANK , FUEL
2009, Yamaha , FZ6RYB/FZ6RYCL/FZ6RYL/FZ6RYCB , FUEL TANK , FUEL
2011, Yamaha , FZ6R FZ6RAO/FZ6RACO , FUEL TANK , FUEL PUMP COMP.
2011, Yamaha , FZ6R FZ6RAB/FZ6RACB , FUEL TANK , FUEL PUMP COMP.
2012, Yamaha , FZ6R FZ6RBW/FZ6RBCW , FUEL TANK , FUEL PUMP COMP.
2012, Yamaha , FZ6R FZ6RBB/FZ6RBCB , FUEL TANK , FUEL PUMP COMP.

5VX-13907-01-00, 2004-2008, Yamaha, FZ6, FUEL PUMP COMP.
2004 Yamaha FZ600 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2004 Yamaha FZ600SS FZ6 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2004 Yamaha FZ600SSC FZ6 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2005 Yamaha FZ6T FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2005 Yamaha FZ6TC FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2005 Yamaha FZ6ST FZ6 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2005 Yamaha FZ6STC FZ6 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2006 Yamaha FZS6V FZ6 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2006 Yamaha FZS6VC YZ6 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2008 Yamaha FZ6 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.

5VX-13907-02-00, 2009, Yamaha, FUEL
2009 Yamaha FZS6YL/FZS6YB/FZS6YCL/FZS6YCB FUEL TANK FUEL

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 5VX-13907-01-00 was replaced by 5VX-13907-02-00.

Please keep us posted as to how this works out as the FZ6R pump is nearly 1/2 the cost new.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to tie all this together for those search engines. . .

20S-13907-00-00, FUEL PUMP COMP
2009, Yamaha , FZ6RYY/FZ6RYCY/FZ6RYCW/FZ6RYW , FUEL TANK , FUEL
2009, Yamaha , FZ6RYB/FZ6RYCL/FZ6RYL/FZ6RYCB , FUEL TANK , FUEL
2011, Yamaha , FZ6R FZ6RAO/FZ6RACO , FUEL TANK , FUEL PUMP COMP.
2011, Yamaha , FZ6R FZ6RAB/FZ6RACB , FUEL TANK , FUEL PUMP COMP.
2012, Yamaha , FZ6R FZ6RBW/FZ6RBCW , FUEL TANK , FUEL PUMP COMP.
2012, Yamaha , FZ6R FZ6RBB/FZ6RBCB , FUEL TANK , FUEL PUMP COMP.

5VX-13907-01-00, 2004-2008, Yamaha, FZ6, FUEL PUMP COMP.
2004 Yamaha FZ600 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2004 Yamaha FZ600SS FZ6 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2004 Yamaha FZ600SSC FZ6 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2005 Yamaha FZ6T FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2005 Yamaha FZ6TC FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2005 Yamaha FZ6ST FZ6 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2005 Yamaha FZ6STC FZ6 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2006 Yamaha FZS6V FZ6 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2006 Yamaha FZS6VC YZ6 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.
2008 Yamaha FZ6 FUEL TANK FUEL PUMP COMP.

5VX-13907-02-00, 2009, Yamaha, FUEL
2009 Yamaha FZS6YL/FZS6YB/FZS6YCL/FZS6YCB FUEL TANK FUEL

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 5VX-13907-01-00 was replaced by 5VX-13907-02-00.

Please keep us posted as to how this works out as the FZ6R pump is nearly 1/2 the cost new.

For the 07, it doesn't show in the DROP down list BUT it is the correct part # as what you have posted at the top.. Great job, saved as a sticky on my lap top!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For the 07, it doesn't show in the DROP down list BUT it is the correct part # as what you have posted at the top.. Great job, saved as a sticky on my lap top!

I see different sites have more/less coverage so it depends which one you visit. I think you may have sparked an idea. . . Yep!