fuel pump re-install

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I need to get myself a FSM for the bike...

While I look around the internet, I thought I'd ask here as well: Should the bolts that hold the fuel pump in be installed with a thread lock compound? It had been awhile since I removed them, so I don't recall. They hold an aluminum ring which compresses a plastic flange and a rubber gasket (which I've since learned should be replaced, but mine is undamaged and pliable) so I don't guess the torque value should be very high. If you happen to know the thread lock and torque values, let me know.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are non permanent compounds that should be safe to use.
There is no compound specified in the manual.
Fastener is an M5. There are 4 ea. @ 2.9 ft lbs
When you get a chance PM me you email.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks gentleman! I already installed with the old gasket, so hopefully it holds. I hate the thought of removing the fuel pump again; that is one of the worst jobs.

I made an ordered list of all of the tasks I want to perform on the bike this winter. I should have done that before re-installing the tank as I will likely be removing it again. As long as it is back on, I'm going to test fire and see if I can tolerate the Delkevic cans. If not, I will order the quieter baffles. They have two different baffles, I've got the less quiet ones in now.

I'm very pleased with the color though
sideFZSmall.png

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks gentleman! I already installed with the old gasket, so hopefully it holds. I hate the thought of removing the fuel pump again; that is one of the worst jobs.

I made an ordered list of all of the tasks I want to perform on the bike this winter. I should have done that before re-installing the tank as I will likely be removing it again. As long as it is back on, I'm going to test fire and see if I can tolerate the Delkevic cans. If not, I will order the quieter baffles. They have two different baffles, I've got the less quiet ones in now.

I'm very pleased with the color though
View attachment 74741

I prefer faired over naked FZ6s, but - I have to say, that is very attractive with your setup (flyscreen? mini-flyscreen?). The only thing I would personally take issue with is the cans extending as far as they do, but to each their own. Is that a naked kit from Amazon via China? I just don't recall seeing that setup before.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I pieced the cockpit together individually. The screen is puig if I remember correctly. I modified the guage cluster fairing to fit.

I don't like how far the cans extend either. I might be able to trim an inch or so from the y-pipe outlets to bring them in a bit. It looks a little tighter with the tail in place, but still longer than I'd like.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know you're partly joking, but I would like to shine them up a bit more. They aren't corroded or dirty, but they are discolored. I'm not sure what else I can do for them.

Get them ceramic coated. I sent mine to Jet-Hot in 2109. They blast them then coat them in the finish of your choice. These are pics of the unboxing in 2019 and on the bike in 2021 after I rebuilt / repainted her after a low-side in 2010. They don't look exactly as good as new, but from pic 1 to pic 2 I have done NOTHING to them . They are not chromed, but they are aging VERY WELL. It wasn't cheap at $190, but it was well worth it to take the 'Shiniest Header Trophy' away from Scott :)

Attachments

• 20190324_152103.jpg
    20190324_152103.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210627_161034.jpg
    20210627_161034.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know you're partly joking, but I would like to shine them up a bit more. They aren't corroded or dirty, but they are discolored. I'm not sure what else I can do for them.

Not really kidding.. Your bike is very sharp, the header isn't :( .

Mothers metal polish. The initial cleaning is a PIA but once cleaned up, maybe every other month
you do a quick clean to remove road crap kicked up:

My header, never removed, cleaned on the bike:

And, I dare say, "but it was well worth it to take the 'Shiniest Header Trophy'" , I prefer the look of the polished stock header. Ceramic is likely easier to keep up, but nothing like polished SS (IMO)..