Fuel Tank Capacity (Problems?)

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
Ok, I have a 2007 FZ6 blue model in the US.

In my manual it states that I have a Fuel Tank Capacity of 19.4L=5.13 US gal and a Fuel reserve amount of 3.6L=.95 US gal.

I have been getting about 35 mpg or 132 kpL riding around town. Now that my girlfriend has moved I am doing more highway riding.

The other day the F Trip meter started counting up and I went about 14 miles on it with me having a total of 154 miles on one tank.

When I filled up I over-filled it a little and I still only put in 4 gal or 15L.

WTF? I have always filled up until I can see the fuel and usually it will hit the F-trip and I will get close to 4 gal/15L.

What is my total fuel tank capacity? Does that include the reserve?

I know, I know- there are tons of fuel and mpg threads but everyone else seems to do far better as far as gas consumption.

Any help?

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds pretty normal to me. I had the same issues. I now believe that the tank holds 5.1 gal but only if you fill it to the tippy top (ie put it on the center stand and really fill it up. The 5.1 includes the reserve. However, it doesn't make much sense over fill it, so go by sight and stop when you see the liquid in the tank. I think that the F trip comes when there is around 1 gal left. I don't think this is very precise....maybe plus or minus 0.25 gal. I ran out of gas once when I was trying to see how far I could go on F trip. It was not a smart move.

H

HavBlue

Typically with my style riding I am in the 180 to 200 range when the tach rolls over to the fuel odometer. At that point it is generally 10 to 20 miles before I get gas and then I will put in 4.1 to 4.3 gallons. The most I have ever put in is like 4.8 at around 250 miles and I was at or just above 30 miles on the F trip.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
H

HavBlue

i noticed that too on mine. the manual says its 5.1 but whenever i fill it up the gallons say 3.9-4.1.

If the tank is dry it has a capacity of 5.1 in a perfect scenario. When you fill up just after hitting the reserve side it will likely only hold between roughly 4.1 and 4.3 depending on how far you traveled while on reserve.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If the tank is dry it has a capacity of 5.1 in a perfect scenario. When you fill up just after hitting the reserve side it will likely only hold between roughly 4.1 and 4.3 depending on how far you traveled while on reserve.

And you've got to consider the fuel pump etc. takes up some space...

H

HavBlue

And you've got to consider the fuel pump etc. takes up some space...

Wouldn't matter, when they figure tank capacity the tank part includes all components. It also fails to tell you you ca cheat and get 5.3 in there too.

H

HavBlue

and donnt forget the wieght of the rider, and the rideing style.

Why? The sensor "should" (bad word I know) trigger the roll over at the same level regardless of ride style or rider weight. It's a question of fuel by volume, not how fast the fuel is used.

B

Bo67

In the heat of the summer and based on my riding style, I can get about 200 miles before the f-trip light kicks on. In the winter I get about 175-180 miles before this happens. I don't think you have too much too worry about so far as your mileage goes.
As a sidenote: I wonder why the FZ6 has more fuel capacity than the FZ1?Just wondering...

H

HavBlue

In the heat of the summer and based on my riding style, I can get about 200 miles before the f-trip light kicks on. In the winter I get about 175-180 miles before this happens. I don't think you have too much too worry about so far as your mileage goes.
As a sidenote: I wonder why the FZ6 has more fuel capacity than the FZ1?Just wondering...

The R6, R1 and FZ1 are all real close at roughly 4.7 gallons. This makes the difference about 76 ounces of fuel or a bit more than 1/2 gallon. I could see the difference in the R6 and R1 simply because the top of the tank is flat where the FZ1 and FZ6 have a bit of a bubble at the top. The FZ1 may have a bottom that isn't as deep due to the bigger powerplant.

yamafz6db

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I have a 2007 FZ6 blue model in the US.

In my manual it states that I have a Fuel Tank Capacity of 19.4L=5.13 US gal and a Fuel reserve amount of 3.6L=.95 US gal.

I have been getting about 35 mpg or 132 kpL riding around town. Now that my girlfriend has moved I am doing more highway riding.

The other day the F Trip meter started counting up and I went about 14 miles on it with me having a total of 154 miles on one tank.

When I filled up I over-filled it a little and I still only put in 4 gal or 15L.

WTF? I have always filled up until I can see the fuel and usually it will hit the F-trip and I will get close to 4 gal/15L.

What is my total fuel tank capacity? Does that include the reserve?

I know, I know- there are tons of fuel and mpg threads but everyone else seems to do far better as far as gas consumption.

Any help?
yes your reserve counts, when I hit reserve I have driven 60to70 extra miles and still have not run out.

H

HavBlue

yes your reserve counts, when I hit reserve I have driven 60to70 extra miles and still have not run out.

If the low fuel odometer came on with 1.1 gallon left and the bike were getting 50mpg you should go 55 miles before running dry At 55mpg the bike should go 60.5 miles before running dry. What's the most you have put in the tank while having gone 60-70 miles on the light?