FZ6 "Black project"! Now with Spy Video!

re: FZ6 "Black project"! Now with Spy Video!

h, by the way, if people are wondering what the back half of the bike is going to look like, it's going to look a little like this...

View attachment 31750

Except, it will be a bit "cleaner", in that passenger footpeg mounts will be gone, the under seat box will be gone...and it will have a set of twin pipes, instead of the GYTR single pipe...although i do have a single GYTR pipe i could fit...sounds gnarly too!

:rockon:
You and Ozzie will be very snug on that mate lol.

good work fella.

Nelly

You and Ozzie will be very snug on that mate lol.

good work fella.

Nelly

That's the whole idea Nelly, get rid of the pillion seat completely, that way there is no way i can ever offer him a "lift" again!

No man loving around here....i reckon that seat unit could probably "endure someone of a weight around 50kg's, no more....so only those of the more "petite" nature would ever have a chance of getting a "quicky" on the black bike!

:BLAA:

Well it looks like i am going to be getting a CF rear hugger after all, after the first one dissapeared in transit, we, myself , and the guy who makes them have agreed to have another go at sorting it a 2nd time...

Most happy, and very relieved...

:thumbup:

are you still monting your steering damper? if so how?

I went and saw a bloke yesterday about making a custom mount for the steering damper, and he doesnt think it will be too much trouble to mount the steering damper on one side of the bike....will keep you posted on that one!

In other news, weighed all the bolts i have taken off the bike, and either replaced with titanium fasteners, or just wont need with the new seat...the bolts taken off weighed 1.6kg's, the replacement titanium fasteners weighed in at just over 400grams.

That's a 1.2kg weight saving!!! NICE!

Next on the titanium front, will be titanium axles, wheel nuts, and brake disc fasteners....

But today, i think i am going to get just about everything back from the paint shop....which means....

TOMORROW - SATRURDAY IS RE-BUILD DAY! Woop! Woop!

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Awesome! Make sure to post pictures of the progress after you get the painted bits back!

Awesome! Make sure to post pictures of the progress after you get the painted bits back!

Lol! Yes, i will be so keen to get everything back on the bike, that i may forget to do that...would not be the first time...

Freakin excited!

I can't wait to see it in the flesh in February :D

Yes, i cant wait for that either, cause it means we will be riding over to PI, and Tassie! the other thing i cant contain my excitement for!!!

Pity i wont be able to take the black bike...

:thumbup:

Ok, just got back from the paint shop!Not everything is finished....the seat unit, the tank, and the sub -frame all still need a bit of work before i can have them back... Seat unit still needs to be cleaned up, and have a Yamaha Logo put onto the rear half of it. The Sub-frame just needs to be painted, and have it's new undertray added...but it is now clean, and free of any brackets, footpeg mounts, etc, that are no longer needed. The petrol tank (for my other FZ6) is also not quite finished...

But i do have photo's of where the seat unit, and the sub-frame are at...
View attachment 31804
As you can see, the sub -frame is just about ready for paint...
View attachment 31805
And the seat unit, well that has been painted, but needs a clean up, a Yamaha Logo, some clear coat, and a polish.! But you can see how well it has come up! :thumbup:
View attachment 31803

But i did get a lot of the other stuff back....

1st cab of the rank...the side stand, and FE, both now painted in FZ6 frame grey...
View attachment 31806

Both came up like new...after the powdercoat had been stripped off the FE, and my previous dodgy paint job on the side stand had been stripped!

Then there is all the brackets for the headlight to mount from, the steering stop for the clip-ons, and the mounting plate for the single seat unit....all painted in a black satin, the same black as the rest of the bike, but not gloss...they look mint...( ignore the dodgy looking drill holes in the headlight mount brackets....they work, and none can be seen once it is all fitted together)!
View attachment 31807

The Bellypan....a Puig item, was previously a fake CF look, a pretty convincing fake, but nonetheless, a fake! Si i got it painted the same colour as the headlight, seat unit, and tank...came up better than it was when i bought it!
View attachment 31808

View attachment 31809

Then finally, the Ripper streetfighter mask i bought from Maverick...this was a bit worse for wear, after poor Mav's stack, so it needed a paint regardless, but the results are far better than i thought....the gloss black, looks amazing...all the black has the slightest bit of fleck in it, so it sparkles ever so discretely....the back of the headlight is now painted the same satin black as all the brackets, etc...
View attachment 31810

View attachment 31811

View attachment 31812

Overall, i am exstatic, but i am a little sad that the seat unit, and the sub-frame were not ready today, but i would rather wait, and have the standard of finish that the painter has managed with everything else...

So, tomorrow, it's time to re-mount the headlight! cant do anything else till the sub-frame, and seat unit come back from the shop..

So, tomorrow, it will be a case of fabbing up some decent waterproof electrical connector plugs, and fitting the light...

I almost forgot! The tail light! As mentioned before, a smoked LED integrated tail/indicator FZ1 aftermarket number! This will mount flush with the rear of the modified racing single seat unit, and mount to the back of the sub-frame, and rear of seat unit.

For this to be possible, we had to fab up a bracket that would give the light a solid, mount, that wont shake, or vibrate...so we used the 3 mounting studs on the back of the light as our attachment points, and used rubber grommets to hold the bracket in place...is as solid as a rock, and as it will be mounted within the rear of the seat unit, between the sub-frame, and the rear lip of the seat unit, it is effectively held captive in this area anyway...

This bracket was rather tricky to fab up as it had to be absolutely perfect in where it sat, as the tail light is dead centre of the rear of the bike, and it has to be "middle"!

So, here is what the bracket looks like, mounted to the light, painted, and ready to be mounted...
View attachment 31813

View attachment 31814

View attachment 31815

Lookin' good Jamie. Hmm, missus is working tomorrow, might have to come around in the morning for a look "in person".

No stress. I will be up and about, bright and early! Just give me a buzz to be sure!

Looking good mate :thumbup: , hanging for every part must be painful though :(

Yep! Especially now! All I really want is the sub-frame back...then I could put the exhaust back on, etc, etc...

Is all good, Jamie from topcoat reckons I will have it Monday or Tuesday.

This way at least, I will finesse over the installation of the headlight tomorrow! Which is a good thing!

Back