FZ6 Charging System- Myth or Reality?

Xlrrp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I have noticed more than once on this site and other's (most recently the FZ6 thread on Advrider.com) that there is a concern that the charging system is not strong enough for accessories and a dead battery may result. I just saw this subject come up in a thread related to BD42's headlight mod and having both sides on all the time.

Maybe my bike is unique, but I ride year round. I run a heated vest (usually on the low or medium setting), heated grips (usually at 50% or 75%) and my high beam headlight. At times I have my Iphone on a charger and my Sena 10 connected to a 12v outlet as well.

I have never had an issue with the bike not wanting to start or even starting slow. Seems to have a full battery charge every time. My commute is about 25 miles each way.

Anyway, maybe I'm just lucky. Am I the only one doing this who is not having issues or can other FZ6's handle the same additional load? Just wondering because I continue to see this brought up.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I have noticed more than once on this site and other's (most recently the FZ6 thread on Advrider.com) that there is a concern that the charging system is not strong enough for accessories and a dead battery may result. I just saw this subject come up in a thread related to BD42's headlight mod and having both sides on all the time.

Maybe my bike is unique, but I ride year round. I run a heated vest (usually on the low or medium setting), heated grips (usually at 50% or 75%) and my high beam headlight. At times I have my Iphone on a charger and my Sena 10 connected to a 12v outlet as well.

I have never had an issue with the bike not wanting to start or even starting slow. Seems to have a full battery charge every time. My commute is about 25 miles each way.

Anyway, maybe I'm just lucky. Am I the only one doing this who is not having issues or can other FZ6's handle the same additional load? Just wondering because I continue to see this brought up.

There are threads on the forum that list the wattage ratings of the charging system. If you have an unhealthy battery with poor depth of charge you will end up with a poor exchange and low battery, especially if you are doing a lot of low rpm, stop n go riding. The system is capable of running accessories. The USB/cell phone chargers use only a small amount of wattage compared to heated accessories which will use a lot more wattage. A lot of failure is do to poor management and that would include poor winterizing leaving the battery to fend for itself with no check up or tender. Battery health is also affected by the type of chemistry it employs and the very first charge that is given to the battery when put into service. I've had good experience with my batteries and charging. My battery is 4 years old and still performs like new. :)

Last edited:

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
I run heated overgrips (wired straight to the battery - :spank:, I know) and ride all throughout the winter. I usually just cut them off and let my hands fend for myself once I get off of the interstate.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Of course it's reality, it's simple math. FZ6 has x amount of excess output available, and you have y amount of accessories taking power. If y is larger than x, you're going to discharge the battery and risk having a non starting bike. A volt meter hooked up to the battery will be able to tell what the current state of your charging system is.

I'm too lazy right now to look up how much excess power the FZ6 has, but it's been listed on this board a few times before. You can check the power draw specs for your accessories through their respective companies. Figure out the math to see if you're in the clear or not.

The FZ6 has a middle of the ground charging system. Of course it can handle some accessories, but running a neck to toe heated setup probably isn't the best idea.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't want to beat this to death but its really about circumstances. If you take out more than you put in, you're rewarded with a dead battery. If you habitually flog the bike, you're not likely to have charging issues - just tickets! Blah

Even if your pulling 310 watts (its MAX capacity) but keep it above 2500 RPMs 90% of the time its happy. Its the extended duration below 2500 RPM coupled with minimal charge time ("must fill the bucket", see below) and the battery looses ground until its depleted.

The battery has reserve capacity and that's what allows us to start and run even on a low battery. So you can park it and later start it on a low battery and its OK as long as you "fill the bucket up" so to speak. You can only drain the bucket completely so many times before you end up buying a new battery.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 07 performs the same as yours, with the BD43 mod, NO heated grips and the idle set lower than recommended (at 1,000). Voltage is breaking dead even on mine at idle. The bike is run 365 a year, so "cold, down time" is non-existant.

When real cold down here (rarely), I do run a heated Widder vest with heated Widder gauntlet gloves. When under 4K RPMs, (heavy traffic, stop light, etc), I turn off the gear.

No issues at all...

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
My 07 performs the same as yours, with the BD43 mod, NO heated grips and the idle set lower than recommended (at 1,000). Voltage is breaking dead even on mine at idle. The bike is run 365 a year, so "cold, down time" is non-existant.

When real cold down here (rarely), I do run a heated Widder vest with heated Widder gauntlet gloves. When under 4K RPMs, (heavy traffic, stop light, etc), I turn off the gear.

No issues at all...

Real cold for you is what? 45? Sounds like a nice warm spring day here!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Real cold for you is what? 45? Sounds like a nice warm spring day here!

Below 45F, the gear comes out. :rolleyes:

But it does drop as low as the high 20's once or twice a winter... Add in wind chill, its kinda silly NOT to use the gear if you have it and be un-comfortable.

Road trips up north to the Smokies, depending on the time of the year, gear goes as well...It snows up there too, this last winter, a whole bunch.. :thumbup:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Below 45F, the gear comes out. :rolleyes:

But it does drop as low as the high 20's once or twice a winter... Add in wind chill, its kinda silly NOT to use the gear if you have it and be un-comfortable.

Road trips up north to the Smokies, depending on the time of the year, gear goes as well...It snows up there too, this last winter, a whole bunch.. :thumbup:

Sadly the high 20's are all we'll see today. I hear you on being warm though - no reason to be miserable - and riding in the low 40s can definitely be miserable - less so than in the low 30s though. Though after a long winter, the frozen thumbs are a welcome change from the cage!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sadly the high 20's are all we'll see today. I hear you on being warm though - no reason to be miserable - and riding in the low 40s can definitely be miserable - less so than in the low 30s though. Though after a long winter, the frozen thumbs are a welcome change from the cage!

I grew up on Long Island NY, so I'm familar with snow, the cold, etc. Been back there once since 1979 for a wedding and I don't miss the snow or cold..

Its sunny today, the cold fronts that you guys see, do usually make it down here but not nearly as bad. Its probably mid 50's(F), windy (20-25 mph) right now, but nice for a change.

Summer will be here soon enough :( for us (rainy season, humidity) but all the "snowbirds" (seasonal residents) are leaving to go back up north and traffic lightens up alot, restaurant prices drop back to normal and the waters warm enough to swim again (mid-high 80's).. ;)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
/return..... Blah

Some empirical data from a USD 08, with Dual headlight mod and original battery. At the time of this testing, the bike was sitting for 3 months, I don't use a trickle, just park it with a full charge and leave it be. No starting unless I intend to ride it.

As found: 12.90V (the same as last year after sitting for 4 months vs 3)
Charge cuts in just over 2350 RPM @14.26V
1300 RPM - 12.10V w/dual headlights (after 10 minutes of idle 210°F w/fan on)
2500 RPM - 14.25V fan on
2500 RPM - 14.30V fan off
1300 RPM - 12.82V fan off (after 10 min idle)

From this I see the battery loosing ground at idle pretty quickly thus its running on reserve capacity with dual head lights and fan on.

Please note: a healthy fully charged battery IS NOT 12.0 Volts - its 12.75 to 12.95V depending on its temperature.

JJD952 - Electrical

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its extremly rare my engine see's 200 degrees (F) much less the fan kicking on. I've never tested the voltage with the fan on as I'd have to sit for 15 minutes for it come on. Its NEVER KICKED on for me as I avoid the heavy traffic and work my way around it.

And yes, it does work, heard it run when the PO's son was learning to ride (and learn the clutch' s idiosyncrasy((SP?))

Should I ever encounter that situation, ie, stuck in traffic for an hour, simply unplug the HB, there's 55 extra watts right there.

And yes, a battery @ 12 volts is at 50-75% and needs charging..

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its extremly rare my engine see's 200 degrees (F) much less the fan kicking on. I've never tested the voltage with the fan on as I'd have to sit for 15 minutes for it come on. Its NEVER KICKED on for me as I avoid the heavy traffic and work my way around it.

And yes, it does work, heard it run when the PO's son was learning to ride (and learn the clutch' s idiosyncrasy((SP?))

Should I ever encounter that situation, ie, stuck in traffic for an hour, simply unplug the HB, there's 55 extra watts right there.

And yes, a battery @ 12 volts is at 50-75% and needs charging..

Me/mine either - I abused my battery for the 4'uhm! The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one! ;)

Only when commuting and/or stuck in traffic is the fan on so its rare for me as its mostly ridden for pleasure. Which has little to no idle time.. .. ..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed, but just to reply the ops initial post, no, I haven't had issues either (even with the BD43 mod, occasional use of heated gear), etc, with the battery getting run down.

I suspect, with as easy as the FZ spins over, (easily twice as fast as the FJR), its much easier on the battery. The FJR, (within a month), every three years, needed a new battery (Yuasa).

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
I mounted a simple voltmeter some time ago. Now I have the chance to monitor the voltage on the bike.

When I run both headlights the volts are 13.9 while riding, drop to about 12.6 at idle (traffic lights etc) - but slightly above 2000 rpms and I get 13.9.

When I activate heated grips (Oxford, 50W) I get 13.7 while riding, no matter how high rpms are and about 12.4 on Idle.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Even though I trust the charging system if I ever run the dual headlight mod I'd wait to simultaneously install HIDs because I'd be enhancing light output as well as I'd be lessening the strain on my charging system.

**Come on headlight, die on me!** haha

nihadpek

Reaction score
Visit site
I mounted a simple voltmeter some time ago. Now I have the chance to monitor the voltage on the bike.

When I run both headlights the volts are 13.9 while riding, drop to about 12.6 at idle (traffic lights etc) - but slightly above 2000 rpms and I get 13.9.

When I activate heated grips (Oxford, 50W) I get 13.7 while riding, no matter how high rpms are and about 12.4 on Idle.

how much RPM is idle set of your FZ?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I wonder if there are any changes to RR from 06 to 08. Ours seem to behave a little different but that could be gauge error or yours simply has more load than mine. FWIW my high was over 14v

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
When I installed my heated grips, I also installed a cheap ebay voltmeter. I went out for a ride one night in November with my dual headlight mod on, my heated grips, and my heated jacket. Battery voltage was showing between 11.6-11.8 the whole ride... sure enough, 30 miles later, I was push-starting the bike after I stopped for a picture.

Sena/gps/phone chargers drain very little power.

justaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
I always run with the high beams on and have LED accessory lights and have never had an issues.

Now lets hook up and bangin a** stereo with some 12 inch subs and see what kind of issue we might have.