FZ6 compared to the FZ6R

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought an '08 FZr - but don't know if it is a "6" or not. How do I tell ?

Thanks.

Are you sure it is an R? The FZ6R was introduced to us in 2009. As of 2008, there was the FZ6 and FZ1. Pics would tell us all what you have. :thumbup:

Oh and :welcome:

fergie.g

Lives for the ride!
Reaction score
Visit site
Both yourself and Dankatz had it wrong. I was perplexed with this as the previous owner mentioned to me that they had it remapped for 2006 model years and up and he knew the bike inside and out. Wikipedia states that they started in 2006, then again in 2007 to make it better. 2008 remained technically unchanged from 2007.

Yamaha FZ6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this clarifies it. :thumbup:

2007 and up had the new map.

fergie.g

Lives for the ride!
Reaction score
Visit site
Obviously when you up the cc's any bike will make the FZ6 relatively minute compared to our bikes, brah. Apples to apples haha :BLAA:

Plenty is not the same as "a lot" :)

I agree 100% that FZ6 has plenty of mid range, but once you ride a 1000cc bike, you quickly realize how it makes FZ6 feel almost slow at sub-6k rpms.

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
Here we go. I'm headed out tonight to see a guy about a bike. An FZ6R. It's practically brand new. (2009 with only 3500km on it). For the past few months I've been so focused on an FZ6, that the R has suddenly come back into the picture. I'm a little intimidated by the FZ6, perhaps the R will be better for me? UGH! What to do what to do!

Taku

Not a senile member.
Reaction score
Visit site
Here we go. I'm headed out tonight to see a guy about a bike. An FZ6R. It's practically brand new. (2009 with only 3500km on it). For the past few months I've been so focused on an FZ6, that the R has suddenly come back into the picture. I'm a little intimidated by the FZ6, perhaps the R will be better for me? UGH! What to do what to do!

I say just go with what your butt cheeks tell you... If you have the chance to take both bikes for a little spin it'll make your decision much easier.