Need Help FZ6 coolant reservoir/expansion tank hose routing

yzrfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, I'm sorry for the bad picture but it's all I have at the moment. I'm not familiar with FZ6s and it happens the 2001 R6 I bought has an FZ6 engine thrown into it, and since it's a bit of a wankjob and I had some troubles with the cooling system I was wondering where the hoses from the coolant reservoir cap connect? I can't find anything about it in the manual. On my bike one of them seems to be going to the top onto the radiator while the other is just hanging below (2nd pic) as if set to drain out onto the road, does that mean it won't return the excess coolant back into the system once it cools, but dump it out?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-05-24 at 23.17.15.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-24 at 23.17.15.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 1684963256087.png
    1684963256087.png
    206.4 KB · Views: 8

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The one that is vented to atmosphere is fine...but I wouldn't want it inline with the rear tire because as you assumed, it just dumps. I've seen friends adapt a small bottle to the vent which has two benefits; 1) it tells you that something is wrong because you are venting coolant (it's a closed system and should only vent when the presure is too great), and 2) it collects the coolant and keeps it from going under your tire.

yzrfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! Cheers for the idea too, I'll see what I can do about that, coolant on the tyre definitely wouldn't be fun.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus one on moving the vent line but, the coolant tank catches and
replaces the coolant as it expands and contracts (just like your car).

It has high and low marks (of course) and if you monitor occasionally,
will let you know (it looses coolant) if there's an issue.

Putting another tank, to do the same thing, doesn't make much sense to me, why not a 3rd tank too?

yzrfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Alrighty, thanks for the info. I was wondering if it was normal to have the 2nd line just hanging to vent out, thought it had to run back to the cooling system to return the coolant as it contracts, but I suppose it's the first main hose that does that?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, besides venting to the atmosphere, the tank has to be able to "equalize" as the fluid in the tank expands and contracts-it CAN'T be sealed .

As long as your between the lines and the system is operating properly, it isn't an issue.
Now if say, the cap failed (Rad cap) and a boil over (not normal), you'd get spillage out of that tank..

But normally, no spillage should come out of that tank.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One more fine point, in order for an expansion tank to properly allow a closed loop flow, the tank has to be at the correct height. That is why whoever did your conversion likely just vented it. The OEM placement for the expansion tank on the FZ6 is back by the passenger seat. You might check to see if there is such a mount on the R6.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed about the engine / bike but that coolant bottle is from an S2

I'd think the engine #, once deciphered, would help with when the engine was manufactured.

I can't think of any engine itself differences between the S1 and S2 (besides the bottle up front), exhaust.