ugg - coolant spilling out of reservoir

vb7prog

Reaction score
Visit site
worried i may have head gasket leak.

a bit back i was low on coolant, so decided to change the radiator cap which looked like the seals had gone (OEM). I changed it to an after market 1.6 bar high pressure cap. Then a bit later, my coolant reservoir developed cracks, I replaced the reservoir, but upon reflection worried that it could be the new cap over pressurizing the system and shooting extremely hot water in the reservoir hot enough to crack it, so I decided to order another after market cap as not to break the "new" reservoir. I ordered a 1.1 bar (same as stock I believe), it comes with a temperature sensor (NICE). but coolant keeps overflowing from the reservoir relief tube, this is better going through the cracks, but still undesirable. The cap is not turning all the way, so I am unsure if the cap is sealing correctly.

Bike also seems to just run hot regardless of caps, recently....

1. If i use an "over pressured" radiator cap does that cause damage to the cooling system, or is the valve that opens independent of the cap, so the cap is fine if super tight

2. since three radiator caps all seem to have issues and the cracking of coolant reservoir, is it possible i have head gasket leak, i don't seem to see white smoke out the tail pipe any other ways to check?

3. is it more likely that its just a bad aftermarket cap that doesn't seal correctly (certainly has the symptoms), just hate to have to buy yet another cap ;(