Rider99

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope that someone can help me?
Where can i get parts to my Fz6-05
I would really appreciate it I can’t relay find anything to the stator.
Thanks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum!

I think this is what you're looking for. CRANKCASE COVER 1 At least you'll have a part number as I'm sure you'll get the part from somewhere on your side of the pond. It looks like your stator may have also taken the hit so you might do a resistance check to see that you have .2 to .3 ohms on the 3 windings and no short to the casing from the winding. You should see wide open/OL to the casing. :)

andoman

Reaction score
Visit site
My first post here. Been lurking or a year or so and just joined recently. I'm resurrecting this thread after finding it while searching for answers.

I'm in the same boat, but my damage is much less. Stator appears ok, but the cover was cracked enough to let a lot of oil drain out while the bike was still on its side.

I have a critical question:
-After a lowside, the engine ran for a bit. What are the chances that pieces of metal from the broken cover were ingested into the engine via the oil system?
I guess I'm really asking if the oil circulation path would promote or hinder the circulation of foreign matter introduced from behind the stator cover.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Last edited:

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably minimal due to gravity assuming your talking about the case pieces the only way to find out would be to drain the rest of the oil refill rerun and check again orrrr to tear it apart.

andoman

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply!
Gravity did pull a lot of oil out of the cracked cover while it laid on its side. A lot more in the the truck bed on the way home.
I can't see tearing it down for a cracked stator cover. I'm hoping that the oil behind the cover was at an end point in the oil circulation path. Hoping that it heads through a screen or the filter before it gets to oil pump gears, tranny, or oil jets. Just in case some bits from the damaged cover ended up in the oil.

Thanks again.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
With the bike is on it's side you're more likely to suffer from oil starvation then metal making it into the oil pump. Plus there is a screen over the oil pickup. Wonder why it keep running I though all the FZ6's have a tip over switch.

andoman

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the well-wishes.
My good friend was riding my FZ6 and he went down after the lead mustang in a herd of wild horses that charged across the highway t-boned him. He suffered no more than a couple of bruises. Good thing the horse didn't fall on him. Could have been much worse.
I was right behind him on my FZ1 and braked hard. By some miracle I and the rest of the herd of a dozen or more didn't make contact though I passed right through them.
BTW: Frame sliders will be on both my FZ's before they see the road again...

andoman

Reaction score
Visit site
With the bike is on it's side you're more likely to suffer from oil starvation then metal making it into the oil pump. Plus there is a screen over the oil pickup. Wonder why it keep running I though all the FZ6's have a tip over switch.

I didn't know there was a tip-over switch. In my mind's eye I recall the rear tire spinning after the bike slid to a stop. So I assume that it ran for at least some time. I could be completely confused and worrying over nothing.
Knowing that there is a screen before the oil pick-up, and given the amount of oil that ran out the stator cover, I'm feeling pretty good about replacing the cover and firing it up.

Thanks again for all the info.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't know there was a tip-over switch. In my mind's eye I recall the rear tire spinning after the bike slid to a stop. So I assume that it ran for at least some time. I could be completely confused and worrying over nothing.
Knowing that there is a screen before the oil pick-up, and given the amount of oil that ran out the stator cover, I'm feeling pretty good about replacing the cover and firing it up.

Thanks again for all the info.

The Tip over switch is located under the right side pod. I believe it states "UP" on it.

Before you go any farther, make sure you didn't damage your MAIN CENTER BLOCK CASE. One member recently had similar damage (probably a bit worse) as yours but busted a small piece of the block (at the front edge of the stator cover). He eventually had it welded/re-threaded and ultimatly saved the block/engine.

That stator cover new isn't that expensive new, guys are parting out bikes all the time should you want a used one. Check the "for sale" section.

Re junk in the engine, as posted above, as long as the engine bearings didn't get oil starved you should be OK.

IMHO, while that cover is off, drain the oil obviously fully and spray some brake cleaner / vacuum the area of damage out of both the side and oil drain hole to flush it as clean as possible. You can also slightly tilt the bike to the left on the center stand by putting a 1/2" piece of plywood under the right foot of the centerstand to help flush any crap out of the drain hole...

Putting some cheap oil in the engine and draining (and CHECKING IT FOR DEBRIS- don't run it) should confirm you likely got most/all of the crap out, a cheap investment as part of the fix IMO.

Also, be aware, the stator is usually held onto the cover with torx screws with some
really good loctite from Yamaha.

Last edited: